NEurope
Dyson

Unemployment, travelling and smoking thread. Apparently.

Big name stores often have branded cardigans anyway (they're fugly as sin but they exist) for the sake of winter. Would it have been such a problem for them to get her one, even if she had to pay for it I'm sure she probably would (or maybe not...who knows).

Don't girls have those rediculous pointless cardigans which are basically sleeves nowadays. I'm guessing the issue is her cardigan was covering the store's name on the back of her shirt.

Thank you. :)

That is true, without those special chairs, it would have been difficult for him to work. But, thinking about the girl, wouldn't it also be difficult for her to do her job if she is always conscious in her own mind of being looked at. The rules are there to be upheld, there's no doubt about it, but the rules are there to ensure that all staff are presentable to the public. You wouldn't want someone walking around in a tank-top serving customers (if the dress code doesn't allow that), because it wouldn't be giving a positive message to customers.

She could still be presentable to the public and wear the cardigan. It's in-offensive clothing, in that it wouldn't cause particular offense to anyone. Wearing less clothes to show off skin might be offensive to some people, but I think wearing something just to cover her arms isn't too much to ask for.

She could just show off her arms, but then we're back to the issue of her dealing with the emotional issues that come with her disability. Some people are comfortable showing off parts of their body, and others are not. She has a genuine reason for being uncomfortable, so what guarantee is there that she could do her job effectively if she is uncomfortable with the way she is being presented?

Oh got, i read that last bit wrong =/

Anyway, i think she should have to obey the rules regardless.

She applied there, and knew there was a uniform. She probobly even knew what it was, so she should have to wear it.

If I was her workmate, I know I wouldn't care AT ALL for the sake of her feelings. Its not like she's doing it to be an utter twat. Don't point the finger unless you know what its like.

I dont know personally what its like. But i work in an enviroment where there are several people who do have prosthetics and they dont get any special treatment.

they probably should have let her wear a cardi. But its ridiculas that she is suing them for not letting her. They should have done it out of common sense. But its not discrimination.

You say they employed her knowing she had a prosthetic. Im also guessing she knew (and if she didnt shes a fool) that they had a dress code.

we talked about barriers to employment at that class today, i was told transport wasnt an issue, some stupid example was given of a warehouse job paying £25 an hour but being difficult to reach. (totaly fabricated) i was stopped from making my point untill this story was told, my point being that, for a part time bar job in newcastle, which is a bit of a trek, i would have to decline as no public transport is available after 12, and a taxi hme would cost my full wages. basicly they were saying "there are no barriers" whilst common sense would say, some jobs just arnt practical.

I got an interview for EA!

Not that EA,

this one.

Its on Friday and she seemed to presume I already live in London. Anyway I need to try and find someone's house to stop at that night, or go back on the train. Hmm.

Oh wait...buzz killed a bit: research helps I suppose.... Door to door sales, 11-8.30pm would be no good (as come October I'll be doing evening classes). I think I may cancel then. No point in going all the way down there for what appears to be crap.

Edited by Ashley

Well, after being relativley unemployed for a while (Saturday work only), I've landed 2 jobs!

This satuday I'm working from 9-5 in one place, then 9:30pm-3:30am in the other place! Lets see how long I can keep this up...

we talked about barriers to employment at that class today, i was told transport wasnt an issue, some stupid example was given of a warehouse job paying £25 an hour but being difficult to reach. (totaly fabricated) i was stopped from making my point untill this story was told, my point being that, for a part time bar job in newcastle, which is a bit of a trek, i would have to decline as no public transport is available after 12, and a taxi hme would cost my full wages. basicly they were saying "there are no barriers" whilst common sense would say, some jobs just arnt practical.

Anyone who uses an example that features a £25 an hour warehouse job is clearly not taking the discussion seriously.

Oh got, i read that last bit wrong =/

Anyway, i think she should have to obey the rules regardless.

She applied there, and knew there was a uniform. She probobly even knew what it was, so she should have to wear it.

She could still obey the rules, as in she would still be wearing the uniform. The only difference would be her wearing something to cover her arms. If she could wear something underneath the t-shirt as well, I bet that would make her happy and wouldn't be too much of a problem.

How can they say transport is not an issue?

My friend at Uni was told that she would be taking part in a teaching placement at Robertsbridge, which is a place that she has never heard of, been to, or seen before. It was a paired placement, meaning she would be car sharing, so that part is fine.

However, what the University didn't tell her was that the girl she would be car sharing with lived two hours away from her, by train. Not only that, but there would be an additional one hour spent driving in the car to get to the school!

For four months (the time spent on that placement) my friend had to leave her house at quarter to five in the morning, to take a two hour train to meet up with her friend, who would then drive to the school. That was to get at school for around quarter past 8. A horrendous journey. I have huge respect to her for doing that.

At the end of the placement, the school gave her a job, so she now works there. She's moved house with her boyfriend and they now both live much closer to the school. Funny how that story turns out, but that was a mammoth effort to get to that school. She probably spent around the same time traveling as she did working.

Transport is a huge issue.

I got an interview for EA!

Not that EA,

this one.

Its on Friday and she seemed to presume I already live in London. Anyway I need to try and find someone's house to stop at that night, or go back on the train. Hmm.

Oh wait...buzz killed a bit: research helps I suppose.... Door to door sales, 11-8.30pm would be no good (as come October I'll be doing evening classes). I think I may cancel then. No point in going all the way down there for what appears to be crap.

Aw, at lead you got the interview. Sorry it didn't work out. Keep trying.

Well, after being relativley unemployed for a while (Saturday work only), I've landed 2 jobs!

This satuday I'm working from 9-5 in one place, then 9:30pm-3:30am in the other place! Lets see how long I can keep this up...

Well done. Two jobs...many would kill for the one, haha. Well played.

Another day, and no letters, emails or phone calls from any schools. I think our post is being funny in this area at the moment. I hope to God I hear something soon.

Although, three new jobs have been added today for Primary school. So, going to print the application forms off and send them off in the next few days.

She could still obey the rules, as in she would still be wearing the uniform. The only difference would be her wearing something to cover her arms. If she could wear something underneath the t-shirt as well, I bet that would make her happy and wouldn't be too much of a problem.

100% agreed.

The simplest thing like actually having a uniform jumper/long sleeved top. Or wearing a basic white or black long sleeved shirt under her work shirt. Is that REALLY so hard to ask.

I'm sorry (read: not sorry at all) but you haters have absolutely NO. IDEA.

The feeling of not being able to cover something like this is terrifying. Being the centre of attention because of something like this can make you feel despicable.

I've been ridiculed so many times for my skin, and its absolutely heartbreaking.. for both me and my family who have to sometimes witness this sickening behaviour. When I was a teenager I could hardly speak to other people because I was so frightened of the reaction I would get from my skin.

Nothing to do with fairness for everyone, the girl is perfectly able to work like anyone else - so don't give me this equality bullshit. The management should be providing necessary uniform for health and safety reasons, and making sure the staff are able to work without harassment. Nothing to do with everyone being equal at all!!

If someone's being an ass and taking the biscuit for no reason, the management should tell them to shut the fuck up and get back to work.

100% agreed.

The simplest thing like actually having a uniform jumper/long sleeved top. Or wearing a basic white or black long sleeved shirt under her work shirt. Is that REALLY so hard to ask.

I'm sorry (read: not sorry at all) but you haters have absolutely NO. IDEA.

The feeling of not being able to cover something like this is terrifying. Being the centre of attention because of something like this can make you feel despicable.

I've been ridiculed so many times for my skin, and its absolutely heartbreaking.. for both me and my family who have to sometimes witness this sickening behaviour. When I was a teenager I could hardly speak to other people because I was so frightened of the reaction I would get from my skin.

Nothing to do with fairness for everyone, the girl is perfectly able to work like anyone else - so don't give me this equality bullshit. The management should be providing necessary uniform for health and safety reasons, and making sure the staff are able to work without harassment. Nothing to do with everyone being equal at all!!

If someone's being an ass and taking the biscuit for no reason, the management should tell them to shut the fuck up and get back to work.

Nahh i do havea kind of idea from working with lads that have had limbs blown off. Health and safety my arse.

My interview was very friendly and relaxed today (where I used to work but different department) no nasty interview questions. They've only interviewed 3 people including me, one of which I used to work with. They're letting us know later today so fingers crossed...

Another day, and no letters, emails or phone calls from any schools. I think our post is being funny in this area at the moment. I hope to God I hear something soon.

I believe that the Postman may have been kidnapped by Chavs, or was robbed. One way or the other, who knows.

I got the job :smile: I start Monday. Bit sad to be getting paid so much less than before but I can get a lot of experience and I like the sound of it, the people seem really nice too.

I got the job :smile: I start Monday. Bit sad to be getting paid so much less than before but I can get a lot of experience and I like the sound of it, the people seem really nice too.

Yaaaaay! Congrats on the new job Katie!

handed some CVs out in the metro center. theres something very pathetic about a 22 year old man, with letters after his name, handing his CV into shops.

Thanks you two, I was getting a bit worried when they hadn't called by 5 but she rang just after. I'm glad it's a job in my town so I can walk to work, I hated the thought to travelling for hours everday!

And Jim it's Katémon!

Thanks you two, I was getting a bit worried when they hadn't called by 5 but she rang just after. I'm glad it's a job in my town so I can walk to work, I hated the thought to travelling for hours everday!

And Jim it's Katémon!

I can't do that accented E. :(

Aww, I'm proud of you, Katie. You're like a sister to me, haha. Joe is my brother. Although, perhaps we're all a bit incestuous.

Yaaaay, go you. :D I'm happy for you. :)

Well done! :)

Nice to hear some people are getting jobs in such a hard market these days.

Got offered a full time teachers assistant job at the special needs school I've been working at couldn't be happier.

I did 3 weeks with a really tough class had to chase pupils running out of doors be sworn at and even hit a few times lol. But the good moments outweigh the chaos and I think they were impressed I stuck in there. For example went swimming with one of the classes the other day and Revolution 1 by the Beatles came on and I was like wow Im getting paid for this! lol

So things are looking good hope other people get success soon as well.

Congrats Katie.

Oh well, i now rejoin the ranks of the unemployed as of Thursday next week i believe. I had a letter stating that i am to attend a dismissal meeting that day on the grounds of redundancy.

Something did catch my eye in the letter, it stated that i chose not to exercise my right to appeal. Which i bloody did. Sod Fairfields, i got 2 years of experience and 2 years service and this is how they treat me.

Thanks and congrats to you as well Haden.

Sorry to hear that Jimbob, I guess it's just a standard letter they didn't bother to think about before issuing?

Just to let anyone who may be interested know, SKY are looking for engineers. No experience neccessary, all training provided. Fully stocked van, uniform, fuel card and a PDA. £25k pa.

They just employed me today.

Easiest interview ever, I had to climb a ladder, sit a very easy technical exam, and have an interview.

First time I have been employed since leaving the Navy.

Thanks and congrats to you as well Haden.

Sorry to hear that Jimbob, I guess it's just a standard letter they didn't bother to think about before issuing?

Yeah tis a standard letter, my latest blog really does clear my head of frustrations. Mainly full of profanities and all that.

As i said, i look on the bright side now.

Goodish news everyone!

Called up HMV yesterday, and supposedly the store opening has been pushed back to an undetermined date, and as such they can't offer me a job - officially. The guy told me that I've been earmarked for the job, and that the moment he knows something he'll get back to me. He said he could be hearing about the new date as early as Monday, so fingers crossed.

I havn't psyched myself up for it though, it wouldn't surprise me if something changed and I didn't get the job. Until I've officially got it I'm not gonna be celebrating just yet :heh:

Just to let anyone who may be interested know, SKY are looking for engineers. No experience neccessary, all training provided. Fully stocked van, uniform, fuel card and a PDA. £25k pa.

They just employed me today.

Easiest interview ever, I had to climb a ladder, sit a very easy technical exam, and have an interview.

First time I have been employed since leaving the Navy.

I take it you need a driving license?