NEurope
Dyson

Unemployment, travelling and smoking thread. Apparently.

And a clean one at that.

I think its really a given for any job that requires travel and provides a vehicle tbh.

Need to have a clean driving licence to work any higher than a band 3 in the NHS.

Congrats Haden and Katie :D

As far as my job hunting goes...pah. Did get offered to join some dodgy example assignment website thing but won't bother. Think when I go to London next weekend I'm just going to hand out loads of CVs. I did offer myself to become an underwear model photographer...we'll see if they say okay :p

I am having an awful time at work. I feel ungrateful complaining seeing as many are still looking for work here. But its really bugging me, so much bitching and backstabbing, i keep hearing about people saying stuff about me behind my back and raising unjustified complaints, its going on week after week.

For a group of therapists working together, it's very dysfunctional.

I am having an awful time at work. I feel ungrateful complaining seeing as many are still looking for work here. But its really bugging me, so much bitching and backstabbing, i keep hearing about people saying stuff about me behind my back and raising unjustified complaints, its going on week after week.

For a group of therapists working together, it's very dysfunctional.

Yeah I feel the same at the mo. Lots of problems at my work and sometimes I think I might actually be less stressed on the dole :(

I'm somewhat anti-social, and spending 8 hours in a room with a LOT of people really gets me stressed out. I think i'd be way more suited to a job on my own.

And now someone's put in a formal complaint that we dont talk to him enough. Jesus. Now we're all in for shit. Maybe I won't have a choice about being on the dole soon.:sad:

After two years with no work, I have finally got a job working for a company called bigpicture, they work for Advent computer company and my job will be working for PC World promoting there products, selling them to customers and 'educating' the staff! starting next weeek :D

I may be looking for a new job soon... o_O

I found out today that the college course I'm starting in September, whilst only being one evening a week, will require at least 10 hours homes study each week. The fact that I don't have a background working with computers it will probably be even more for me! I very much doubt that where I work now will allow me to just cut my hours, they've only just got the staff/hours situation sorted the way they wanted it so I'll probably have to give them my notice and try and find another job.

I'll probably work through August (when there's fuck all to do so easy money ^_^) and then start writing to a load of IT companies to see if they have any work placements going, or just get some crappy PT job somewhere...

I may be looking for a new job soon... o_O

I found out today that the college course I'm starting in September, whilst only being one evening a week, will require at least 10 hours homes study each week. The fact that I don't have a background working with computers it will probably be even more for me! I very much doubt that where I work now will allow me to just cut my hours, they've only just got the staff/hours situation sorted the way they wanted it so I'll probably have to give them my notice and try and find another job.

I'll probably work through August (when there's fuck all to do so easy money ^_^) and then start writing to a load of IT companies to see if they have any work placements going, or just get some crappy PT job somewhere...

Don't cut your losses so quickly. Go to the course and see how it pans out. Surely if you need it you can take holiday time?

I did a HNC in computing (half degree - had about the same amount of study hours) as night course and it was manageable, yes hard work, but it was definitely achievable.

And now someone's put in a formal complaint that we dont talk to him enough. Jesus. Now we're all in for shit. Maybe I won't have a choice about being on the dole soon.:sad:

I think you're probably worrying to much about the complaint situation, one guy isn't going to get a whole team fired is he? Surely the most you'd get is a warning if even that is justifiable.

Did you apply for that other job you mentioned?

I may be looking for a new job soon... o_O ...

How many hours are you working now? I'm thinking about starting another Open Uni course next year which says 16 hours study a week, I'm hoping it's exaggerating as I don't plan on leaving my full time job.

Don't cut your losses so quickly. Go to the course and see how it pans out. Surely if you need it you can take holiday time?

I did a HNC in computing (half degree - had about the same amount of study hours) as night course and it was manageable, yes hard work, but it was definitely achievable.

The thing is though raining I currently (well not currently cause I'm on my summer hours but will be...) work lates on Wednesday which is when my course takes place. Therefore if I'm gonna stay at my current job hours are going to have to be changed and I'm not even sure they'll be happy with that!

Also, I hate working there........

i work 8 hours today. i will not be paid a penny. my back hurts from bending slightly to wash glasses. my hands are dry from the chemicals. my feet hurt from being on my feel all day. ive gone beyond hungry to not caring. hopefully i'll die so wont have to go in on saterday.

Signed on again earlier today. They mentioned that for the next six weeks I'll have to sign on weekly. I told them that I wouldn't be able to make next Friday so they pushed it back to the week after next. :smile:

I'm pretty sure I'll get paid next week. So I'll have some spending money! :grin:

As long as you work for a registered charity, no.

Wrong. Completely wrong. And i hope no one has followed your advice.

You can work - paid or unpaid - up to 16 hours per week; any paid work will obviously affect your Jobseekers Allowance.

In regards to Voluntary work, even though you'll be working unpaid, working more than 16 hours per week may be seen as being 'not available for work' ( this is a condition of your Jobseekers Allowance- read that slip we ask you to sign).

You must declare all work - paid or unpaid - at your fortnightly signing. If in doubt - ask.

Edited by david.dakota

Oddly, my boss is having lots of trouble getting someone to work in the warehouse. Nobody seems to turn up for interviews.

Edit: So if anyone near Stockport wants to work 20 hours a week moving things in a small warehouse and making deliveries (do full driving license is needed), I may be able to help.

Edited by Cube

Wrong. Completely wrong. And i hope no one has followed your advice.

You can work - paid or unpaid - up to 16 hours per week; any paid work will obviously affect your Jobseekers Allowance.

In regards to Voluntary work, even though you'll be working unpaid, working more than 16 hours per week will be seen as being 'not available for work' ( this is a condition of your Jobseekers Allowance- read that slip we ask you to sign).

You must declare all work - paid or unpaid - at your fortnightly signing. If in doubt - ask.

You can only do unpaid for charities, iirc. It's to stop business' employing 'state funded' workers.

Honestly, if someone offers you work experience more than 16 hours a week, take it and lie about it to your adviser.

You can only do unpaid for charities, iirc. It's to stop business' employing 'state funded' workers.

Honestly, if someone offers you work experience more than 16 hours a week, take it and lie about it to your adviser.

I'd never condone lying in this situations, its never fun being caught out!

I've still been looking, I applied for 6 jobs and I've recieved nothing, so much for working in meadowhall! I think its now gotten to the point where I'm nearly forcing C.V's on people, haha.

HMV job fell through. Zetta angry.

Aww, poo sticks. Unlucky dude, keep trying, though.

Today has been a bit of a rubbish day. Got a rejection letter from a school, even though I thought my application was kick arse. Then, I've also been feeling pretty bluddy ill, too. :(

I'd never condone lying in this situations, its never fun being caught out!

I've still been looking, I applied for 6 jobs and I've recieved nothing, so much for working in meadowhall! I think its now gotten to the point where I'm nearly forcing C.V's on people, haha.

Yeah but it's literally impossible for them to catch you out, and it's a stupid rule.

Yeah but it's literally impossible for them to catch you out, and it's a stupid rule.

I suppose, but doing un-paid work does mean you haven't got as much time to be out there looking for jobs, so I see where it comes from.

Going back to sheffield monday, going to scout around town again see if I can find anything, might even travel as far as nottingham and leeds see if I can catch anything there.

Even though I've never been either place, but I don't mind travelling with said car.

Just a few thoughts on graduate unemployment.

Quite a few years ago, I worked for a training and business development consultancy. The business was subcontracted to run a variety of business courses and operate Youth Training and Modern Apprenticeships - employers (at that time) really valued these qualifications, and i believe they still do. One of our projects - after much research on our part - we launched a project called Gradlink which was to provide a cross between an MA and a Graduate Recruitment Agency - we would help in the recruitment stages and offer further training and support to ensure graduates fit seemlessly into the business (in fact the plan was to put graduates through the NVQ Core Skills, a part of MA valued by employers). This, at the time, was a new initiative (we'd never heard of it before, despite good research) and there was definately nothing like it in our rural area. During the research stages, it was clear that businesses could and would value having a graduate on board, but there seemed a disconnect between employers and graduates - employers trust and value being able to tap into experience; in our rural setting there was no voice for business to access graduates on a national level (and only the University of Wolverhampton had any kind of presence in the County - a campus in Telford).

Despite our research - and the prospect of attempting to overcome the 'experience' hurdle, countless businesses dropped off the list, those who showed interest just couldn't get past the lack of 'experience'. As one of three people handling the project (i handled marketing of the project) i dealt pretty much daily with it; and we were literally inundated with graduates - a database of hundreds formed, very, very quickly.. Our employers simply let us down; if i recall correctly, we were able to recruit a handful of graduates into some of our core employers; but untimately Shropshire businesses couldn't/wouldn't support the project as they indicated in research stages.

Quite disheartening for us, the project was simply wound up after 18months or so. To me this still seems to me like an great solution to graduate recruitment.

A few things which may - or may not - help in your searches for work.

• Think about barriers employers may consider. And pre-empt these barriers with good counter-arguments.

• Have you got work references. Someone has mentioned voluntary work (remember your JSA agreement though) - and i've seen people get some really great voluntary work through our local bureaux (some even offering NVQs too) - look below?

• Is there extra support at the JCP. Unfortunately, JCP offer little support to Joe Bloggs walking in off the street, but should you fall certain categories; lone parent, long term illness, and a few more, there is extra support there. Ask.

People have mentioned volunteering. As i've said it can affect JSA so be careful and check with your JSP advisor. Looking at Shrewsburys volunteer bureaux, theres are some great volunteer opportunities in and around Shrewsbury at the moment - Volunteer Tutor, Secretary to Management Committee, full list for those within the County. National Site here.

Good luck guys

Edited by david.dakota

This equal oppertunities thing is a load of bull.

If they truly wanted equal oppertunities they wouldnt ask for age, gender, ethnicity.

Its wrong that they want x% woman, x%black, x% transvestite bikers with afros...

Its wrong, and it holds some more qualified people back.

EDIT: Just found out that school leavers get priority over certain jobs, thats not fair..

If im looking for a job for months, and someone gets it because they just left school thats not right.

Edited by Kirkatronics

This equal oppertunities thing is a load of bull.

If they truly wanted equal oppertunities they wouldnt ask for age, gender, ethnicity.

Its wrong that they want x% woman, x%black, x% transvestite bikers with afros...

Its wrong, and it holds some more qualified people back.

EDIT: Just found out that school leavers get priority over certain jobs, thats not fair..

If im looking for a job for months, and someone gets it because they just left school thats not right.

its like chris rock says. "if a black man gets a job over a white man just because hes black, thats racist" or roughly that any way.

can see that companies want to employ a reprisentative number of employies from the comunity, but but making people state thier ethnicity, whats it going to help? i understand giving age and dissability information, that could actualy be important in the job, but your race?

its like chris rock says. "if a black man gets a job over a white man just because hes black, thats racist" or roughly that any way.

can see that companies want to employ a reprisentative number of employies from the comunity, but but making people state thier ethnicity, whats it going to help? i understand giving age and dissability information, that could actualy be important in the job, but your race?

The dissabillity thing is ok if the job cant be done by someone disabled, otherwise they shouldt ask.

I dont get what you mean with the Chris Rock quote, its racist if anyone gets a job because of their skin colour.

They get you to state your ethnicity for "equal opperunities" tracking, or something stupid like that.

I dont get what you mean with the Chris Rock quote, its racist if anyone gets a job because of their skin colour.

well, its pretty much saying that blacks and whites are being treated differently, thus there isnt equality. you could also interprate it as the white guy is missing out because of the colour of his skin, thus he's now the victim beacus of his skin colour.