N-Europe

Top Gear Series 13

spirited away

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've enjoyed this series so far but I would agree that there hasn't be an episode yet that is as good as those in older serieseseses. I think the guests this year are generally better and I like that they are actually reviewing cars that cost less than £80,000 so normal people can actually afford them, but we need a more epic race than one against a letter, surely.

I think the high point so far this series was when James May went in the car with the rally driver at the abandoned airport and the biker turned up. That was some breathtaking driving, it really was.

I think that maybe they just didn't get lucky in filming, and a couple of the big things they planned didn't turn out as good / epic as they'd hoped - ie the episode in France last week. I also got that impression in the Japan episode a couple of series' ago, which ended up rather meh but the producers might have been hoping better from.

That rally driver was indeed insane, but it wasn't the most engaging thing as all it was was James May sitting in the passenger seat going woah! I think TG is generally better when the presenters are more involved, as opposed to just some (admittedly amazing) stunts.

I thought tonight's episode was pretty poor, apart from Clarkson shouting 'Manwell!' there wasn't anything too great.

That midget was a dickhead, I don't care if they gave him orders on what to do or whatever, he was just a nob.

I liked the new BMW Z4 etc... test at the start, and the dinosaur stuff was pretty cool (if pointless and random) I thought... love me some dino's!!

But yeah, other than that not much else...

Rubbish guest aswell.

the FUCK? That dude is fucking awesome!

Well said Dan, Brian Johnson is a legend!

Tonight's ep wasn't epic, but they all can't be! Loved the idea of the co-drivers. Also did anyone read that James May is buildin a 2 storey house entirely of Lego for another beeb programme he has? Captain Slow is quite the legend also!

AC/DC might be great, but personally (and as Jezza said himself) I had no idea who the band were made up of, so I wasn't fussed either way.

Well, they had quite a few line-up changes. The first lead singer died, as well. So, people can be forgiven for not knowing who is actually a member. I guess.

Still, I thought he was an awesome guess. A nice guy, passionate about cars, and funny. Good guest, I thought.

How final did that last piece feel, maybe it's the last ever one. I've been pretty disappointed with this series; Top Gear has always been extremely contrived but the content of this series hasn't been good enough to mask that. Tonight's episode really felt like ''We have no budget, let's just try and be funny'' and it didn't work. The piece with the advert was cringe worthy, although I thought the two Ad execs did very well playing hard ball.

I think it's lost the magic. But I'd still watch if/when it comes back for another series. :heh:

According the top gear blog:

We wanted to go out with a bang so we saved the best guest until last, brought back the Cool Wall with Richard on the cherry picker and ended on that epic (but dark) Aston V12 film. There was talk of ending the series as that faded out – no credits, nothing.

What happens now? A little bit of time off for the crew and then we’re straight back into filming for series 14 later in the year. If you want to wade in with your comments for that, now’s your chance

The episode has some great moments (Hammond and the cool wall, some of the adverts), but it was the weakest of the series. Ending was terrible, the guest was someone I'd never heard of and fairly uninteresting. I can't remember what else happened.

The episode has some great moments (Hammond and the cool wall, some of the adverts), but it was the weakest of the series. Ending was terrible, the guest was someone I'd never heard of and fairly uninteresting. I can't remember what else happened.

You dont know who Jay Leno is? :o

You dont know who Jay Leno is? :o

Haha! That is pretty shocking. :heh:

He is a MASSIVE car fanatic as well. His garage is like bigger than the world.

I do think they maybe need to make the series a little less staged. It's all gone a bit WWE.

Loved the ending to the episode, but I agree it did make the whole thing feel like a "this is it, this is the end of Top Gear" scenario. It was a 4 minute clip of a fantastic car, minimal input from Jeremy, and extensive use of the Top Gear Team's amazing graphics work. It felt like they wanted it to be a showcase piece that they could be happy to end on, even if it did feel...spooky.

I thought the rest of the episode was great, too. The Cool Wall is brilliant as always and Jay Leno was a great guest to have on. Can't believe you don't know who he is, Cube :heh: But I also agree with Daft - for me, I can't stand the news scenes because the staged/scripted jokes are just so painful and obvious and not funny. And I hate how they're trying to make James May look like an idiot when he's clearly not an idiot at all.

I actually thought that was one of, if not the best episodes of the series, bar the last 10 minutes with Jay and the Aston ending. M

Maybe the 3 have been getting tired of each other now or something.

Quote of that episode was when they revealed a really dumb advert, there was a short silence and Jeremy just said 'stunned'. There were a few good lines in that ending programme. Although it wasn't like the usual series ending because they didn't have the Top Gear awards and they didn't wave goodbye or make a spech about it so I think there's more.

If they are to continue, more caravan launching please!