NEurope

The insurance for that car turned out to be well out of my range anyway... sigh.

The insurance for that car turned out to be well out of my range anyway... sigh.

What's "out of your range"?

You have a decent ncb surely..?

My insurance is £850, woulda been £1,000 without my mum on my insurance. Parentals have many...many uses :D My cars only a piddly thing so its great for insurance!

What's "out of your range"?

You have a decent ncb surely..?

My insurance is £850, woulda been £1,000 without my mum on my insurance. Parentals have many...many uses :D My cars only a piddly thing so its great for insurance!

£850? That seems pretty high, I can't remember exactly what you drive but from what I recall it's not something I would have expected to be that high.

Not a fan of the interior but I like the shape of the car. £990 for a Ka is eye-watering though. Almost makes me glad I'm over 25.

The lowest possible insurance was £990 which is much more than I was paying. Probably because it's a 1.6 sport.

This Ka however is about £600 cheaper, not sure if I like that body shape or not though

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201010354091042/

Eep, yeah thats pretty dear.

@Will' - I've got a 1litre yaris which is group 1, I'm 23, no ncb (passed sept last year) and im female.

Northern Ireland has different road laws or something which makes insurance a lot more expensive. Booo.

i put your car reg in confused.com to see the insurance - £3,186. hahah thats amazing.

Edited by Raining_again

Are you paying Insurance by the year? I have to assume so otherwise those are hugely high amounts for any shorter timespan.

Are you paying Insurance by the year? I have to assume so otherwise those are hugely high amounts for any shorter timespan.

Correct......

Ah Raining, I guess the lack of no claims is the biggest hurdle for you, should come down loads, once you start building it up. Being a girl should help you out loads too!

Luckily my insurance is nowhere near £3,000, renewed last week for £900 which isn't too bad considering. If it were £3,000 then I wouldn't be leaving the flat for the next 6 months.

Ah Raining' date=' I guess the lack of no claims is the biggest hurdle for you, should come down loads, once you start building it up. Being a girl should help you out loads too!

Luckily my insurance is nowhere near £3,000, renewed last week for £900 which isn't too bad considering. If it were £3,000 then I wouldn't be leaving the flat for the next 6 months.[/quote']

yeah its £300 odd per month, on top of petrol for that thing, I wouldn't be left with much money! How the bloody hell do you afford that car + flat?! :heh:

I'll be 25 before too long too, so that should help. Yay for aging! ^_^

Sometimes I have no idea, it's all worth it when I'm driving it though.

Almost 5 years NCB makes my VW fairly cheap to insure.

Just went to look at a 3 door, 1.4 litre, petrol '05 fiesta zetec. It was nice... but there was something about it.... I felt so far away from the action, so disconnected; it was so quiet.

Is this something you get with all new-ish cars? That plastic feel like everything is dampened and muffled. Almost like I was remote controlling the car. I think if I bought the fiesta, I'd have to do it up a bit, personalise it to make it feel a bit more mine.

My current car I feel so connected to, as cheesy and cliché as it is, it feels like part of me. I know exactly how hard to put my foot down for any speed, any incline, how hard to brake, how hard to turn the wheel. I'm going to miss that, despite all the problems the Ka's given me :weep:

Just went to look at a 3 door, 1.4 litre, petrol '05 fiesta zetec. It was nice... but there was something about it.... I felt so far away from the action, so disconnected; it was so quiet.

Is this something you get with all new-ish cars? That plastic feel like everything is dampened and muffled. Almost like I was remote controlling the car. I think if I bought the fiesta, I'd have to do it up a bit, personalise it to make it feel a bit more mine.

My current car I feel so connected to, as cheesy and cliché as it is, it feels like part of me. I know exactly how hard to put my foot down for any speed, any incline, how hard to brake, how hard to turn the wheel. I'm going to miss that, despite all the problems the Ka's given me :weep:

It happens with a lot of new cars but not all. It's mainly cars at the lower end of the price range. They have things like light steering, whereas more expensive cars have weighted steering. It's the same thing with fly by wiring.

The C2 I learned in was horrible to drive. It was as you described, where you feel disconnected and not fully in control. You just need to try a few and find one that feels right for you.

Or just buy an old car.

I agree, theres a good bit of difference in the car I learned in (was about a year old) and my own which is 8 years old. It was a bit shocking changing to my own car at first, but I damn love my car now ^_^

Try and look around for an older car with not a lot of mileage maybe?

Old cars > New cars. They just lose money and are pointless unless you can actually afford it.

Well, I thought about it and decided not to bother. Just couldn't do it, there was no part of me that was looking forward to having the car, or excited about it in any way, and I decided that was enough reason not to bother.

Means I'm back to square one though -_-

Old cars > New cars. They just lose money and are pointless unless you can actually afford it.

Agreed! If you can get a used car thats got a few years on it but not too many miles its a great buy. Those typical "one lady owner" ones, they are generally well looked after and serviced too.

I'm so glad my mum was able to sell me her car and had the money to get a new one for herself.

Goafer you nutter that thing looks awful! That said I'd love to see someone driving around in it.

As for old cars vs new cars I agree that in terms of overall costs an old car is generally the better option. Personally I don't think there's anything better than picking up a brand spanking new car and driving away as the first owner knowing that everything is fresh just for you. Can't beat that new car smell.

As I've previously mentioned I've been looking into getting a scooter, I think I've finally settled on a model, the Vespa S:

images%5Cvespa%20s%20white.jpg

What I'm not too sure on is whether I should go for the 50cc or the 125cc. It's going to be used for probably 5 miles a day to work and back, with the occasional trip into central london. Hopefully I'll be doing my CBT tomorrow so I can actually test them for myself, just wondering what people on here thing who have a bit of experience.

What I'm not too sure on is whether I should go for the 50cc or the 125cc.

It all depends on how mean you want the AI to be. There will be more blue shells coming for you at 125.

:grin:

What I'm not too sure on is whether I should go for the 50cc or the 125cc. It's going to be used for probably 5 miles a day to work and back' date=' with the occasional trip into central london. Hopefully I'll be doing my CBT tomorrow so I can actually test them for myself, just wondering what people on here thing who have a bit of experience.[/quote']

What's the top speed you'll be doing? A decent de-restricted 50 will do 60mph. If you want to do a bit more then go for the 125.

This is what I'm just not sure about, as it's for city riding I don't think I'll be going too fast, but it would be nice to have the option there if I need/want it. The 50cc is a 2-stroke whereas the 125 is a 4-stroke, does that make much difference to the performance?