NEurope

my mum has the i10 and its got a piddly small tank compared to my toyota yaris... (other than that its amazing)

but then lets not go down the toyota route...:heh:

Yeah I think the 500 is pretty much my favourite small car at the moment, the one you posted above looks fantastic! White Car/Black Wheels is what all the cool kids go for...

I heard Toyota's are reliable.

Have any of you actually driven a Fiat 500? Yes they look quite good but they are no man's car, the inner proportions make it a very uncomfy drive, unless you're a midget of course.

White Car/Black Wheels is what all the cool kids go for...

Pfft... Brown car/Chrome wheels is where it's at.

I heard Toyota's are reliable.

lol.

My toyota has needed the brakes looked at on every service for like... 4 years (its about 8yo), and this year I had to get em looked at 6 months after this year! The problem isn't really solved either. (my car only had 42k miles on it so its not like its been beaten to death)

I've been seriously thinking of ditching the car recently and going back to the motorbike. As it starts to get warmer i'll probably go for it, it's a lot cheaper in the long run too.

Have any of you actually driven a Fiat 500? Yes they look quite good but they are no man's car, the inner proportions make it a very uncomfy drive, unless you're a midget of course.

I've been a passenger in one and it seemed fine to me, though I suppose your not paying as much attention when not driving. I don't think I'd mind it at all though.

Pfft... Brown car/Chrome wheels is where it's at.

Definitely my next colour combo.

My 206 is pretty awesome, other than the occassional collision with a tree it's been completely reliable.

I've been a passenger in one and it seemed fine to me' date=' though I suppose your not paying as much attention when not driving. I don't think I'd mind it at all though..[/quote']

Suppose it depends on your vital statistics and flexibilty.

Listen to the stats and avoid a French car. Fat yourself a German car (Fabias are supposed to be pretty sound) or a Japanese car like a Suzuki swift or a Micra (supporting the factory in Sunderland!).

lol.

My toyota has needed the brakes looked at on every service for like... 4 years (its about 8yo), and this year I had to get em looked at 6 months after this year! The problem isn't really solved either. (my car only had 42k miles on it so its not like its been beaten to death)

My Toyota was pretty reliable. I always saw them as the Japanese Volkswagen. And the Toyota pickup on Top Gear was pretty unkillable.

Honda are pretty solid too. They came first and second (Civic and Jazz) in the reliability survey 09.

"Overall, Japanese automakers continued to cement their reputation as leaders in the reliability stakes, with Daihatsu and Toyota also making the top ten list alongside Honda. Meanwhile, Hyundai also represented the South Korean auto industry with its i30, which came in fourth place with a reliability score of 96.8 per cent."

Do you think the squeaking in my car could just be the fan belt? It's loud, up front, high pitched and "speeds up" when the car speeds up. It also happens more often up hill.

Thanks for the suggestions btw everyone. That SXi went up £500 so probably forgetting that. Plus, I might be looking into buying a house so it seems likely that I can't afford to blow my savings on a new car. I really have no idea what I should buy! I know I want 3 things: reliability, reasonbly cheap to maintain, not uncool :heh: That Fiat 500 is nice though....

Do you think the squeaking in my car could just be the fan belt? It's loud, up front, high pitched and "speeds up" when the car speeds up. It also happens more often up hill.

Thanks for the suggestions btw everyone. That SXi went up £500 so probably forgetting that. Plus, I might be looking into buying a house so it seems likely that I can't afford to blow my savings on a new car. I really have no idea what I should buy! I know I want 3 things: reliability, reasonbly cheap to maintain, not uncool :heh: That Fiat 500 is nice though....

I know fuck all about cars, but that's what my fan belt sounded like when it wasn't aligned properly, so it's probably nothing major.

Most squeaking is a belt of some sort. Seems odd that it happens more going up hill though.

Does it get "faster" as the engine revs get higher or as the car goes faster?

Cleaned the car for the first time in 2010 this morning:

4352841959_7b4934f790.jpg

4353592084_af7aa1758c.jpg

Photos taken just as it started to rain... :mad:

Polish and windows will have to wait for another day now, at least it's white again though.

Does it get "faster" as the engine revs get higher or as the car goes faster?

Revs. You think I can fix the fan belt myself?

Cleaned the car for the first time in 2010 this morning
Did mine today too :D Hadn't done it for about 6 months :blush: not much point in posting a picture of it after you've posted yours.... ¬____¬

Fan belts can be tricky, but you should be able to do it yourself. There should be a diagram of exactly how the belt is on.

In my experience you'll also need a wrench for the belt tensioner to pull it into place where the belt is slack. Be careful because this can smack you pretty good it you slip.

Make sure you get the right belt as well.

Did mine today too :D Hadn't done it for about 6 months :blush: not much point in posting a picture of it after you've posted yours.... ¬____¬

The more pics the better!

It seems to be dry-ish at the moment, might give the polishing a go after the rugby if it holds out.

Start the car an lift the bonnet. You should be able to pinpoint the noise better that way. It'll be easier if you rev it from the engine as well.

The problem is it doesn't happen all the time. If I go out, it will be quiet as ever for the first 10 minutes of the drive, then start sqeaking. That's what's making the problem really hard to pinpoint.

A few cheap changes to the Sciroccos interior:

Knob *snigger*:

P2131622.jpg

Winders:

P2131628.jpg

The problem is it doesn't happen all the time. If I go out, it will be quiet as ever for the first 10 minutes of the drive, then start sqeaking. That's what's making the problem really hard to pinpoint.

For the sake of saving hassle, you could just take it to a mechanics and get them to do it. A squeak wont be expensive to sort out and it would save you having to rummage around for ages trying to figure it out.

I'd be willing to bet that it is a belt though. There's quite a few guides on how to adjust/replace them about if you wanted to try and sort it yourself.

I Love what keep fit window winders look like, but i must admit i prefer to press a button and continue driving.

I Love what keep fit window winders look like, but i must admit i prefer to press a button and continue driving.

Some people just can't handle driving a car. I bet you have power steering as well don't you?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~

my window has fallen off its tracking again even after they fixed it!!

car2.jpg

car1.jpg

which now means a probably very expensive window replacement, along with my car tax, and getting the OTHER problem (similar to shorty's car) looked at! =(