NEurope

Here's some pics of my first car that I bought a few days ago :).

16931_304010215850_739125850_5019409_4611955_n.jpg

16931_304010250850_739125850_5019410_6453998_n.jpg

It's a 1996 SEAT Ibiza 1.4 petrol, lovely wee car in very good nick, only prob is cos I'm learning in a diesel that I'm stalling a lot when I try to start up at a junction or what not, so any tips on the best way to start a petrol engine when taking off?

It's a 1996 SEAT Ibiza 1.4 petrol, lovely wee car in very good nick, only prob is cos I'm learning in a diesel that I'm stalling a lot when I try to start up at a junction or what not, so any tips on the best way to start a petrol engine when taking off?

Just be a bit heavier on the accelerator, and hold it on the biting point for a bit longer. My instructor said to take 6 seconds from finding the biting point and slowly bringing the clutch pedal up. That's useful when it's a car you don't know. But you'll get used to the clutch in your own car.

Yeah, more gas. With a lot of diesels you can get them moving in first without even using the gas pedal. That aint the same in a petrol. Don't worry, you'll get used to it soon enough.

Just be a bit heavier on the accelerator, and hold it on the biting point for a bit longer. My instructor said to take 6 seconds from finding the biting point and slowly bringing the clutch pedal up. That's useful when it's a car you don't know. But you'll get used to the clutch in your own car.

6 seconds? Really? That seems excessive to me. Anything more than 3 would seem a bit much to me, even in a car I didn't know.

All of this discussion is a good incentive to learn in a petrol.

6 seconds? Really? That seems excessive to me. Anything more than 3 would seem a bit much to me, even in a car I didn't know.

All of this discussion is a good incentive to learn in a petrol.

If you can find an instructor that would teach you in a petrol!!

You'd basically have to buy and use your own car/teach yourself.

I didn't even touch a petrol car 'til after I passed, and it was a hard hard learning curve.

I don't think any of my mates learnt in a diesel, instructors are getting stingy!

I never find the change that bad to be honest, as a new driver you do get very accustomed to the car you learn in though. Give it a few days after you pass your test and you'll be just fine in your own car.

soag,, the Seat seems to be in very nice condition, bet your looking forward to taking to the open road in it. I like the reg too, anything with a Z or X gets my approval.

I thought that at first. But the told me when I was first learning, and the car shuddered and kangarood a bit. It does help.

If you can find an instructor that would teach you in a petrol!!

You'd basically have to buy and use your own car/teach yourself.

I didn't even touch a petrol car 'til after I passed, and it was a hard hard learning curve.

The first instructor I found (and the one I went with) used a petrol.

And you should all try driving a rotary engine car. Imagine the gap in torque between a diesel and a petrol. It's about the same going from petrol to rotary. Awesome engines above 3k revs though.

Theres no scrapyard near here (or something) so I just bought a new battery off eBay. lOlz. :p

With a battery I personally would've gone to somewhere like halfords for the guarantee.

With a battery I personally would've gone to somewhere like halfords for the guarantee.

ditto - seeing as the battery is a pretty crucial part of the car...

I'm sure we're all aware how fucked you are with a dodgy one and your car won't start.

My next door neighbour bought a car before he passed, and he obviously couldn't afford the insurance (17 year old - male - learner - in northern ireland - that's big money) so he sat in his car rocking out or whatever and got through about 3 batteries!

3875297852_a2c535dbd3.jpg

Do want. There's one going for £500 that's not in too bad nick but is in Bristol, and it's brown. There's one in Glossop but is £1400. It's had a restore as well. Might have a look at the £500 one though. It's not a lot to lose.

ditto - seeing as the battery is a pretty crucial part of the car...

I'm sure we're all aware how fucked you are with a dodgy one and your car won't start.

My next door neighbour bought a car before he passed, and he obviously couldn't afford the insurance (17 year old - male - learner - in northern ireland - that's big money) so he sat in his car rocking out or whatever and got through about 3 batteries!

It came with a guarantee!

A bit late but...

Theres no scrapyard near here (or something) so I just bought a new battery off eBay. lOlz. :p

How can you not have a scrapyard near you? They're everywhere.

A bit late but...

How can you not have a scrapyard near you? They're everywhere.

He will have, i think hes just saying ther isn't beccause he doesn't know of one.

My car ticked over 10k miles this weekend. So I've averaged just under 1k a month since I had it. Hoping that the next 12 months won't be quite so high!

will nobody here likes you.

Because your car is too cool.

Come back when you have a fiesta.

I've been thinking of buying a scooter, would that be acceptable?

OK people I would like your input.

There's this Vanden Plas. It's £500. They have listed it under car literature so I asked them about this and they said it was a mistake and that they are going to re-list it as a different category. However they offered me first refusal on the car.

Hi Sam, I don't know how the car ended up in the wrong category and thanks for bringing it to my attention. I have just been in touch with e-bay but they say there is no way to change from non motoring to motoring and have suggested I close down this listing and re-list it free. As you are possibly interested in buying the car I think it only fair for you to have first refusal before I re-list it. Yes it is a car exactly as described complete with it's history. I will wait for your comments before I re-list it but would appreciate contact from you to let me know if you are buying her or not as it is a buy it now price, not an auction. Kind regards. Shaz & Phil

What do you guys think? The price is an absolute bargain. Which is slightly worrying. But it's less to lose if things aren't great.

I've been thinking of buying a scooter' date=' would that be acceptable?[/quote']

Depends which scooter.

Edited by MoogleViper

Theory Test tomorrow. Been reading the highway code, running through questions in the book and online. I've successfully mastered the two on the DSA site (only found out today you could check the answers, I'm a spoon). Bit nervous of the hazard perception, my observation is shocking, plus I've only slightly practiced online.