NEurope
Dyson

Unemployment, travelling and smoking thread. Apparently.

I was unemployed for about 5 months from October to the end of February. In that time I only got one interview, and about 3 rejection letters. The fact that the majority of people couldn't even be bothered to send some standard rejection letter was what really bummed me out, how fucking lazy can you be!

I was trying to get admin work but every was telling me the same thing "you need experience", well how am I meant to get experience if no one will give me a job?!

Thankfully after my one interview I was offered a job, not the one I applied for mind, but a job all the same. So I know work in the restaurant at a local college. It sucks but there's lots of hot girls around so it has its perks :heh:

I was unemployed for about 5 months from October to the end of February. In that time I only got one interview, and about 3 rejection letters. The fact that the majority of people couldn't even be bothered to send some standard rejection letter was what really bummed me out, how fucking lazy can you be!

I was trying to get admin work but every was telling me the same thing "you need experience", well how am I meant to get experience if no one will give me a job?!

Thankfully after my one interview I was offered a job, not the one I applied for mind, but a job all the same. So I know work in the restaurant at a local college. It sucks but there's lots of hot girls around so it has its perks :heh:

That does annoy me, even if it was a automated sorry message it would be fine.

Its the not knowing.

Yeah tell me about it man. total bullshit.

I'm a fucking university graduate. I can dissect the life's work of some of the great novelists in history like a scalpel and they tell me I 'need experience' to do filing!? fuck off!

Its a real shitty thing trying to find a job. The only reason I got the job I am in now is because my mum worked in that office, and I applied through the temping agency. This was like 4 years ago, when companies were desperate for staff. Then I applied for an advertised job. Its still temp but they are considering changing it to permanent! yay!

I'm sorry to say this, but I'm kinda glad that I didn't go to uni.

I'd be leaving at about this (or maybe last) year, and I'd probably be totally stuffed.

*hugs for all jobseekers* Keep at it guys! /o/

Probably shouldn't gloat about quitting my old job going round the world for 8 months then getting the first job I applied for when I got back.

I was unemployed for 6 months when I finished uni though and it was without a doubt the worst 6 months of my life, so er chin up guys and stuff.

I think employers discriminate against graduates, particularly for low skilled jobs. Generally thinking you're not committed to the job. Its your job to convince them from the start, ensure your CV and Covering Letter are tailored to each job you apply for and talk about where your want to take your experience (though it will be a lie). The key is persistence and confidence.

Nobody wants to employ an un-socialble person. I find chatting to the most talkative of friends before my interview it helps get me into that talkative mindset.

Thank god someone changed the thread title to "thereof", I was about to have a grammar rant to myself. I was unemployed (part-time mind you) for a good 8 months until March this year, and it was hell on earth. I can't even begin to imagine how shite it must be for you full time guys, wish you all the best!

I'm probably about to re-join the unemployment world, once my work has finished with its 44 redundancies of which i am in the high risk category. I placed my appeal to HR today in a sealed envelope, so have to see how that goes.

I hated it last time i was out of work, 8 months to be honest and i don't really wish to return to the world of dole junkies (sorry, only way to describe them)

Bad luck about the redundancy, the company I'd been working for made about 60 of us redundant a few months ago, including my whole department. Plus they let me go one day before I completed 4 years employment therefore cutting my redundancy pay, which was a slap in the face.

I'm getting a bit sick of looking for a job too, I think I'm hoping something great will turn up and I'll find something I really want/will be good at. I'm doing Open University courses in the meantime, keeps me a bit busier and always something good to put on my CV/talk about in interviews.

I applied for a job at my old company this week but I haven't heard back yet which is a bit worrying, I at least expect an interview with them.

Thank god someone changed the thread title to "thereof", I was about to have a grammar rant to myself. I was unemployed (part-time mind you) for a good 8 months until March this year, and it was hell on earth. I can't even begin to imagine how shite it must be for you full time guys, wish you all the best!

Actually this thread wasn't changed. It's been spelt that way since I made it - you're probably thinking of stuwii's impatience thread :heh:

I think employers discriminate against graduates, particularly for low skilled jobs. Generally thinking you're not committed to the job.

That's actually very true.

After I dropped out of Uni i was unemployed for about 6 months (never signed on though, wish i had now) before I landed my current job. It was only meant to be a stop-gap but two and a half years later i'm still there. There's nothing about! I want to start my own catering company, working at festivals, motor racing etc. but to do that i need a business loan from the bank. To get the loan i need more qualifications (understandable, i wouldn't want to do it without being qualified anyhow) and to start the college/uni course i need relevant work experience. I've spent the past 18 months trying to get the sort of job i need, now i'm getting a bit fed-up.

OK, i'm not unemployed. It is bloody frustrating though! There's no way i'll have the experience to get in to my course this year meaning even if i got the right job tomorrow i'd be looking at a Sept 2010 start. It'll be at least summer 2011 before i'm up and running :(

If i'm still in the same place in another year's time i might sod off to another country and see what things are like there. No idea where but I really don't want to stay in my current job (done a good job of pissing the management off, ruining ANY promotional prospects).

I'm in the same place as most of you. I hate being unemployed, I'm so bored and it's so depressing. The fact that I went to college for two years and got A Levels in IT makes me feel like I've wasted my time to be honest. I've tried for every job going and NO-ONE has replied back to me. As Dyson said, they want experience now and not qualifications and it royally pisses me off because how the hell am I supposed to have experience when I can't get a job in the first place?

It just makes me depressed because I'm normally bored all day. Thank goodness I have my new and improved 360, my Wii, the Saw story games and Phoenix Wright to keep me occupied through the day :)

But surely you can get jobs through a temping agency or in a pub or something. Anything is better than nothing right?

Im in the same situation as a few others here, I am in a job, but it was time to move on a year ago.. I was searching just as all of this started to happen.

There is less and less to do at work and I am at the mercy of my employers, who seem to get meaner and meaner each day of this recession. I feel like a slave at times (like being expected to do 2 people's jobs on Thursdays and Fridays, with them simply shrugging off my complaints) and often think that redundancy would be better than working at my current place. I don't know how much time I have left there, but need to stick with it and see if I can ride out the current situation and then kick start a better life. At least I am getting paid, even though its not enough. I haven't got a bonus once or ever been appreciated at my current employer.

Each day seems to start on a high and then end on a low. I am learning extra skills and developing myself in my evenings and then I have to experience groundhog day for the nth time the next morning..shheesh.. I have almost given up on treating tomorrow as a new day. I am like a pot plant that has outgrown its pot. I've been getting a bit depressed lately and feel as if I'm not doing enough, but I am managing more than I have ever done before with my life, even though my job isnt helping.

I'm a fucking university graduate. I can dissect the life's work of some of the great novelists in history like a scalpel and they tell me I 'need experience' to do filing!? fuck off!

haha how is that even relevent. Thats like me saying i used to work on multi million pound weapon systems and they tell me i 'need experience' to maintain air con.

Get over yourself.

I think what Dan is saying is he has experience in working on several channels of though, collating and interpretting data and working to deadlines through his university work and something like filing is not something that's going to cause him a great deal of mental strain regardless of a lack of experience.

Maybe.

I think what Dan is saying is he has experience in working on several channels of though, collating and interpretting data and working to deadlines through his university work and something like filing is not something that's going to cause him a great deal of mental strain regardless of a lack of experience.

Maybe.

I think it just came across as arrogant the way it was written lol, like me saying I have a history MA I have incredible knowledge of the diplomatic landscape of Europe in the 19th century give me a job at Greggs. While my knowledge may be nice for myself or anyone interested (not many people then!) it isn't relevant to that particular job. Anyway nevermind I do get where Dan is coming from I hate being made to feel like my uni degree means shit.

I have had my job working as a teachers assistant at a special needs school since April, very lucky to have it. Have some very tough days but also loads of fun moments and the day flys by so I consider myself most fortunate.

I remember I applied for 2 jobs at a photography agency. 1 was as a photographer and 1 was as the person who photoshops the photos. I wasn't suitable for the photographer job since I wasn't so good with kids (school photography), but I got an interview and then an email saying I hadn't got the job. Which was fair enough, I wasn't sure I even wanted it. I sent an application for the photoshop guy and got a reply the same day saying something along the lines of "Your application/CV looks good, when can you pop in for a quick chat". Bit informal, I thought. I replied with when I was available and never heard anything again. It was half term though so I waited untill it was over and still no reply. So I emailed them again quoting them essentially offering me an interview. I got the reply "we've been swamped with applicants, please bear with us while we sort through them". Bit off a pisstake I thought, but fair enough, trying times and all that. Never heard from them again. Arseholes. Why offer me an interview, then just ignore me? Pissed me off a treat, since I think I'd have been pretty good at the job, I can photoshop pretty well (enough to do what they require), I've never taken days off sick and am pretty much always on time (only time I have ever been late was due to car troubles, and I still only got in 5 mins late). It's their loss as far as I'm concerned, but I still really wanted the job.

Maybe.

Unfortunately with the number of people graduating from University these days, a degree alone doesn't mean all that much. My mum's work has loads of graduates all doing jobs far beneath them there.

haha how is that even relevent. Thats like me saying i used to work on multi million pound weapon systems and they tell me i 'need experience' to maintain air con.

Get over yourself.

shush now

Maybe.

and listen to uncle Ashley.

Applying for jobs way below me does, unfortunately, seem par for the course. Doesn't stop it being bullshit, but it has to be done. Hopefully, this job I'm going for in Sheff Uni will be an exception of sorts: everything I've done in my spare time is, I think, experience enough. Then there's, you know, being me. I'd kick ass at this one.

shush now

and listen to uncle Ashley.

Applying for jobs way below me does, unfortunately, seem par for the course. Doesn't stop it being bullshit, but it has to be done. Hopefully, this job I'm going for in Sheff Uni will be an exception of sorts: everything I've done in my spare time is, I think, experience enough. Then there's, you know, being me. I'd kick ass at this one.

But if you were an employer would you rather employ someone who has been in admin since they left school at 16 and know what they are doing from day one. Or someone who went to uni and did what i guess was litrature? and would have to learn what they were doing. Even if they were capable?

But surely you can get jobs through a temping agency or in a pub or something. Anything is better than nothing right?

i know you mean well, and im not directing this at you, but nothing winds me up more then people giving me really ovious advice on job seeking.

people say "well, work as a waiter, restraunts are always hiring" i then explain that i have tried that, but many places are reluctant to hire a trained psychologist to do a job such as waiting or customer service. they belive i'll be there a couple of weeks while i wait for somthing better.

its very difficult to find the motivation to keep going at times.