NEurope

Theory Test tomorrow. Been reading the highway code, running through questions in the book and online. I've successfully mastered the two on the DSA site (only found out today you could check the answers, I'm a spoon). Bit nervous of the hazard perception, my observation is shocking, plus I've only slightly practiced online.

You'll be fine, just remeber not to click randomly or you could fail completely. There are heaps of hazards that they're looking for that you probably won't even notice. I remember when I did it, thinking I had done brilliantly and had seen every one - I had missed about 20! Just remember this is the easy one, the hard test is still to come.

What do you guys think? The price is an absolute bargain. Which is slightly worrying. But it's less to lose if things aren't great.

At £500 it looks pretty decent, worst comes to the worst I doubt you'd lose much money on it. Go for it I say.

Depends which scooter.

I like Vespas but the way things are looking at the moment they're going to be a bit out of my price range. Going to end up with something crappy just to commute on I think.

Theory Test tomorrow. Been reading the highway code, running through questions in the book and online. I've successfully mastered the two on the DSA site (only found out today you could check the answers, I'm a spoon). Bit nervous of the hazard perception, my observation is shocking, plus I've only slightly practiced online.

Don't worry too much about the hazard perception, I found it pretty easy. Just click everytime something changes that could in any remote way end up as a hazard. As long as you don't go crazy you should be fine.

At £500 it looks pretty decent' date=' worst comes to the worst I doubt you'd lose much money on it. Go for it I say.[/quote']

That's what I was thinking. I just wish it wasn't brown.

I like Vespas but the way things are looking at the moment they're going to be a bit out of my price range. Going to end up with something crappy just to commute on I think.

Vespas are a style icon. You'll pay a lot more for the fact that it's a Vespa. Piaggio are owned by Vespa but they're much better in terms of value for money. Are you thinking new or second hand?

Also whatever you do don't buy one of the cheap chinese imports. They're very cheap (something ridiculous like £500 new) but they are so slow and won't last long.

If you want to ride like a bike but don't want gears then a Gilera DNA is good.

I wholeheartedly approve of the retro car Moogle. I especially approve of brown. Everyone loves brown.

I made some lovely changes to the GoaferScirocco recently:

Trial run of white letter tyres:

P300110_1226_01.jpg

Grandad my ride:

P300110_1116.jpg

Yeah those tyres look cool, are they a specific set you bought or just what you had before painted? The whole thing looks really good at the moment, I desperately need to clean/wax mine, it's a right state currently.

I normally hate red on cars but yours is a really nice colour.

But what the hell have you done to the seats?

Yeah those tyres look cool' date=' are they a specific set you bought or just what you had before painted? The whole thing looks really good at the moment, I desperately need to clean/wax mine, it's a right state currently.[/quote']

It's just my current tyres with the letters painted. It's a nightmare to find white letter tyres in the right size (all the ones I find are for beach buggies and muscle cars). I just wanted to see how well the paint sticks before getting new tyres fitted to my new set of wheels.

The aim is to get some black wheels (I need to paint my new set) with white letter tyres for the sort of stock car type of look. Hopefully it will look good on a euro car.

But what the hell have you done to the seats?

I got a couple of blankets and put them over the seat for a bit of "Grandad chic". They come straight off.

I also found out the other day that there is only about 1000 MK2 Sciroccos left on the road. Rarity FTW.

Edited by Goafer

It's just my current tyres with the letters painted. It's a nightmare to find white letter tyres in the right size (all the ones I find are for beach buggies and muscle cars). I just wanted to see how well the paint sticks before getting new tyres fitted to my new set of wheels.

The aim is to get some black wheels (I need to paint my new set) with white letter tyres for the sort of stock car type of look. Hopefully it will look good on a euro car.

Looks fantastic imo, it's making me very tempted to do it myself.

What paint did you use and how?

I think my next car (gonna call it something techno-y, like "The Raver") will need similar treatment.

What paint did you use and how?

This is what I used.

How I used it was a longer story. It's not sticking to the tyres too well but that could be for a few reasons. Firstly, the pen was shit. The nib didn't soak up the paint very well and then it fell out. So I just ended up jamming a cotton bud down the newly created hole and using it as a makeshift brush. Secondly, I didn't really wash the tyres first, although they weren't exactly dirty.

Next time I'll wash the tyres within an inch of their life and get some of this. I think I'll also get some Toyo Proxes to paint since I like the lettering.

I'm quite tempted to use more than one colour:

alfa_tyre.JPG

D_Lovro_IMG_001.jpg

MISC_052.jpg

Edited by Goafer

Wont that just come straight off? I used the black tyre paint on mine to give them a new look and it doesn't last long at all.

Got back with my car. I love it. Barely any rust at all. Few little problems. Right indicator doesn't work (front and back, but the left does, and the green light on the dash comes on, might be the bulbs), it needs new headlining, few other interior things that you've got to expect from a 32 year old car. Other than that it just needs a good clean and some TLC. (Also a new stereo, hasn't even got fm. But that will have to wait 'til easter.)

I'll have pics up soon enough.

17564_287542057733_504217733_3552820_2397962_n.jpg

17564_287544487733_504217733_3552886_681895_n.jpg

17564_287544507733_504217733_3552888_2838555_n.jpg

17564_287544552733_504217733_3552889_2714854_n.jpg

17564_287544612733_504217733_3552890_6680056_n.jpg

17564_287544642733_504217733_3552891_2414760_n.jpg

17564_287545767733_504217733_3552892_7860078_n.jpg

17564_287545807733_504217733_3552893_4112256_n.jpg

Excellent stuff, if it's running nicely right now then it looks like you've got yourself a bargain.

I bought a load of cleaning stuff today, I reckon it's finally time to clear off the winter grime. I'm fully expecting it to rain tomorrow, making it all pointless.

I can't stress enough how much I approve of the retro Britishness. Bring it to the next meet, I need to see it.

I can't stress enough how much I approve of the retro Britishness. Bring it to the next meet, I need to see it.

Let's organise a car meet.

Also I may be going to Longbridge pride in April if any other British Leyland owners want to go and meet up.

Hai guys, I need some advice (again).

My car is making some weird squeaky noises. I don't care. I said to myself that if another thing went wrong with it I would buy something new and reliable.

So I'm considering a brand new Corsa SXi 3dr in the scrappage scheme. What do you think? The sport suspension would be awesome for me because the suspension is awful on my Ka and the route to work is bumpy (probably the cause of most of my problems with it).

Tbh I'm not looking for advice that centres around getting an old but sturdy car (such as Goafer or Moogle might suggest). Mainly because I think that involves a few things that don't apply to me, such as a love of cars, a knowledge of good car upkeep and a passion for motoring. I just want something reliable, reasonable MPG and not massively uncool. £7k is over budget tbh but that Corsa is one of the best deals I can find in the scrappage.

The sport suspension would be awesome for me because the suspension is awful on my Ka and the route to work is bumpy (probably the cause of most of my problems with it).

Sport suspension is geared more towards performance (stiffer, lower springs amongst other things) so I doubt it will make the journey any more comfortable.

Other than that, I can't really give any more advice. I'm out of touch with modern cars reliability. I'm sure you could look at the Top Gear customer satisfaction servey results to find out which cars are reliable though.

Oh, and Vauxhall is British. For the sake of the economy, buy one!

£7k is over budget tbh but that Corsa is one of the best deals I can find in the scrappage.

Car prices have gone up a lot since the scrappage scheme. It's ridiculous.

You may be better buying a corsa that's a year or so old and has done very few miles. You'd save a lot of money. But that's hassle so it's up to you.

If you're looking for advice on modern cars then I believe the cheapest cars are the picanto, i10 and alto. But they're all a bit gay.

What's the most important factor? Price, size, style, mpg etc.

EDIT: A VW fox is quite cheap. But their MPG isn't as good as others.

Edited by MoogleViper

You definitely don't want sports suspension if you have a bumpy ride to work. The snow/ice has absolutely wrecked the roads round here, theres one particular place on my route to work that is a 40mph limit and I'm having to slow down to about 5mph to get through - much to the amusement/anger of other road users. Granted mine is way more extreme than a Corsa's would be but you'd still feel a lot more of the bumps than usual.

I quite like the newer shaped Corsa, much nicer than they used to be. I'd probably also check out the lower end Fiat 500's and some of the Toyotas. If you really like Peugeot/Citroen/Renault then check them out too, never know what deals they may do but theres the obvious French carmaker things to consider.

Just had my tax renewal, somehow I have to pay for that and my insurance in the next couple of weeks. Godamnit.