NEurope

I don't think I've ever spent over £200 on an MOT. Or any repairs come to think of it.

My MOTs are nearly always around £200-£400. That's the beauty of not maintaining your car in any way.

My last repair job was about £340 v_v pretty bad when you consider I'd be lucky to get £800 selling the car privately.

I still need a new car, I was thinking about an Astra.... Ugh I fail at purchase procrastination.

My MOTs are nearly always around £200-£400. That's the beauty of not maintaining your car in any way.

But really what can you do other than topping up the relevant liquids it needs? I don't have a foggies about cars, touching any more than the above would probably result in me trashing it somehow :P

You'd be surprised how many people neglect even the "relevant liquids", especially oil and coolant. You also gotta clean and protect your car to prevent corrosion and rust, which can also lead you to fail your MOT.

How? Are you paying a F1 pit crew to do it?

Yes....why, don't you? :cry:

Anyway it was £307 in the end, so thats good. *Eeep*

Some folks at work said I might aswell get a new car....but the way I see it, is how do I know that won't need XXX£ work next year/whenever?

It really does help to have a mechanic in the family.

My sisters a beauty therapist. :(

Yes....why, don't you? :cry:

Anyway it was £307 in the end, so thats good. *Eeep*

Some folks at work said I might aswell get a new car....but the way I see it, is how do I know that won't need XXX£ work next year/whenever?

My sisters a beauty therapist. :(

My last MOT and service combined was £48 :heh:

My last MOT and service combined was £48 :heh:

How old/much was your car?

And more importantly....does it have go-fast-stripes?

How old/much was your car?

And more importantly....does it have go-fast-stripes?

It's an 04 VW Golf, cost me £5000 about a year ago. It doesn't half any stripes :(

You'd be surprised how many people neglect even the "relevant liquids", especially oil and coolant. You also gotta clean and protect your car to prevent corrosion and rust, which can also lead you to fail your MOT.

This. Especially the sub frame and wheel arches. Most people forget these.

But really what can you do other than topping up the relevant liquids it needs?

Mechanically sympathetic driving helps no end. Not over revving (especially when cold), smooth gear changes, no hard cornering/acceleration etc.

Mechanically sympathetic driving helps no end. Not over revving (especially when cold), smooth gear changes, no hard cornering/acceleration etc.

That's my phrase for tomorrow.

Basically anything that's fun :heh:

Basically anything that's fun :heh:

Well, you obviously need to find a fun/"granny" ratio that works for you. I like to lean towards the granny side, but with the occasional burst of fun. Like those old people who know how to use the internet. Most of the time is spent knitting, but occasionally they'll hit the web and search for something truly disgusting.

I guess I compromise with my impeccable gear changes but extravagant acceleration.

Well, you obviously need to find a fun/"granny" ratio that works for you.

Good advice in general actually.

I guess I compromise with my impeccable gear changes but extravagant acceleration.

Is that what you call it? :p

Automatics are much more common in America though. They are no fun. At all.

What automatics or americans?

I stall if I don't accelerate extravagantly :P

I really regret learning in a diesel.:(

Haha, I presume I'm the same because I'm too scared not to rev up loads either whenever I start moving.

Haha, I presume I'm the same because I'm too scared not to rev up loads either whenever I start moving.

yeah, its awful. Although im getting better, I don't have to use the handbrake EVERY time I stop, woohoo!:bouncy:

Getting out of the junction at work is a nightmare, its a 50mph dual carriageway, at rush hour. I did myself proud and vroomed it to death to get out today! wooooooo! It's only a 1litre engine so you kinda do have to vroom it up or it goes nowhere =(

And today I had to use the fog light on my car for the first time today :grin:

I'll throw this out a bit, its been a big discussion in my house lately; how long a tank of petrol lasts! I can get 5/6 weeks out of my car. My mum got hers and she says the tank is tinyyy (hyundai i10) and she's always having to fill it!