NEurope
Dyson

Unemployment, travelling and smoking thread. Apparently.

But surely you can get jobs through a temping agency or in a pub or something. Anything is better than nothing right?

i know you mean well, and im not directing this at you, but nothing winds me up more then people giving me really ovious advice on job seeking.

people say "well, work as a waiter, restraunts are always hiring" i then explain that i have tried that, but many places are reluctant to hire a trained psychologist to do a job such as waiting or customer service. they belive i'll be there a couple of weeks while i wait for somthing better.

its very difficult to find the motivation to keep going at times.

This^

Also, most other people have already gone and got the jobs available.

Many others will also be looking.

It is annoying when people try to give you advice, especially if its wrong, or really obvious.

Actually this thread wasn't changed. It's been spelt that way since I made it - you're probably thinking of stuwii's impatience thread :heh:

Hehe my bad, and yes now you mention it that was indeed the one.

the solution is to sell everything and go to asia. You can have a great life** of your savings, then your credit card and then go home to face the music in 2010. Why swim upstream ?

Spurring on this I've been gumtreeing it up and I keep finding fun looking internships in London but I don't live there and I don't think anyone will be willing to let me sleep at theirs for several weeks-months. Why is there nothing outside of London?

I still don't know what I want to be. It changes frequently. And I hear graduates change jobs like 10 times or something silly but whatever. I dunno, maybe I should just get a job to get myself settled but then I'm worried about becoming trapped there.

Edited by Ashley

It's always difficult finding work without experience, but I think it's much harder now people want really specific experience rather than just transferable skills. Once you do have both the experience and the qualifications you'll be much better off though, it's just finding that first place to take you on that's tricky. Keep on trucking.

On a different note, how useless are recruitment sites? Monster just e-mailed to say they'd found a match for my CV, it's 50 miles away, a manager position (not me) and about £15k more than I'll be expecting to earn. Thanks for that.

Edited by Katie

But if you were an employer would you rather employ someone who has been in admin since they left school at 16 and know what they are doing from day one. Or someone who went to uni and did what i guess was litrature? and would have to learn what they were doing. Even if they were capable?

T'is a good point and I definitely think that would be the case here. Depends on the degree too. Saying that, university students do tend to be quick learner and it's not to say that they won't have some admin experience through part-time jobs on the way towards their degree. Needless to say, I can comfortably say I'd shit all over my straight-to-work equivalent. Arrogant? Yes. Suggesting Uni is better than going straight to work? Most certainly not. I think it comes down to the person and as you rightly point out, experience.

As long as you work for a registered charity, no.

Ok, thanks.

was confused because i was given the maximum hours i was allowed to work, ad not a ammount which i thinks silly.

I think what Dazzy was saying about using agencies and just taking on "any" work is probably the best thing to do. I firmly believe that (after a long time of unemployment), taking on any work is better than nothing as longterm unemployment creates depression and doesn't look good on your CV.

Sure, you may hold a qualification above and beyond a waiter/till/factory job but a job is a job and when you are working you're putting money in the bank and this "work" experience is v.important to employers. This is usually what employers want to see - a work ethic, no matter what the job is.

Some tips I offer as a careers advisor:

You should have a few CV's - each tailored to a specific job role. If you're going for a job in ASDA for trolley pushing to make ends meet, you won't really need to big up your degree. Instead you would focus on the "working with people/meeting deadlines/commitment to development" scenarios.

(This is a common mistake people make.) Know what skills are required and concentrate on meeting the criteria.

Rather than just sending CV's off and getting nothing back, go into stores/offices and ask to see the manager. Explain you have heard about/like their company and that you are looking for employment and would like to know if they have any current/upcoming vacancies. They may not - but if you leave them your details they will usually remember you and keep your details on record. It's dog eat dog. Seperating yourself from the crowd is 90% of getting a job (arguably that's all interviews are for).

It can be awful. I've experienced plenty of unemployment and dole ques. Makes you feel worthless. But stick at it and you'll find something. Catch 22 is a bitch but you have to sell yourself - especially in the current climate.

Good luck. And remember:

Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people.

Im unemployed this week (vacation) and i love it!!!

Its not unemployed, its a holiday.

BIG DIFFERENCE!

I think what Dazzy was saying about using agencies and just taking on "any" work is probably the best thing to do. I firmly believe that (after a long time of unemployment), taking on any work is better than nothing as longterm unemployment creates depression and doesn't look good on your CV.

Sure, you may hold a qualification above and beyond a waiter/till/factory job but a job is a job and when you are working you're putting money in the bank and this "work" experience is v.important to employers. This is usually what employers want to see - a work ethic, no matter what the job is.

Some tips I offer as a careers advisor:

You should have a few CV's - each tailored to a specific job role. If you're going for a job in ASDA for trolley pushing to make ends meet, you won't really need to big up your degree. Instead you would focus on the "working with people/meeting deadlines/commitment to development" scenarios.

(This is a common mistake people make.) Know what skills are required and concentrate on meeting the criteria.

Rather than just sending CV's off and getting nothing back, go into stores/offices and ask to see the manager. Explain you have heard about/like their company and that you are looking for employment and would like to know if they have any current/upcoming vacancies. They may not - but if you leave them your details they will usually remember you and keep your details on record. It's dog eat dog. Seperating yourself from the crowd is 90% of getting a job (arguably that's all interviews are for).

It can be awful. I've experienced plenty of unemployment and dole ques. Makes you feel worthless. But stick at it and you'll find something. Catch 22 is a bitch but you have to sell yourself - especially in the current climate.

Good luck. And remember:

Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people.

I think your missing our point, its not that we dont want the bad work. Its the fact we cant get any work at all, good-bad or ugly.

I think your missing our point, its not that we dont want the bad work. Its the fact we cant get any work at all, good-bad or ugly.

In my experience there is always work around you 'somewhere'. You just need to do different things if your not finding 'any' work.

Look further afield, look at doing different work/retrain, heed my advice of walking into establishments, don't rely on your CV too much, use an agency. (They can be good - they just get a lot of bad press.)

As bad as facts make the current economic climate appear, there are always jobs somewhere. Eventually something will come up. You just need to dig deeper to 'find' a job. Good luck.

In my experience there is always work around you 'somewhere'. You just need to do different things if your not finding 'any' work.

Look further afield, look at doing different work/retrain, heed my advice of walking into establishments, don't rely on your CV too much, use an agency. (They can be good - they just get a lot of bad press.)

As bad as facts make the current economic climate appear, there are always jobs somewhere. Eventually something will come up. You just need to dig deeper to 'find' a job. Good luck.

No matter what method you choose, people are picking older more experienced people. The first thing they look for is previous experience, even through agencies.

Also, i have heard good things through agencies other than the redundancy pay rights.

Sick sick sick of unemployment. Absolutely had it up to here with it. There's nothing around at all; and I have no doubt that all the school/college/uni leavers have it the same right now. All the skilled workers are being put out of a job and are taking the jobs that people like me would be taking at this kind of time.

What is there to do? I've signed on, I'm searching for jobs every week, and nothing is suitable. Either everyone wants you to have 2 years experience working in the field or a full driving license and your own car. Which wouldn't be so hard to achieve if I had a job in the first place!

So yeah, grumble grumble. Right now I just feel like I'm alone, but I know I'm not. Anyone else feeling the strain right now?

If its the having nothing to do thing, you could work for free, ie volunteer.

1)gives you something to do

2)gets you experience

Offer your services to a company for free for a year, work hard, impress them, pick up tips and learn as much as you can about the business. at the end of the year you will know a lot, and so long as you work hard they'd be fools to let you go.

Shows that you are active in finding employment, so you'll go that extra mile, you actually want to work rather than just get money etc etc.

failing that, I learnt a language, which is nice, so maybe you could do that, or learn to paint or play an instrument etc etc. obv. harder if you have no money, but the net is a good start for a lot of things

Edited by Pestneb

If its the having nothing to do thing, you could work for free, ie volunteer.

1)gives you something to do

2)gets you experience

Offer your services to a company for free for a year, work hard, impress them, pick up tips and learn as much as you can about the business. at the end of the year you will know a lot, and so long as you work hard they'd be fools to let you go.

Shows that you are active in finding employment, so you'll go that extra mile, you actually want to work rather than just get money etc etc.

failing that, I learnt a language, which is nice, so maybe you could do that, or learn to paint or play an instrument etc etc. obv. harder if you have no money, but the net is a good start for a lot of things

Id like to learn a programming language, but i cant find Delphi anywhere. Not the one i like anyway.

No matter what method you choose, people are picking older more experienced people. The first thing they look for is previous experience, even through agencies.

Also, i have heard good things through agencies other than the redundancy pay rights.

If they are always looking for experience then you need to either volunteer to get that experience somewhere or ask them what they would recommend to you about how to get experience. Your a quick, willing learner who feels you can do the required job and your youth would be an asset to a company as you would like to be there for the longterm. That's what I would say to companies which were always saying exp. is pivotal.

If you go to an agency you should have a representative who can help you seek the experience that is needed. That could be through many different means though.

Obviously, I don't know your circumstances so it is difficult to give personalised advice but an agency could be your best bet. Always take up personalised advice. Just keep at it, something always comes up.

Very good advice but a pain in practice. Basically every job I want I'm going to have to rewrite my CV in some way or another. But that I will. Bookmarked some jobs earlier and will look for more later but tomorrow will be a career day, futures made and fortunes lost.

Although job hunting has been depressing because I feel I have no special skills. Obviously degree and what not but I don't know a foreign language, don't have particularly great HTML/PHP skills etc etc. So I've started learning Italian and may continue with Japanese. Gotta try eh?

Totally applied for a job as a receptionist/office assistant on the NHS last night that to Rummy. Got me fingers crossed.

Totally applied for a job as a receptionist/office assistant on the NHS last night that to Rummy. Got me fingers crossed.

Where is it based?

For clerical you get a pretty decent wage in the NHS. The interviews aren't easy though. Be prepared to talk about data protection act! :P When you get an interview i'm sure I could prep you!

I have done two NHS interviews (and passed) after all :heh:

I've seen an NHS one I might apply for, but I'm a bit put off by distance and part time hours. Might have to pick your brain as well if I do get an interview with them Raining, I've heard it's hard to get in!

I have to say that this is somewhat true. You can tell by the fact that people are even posting on these forums often during the day or regularly gaming that they aren't making getting a job their actual job. If people spent 9-5, 5 days a week actively seeking a job they would almost undoubtedly have one; part time or full.

Not to sound harsh to some of you, but there's always work somewhere, and people are getting those jobs. Just the people putting more effort into getting the job are getting the jobs. :p

Supermarkets are usually always taking people on even if just for overtime on checkouts.