N-Europe

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plus the fact it used to be £1,000 to go to uni, now is £3,000 and theres talk of raising it up to be £10,000. Surely the cost of running a university hasn't changed that much in a space of a few years so where the hell is all this money going?

Paying intrest on loans to prop up banks??????

It used to be free to go to uni uner the tories (im not syaing they could change it back now) just something i find amusing with respect to left wing party. In a way its a policy which is keeping poor people poor. Rich people arnt really worried about a poxy 3k a year

My point being you can claim that you 3k a yearis funding a war when in the same post saying it might be going up to 10k. By my poor maths that shows to me the govemnet is subing you 7k a year. I dont think 3k a year s too much for someone to pay for something that is going benefit them greatly in future life unless they do something useless, in which case they deserve to pay farmore than 3k.

Your tuition fees pay for your tuition or am i missing something??? Wars do end but not if you try to fight them on a shoe string as Labour have been doing for he past nearly 9 years.

Two things. First, how Labour have fought the war is nothing to do with what I'm saying (Like you said, it sounds pretty dire).

Second, Labour have completely fucked the education system in the county. Introducing absurd exams for 11 year olds, or around that age - I'm not sure exactly. Next devaluing both GCSEs and A levels through dubbing down - not to fucking mention the idea of a time evaluated written exams being a relic of imperialism (Honestly, exams should be limited by word count and a generous time limit, instead of favouring exam technique and information regurgitation).

Next up is the proposed 50% attendance to university. What a load of utter crap. This is what happens when you don't live in the real world and you're just surrounded by your moats and duck houses. University is NOT for everyone, and I don't mean this in an elitist 'Some people are just too thick.' I mean it in that university should not be seen as the only ideal option (Look at Japan, they have around 90% go on to higher education but there is a difference between university and college). All you get is the system getting flooded with degrees that are a load of bollocks like Textiles of Media Studies placing unnecessary and inefficient burden on an already fragile system. They're now fining universities for having too many students on their courses.

They're also proposing fast track degrees of two years. WHAT a load of crap. University is not about being pumped full of information. It's a place to nurture ideas and academic creativity - not just tick a box on your CV which is what Labour have reduced it to.

They're also cutting funding. £130 million this year. My department had its funding cut last year, they were forced to fail a certain amount of students in the end of year exam by marking amazingly harshly.

As Michael Jackson said, 'children are our future' - and currently that future is fucked. If we hadn't gone to war in the first place the government would be much more able to subsidise higher education, as opposed to slowly upping the price (with recent suggestions of £30,000 every year - astonishing when you consider some courses only have 6 hours of contact time). Who the hell wants to finish university with £100,000 worth of debt?

Students cannot afford the university system we have. Yeah, in the short term it saves money but this will cost the economy big time in the long run.

/RANT

Labour are fucking scum. They make by blood boil. Hate the Tories all you want but don't pretend Labour are your savour.

Edited by Daft
Rage typos

I don't get why universities are so stupidly expensive there. Or why you only seem to have universities. =/

We have the choice between university and what the Americans would call college. Both seem to cost about the same amount though; I think we're paying about €550 per year. But you can get money from the government if your family doesn't earn enough, making it so you only have to pay about €330 (half support) or even €80 (if you get full support). And as far as I'm aware you don't have to pay that money back at all.

But yeah, paying £3000 per year or more is just... ridiculous really.

Paying intrest on loans to prop up banks??????

It used to be free to go to uni uner the tories (im not syaing they could change it back now) just something i find amusing with respect to left wing party. In a way its a policy which is keeping poor people poor. Rich people arnt really worried about a poxy 3k a year

My point being you can claim that you 3k a yearis funding a war when in the same post saying it might be going up to 10k. By my poor maths that shows to me the govemnet is subing you 7k a year. I dont think 3k a year s too much for someone to pay for something that is going benefit them greatly in future life unless they do something useless, in which case they deserve to pay farmore than 3k.

I think the free-in-the-past thing coincidentally fell under the Tory government (but I could be wrong about this), I doubt any government would nowadays offer free university education (I doubt I'm wrong about this).

I think we were looking at it in different ways. As I understand it you were saying "if they're now saying that it should cost £10K, then thats 7K we're currently not paying" yeah? Personally as I looked at it they seem to be throwing darts at a number board picking the costs. Is there any breakdowns available of how tuition fees are spent, and how much it really costs per student?

As I mentioned earlier, either party fuck you in one way or another.

Strange how this all started with Myleene Klass...

I don't get why universities are so stupidly expensive there. Or why you only seem to have universities. =/

We have the choice between university and what the Americans would call college. Both seem to cost about the same amount though; I think we're paying about €550 per year. But you can get money from the government if your family doesn't earn enough, making it so you only have to pay about €330 (half support) or even €80 (if you get full support). And as far as I'm aware you don't have to pay that money back at all.

For international students its a hell of a lot worse. £13,000 a year for my gf, since she's from Singapore.

So that's why she's dating you. Its a visa thing!

In America its far more expensive too. Depending on where you go (cheaper if you stay in state) the costs varies but looking at NYU it costs $35,000 per year! And bigger schools like Harvard and Yale will cost even more.

For international students its a hell of a lot worse. £13,000 a year for my gf, since she's from Singapore.

Very true, though scottish universities are different I think. I know someone from Finland who will be going pretty much free to Stirling Uni next year.

And where does all that money go? O.o

Sounds like being a lecturer in the UK earns you lots of money or something haha. Seriously though, that is ridiculous.

Very true, though scottish universities are different I think. I know someone from Finland who will be going pretty much free to Stirling Uni next year.

Actually yeah you proved me wrong ^_^ I forgot Scottish unis are free (for Scots). My bad.

Ah okay so I'm very wrong. Ah well. I still can't imagine the UK ever giving away uni again.

Edited by Ashley

We pay around 800€ per year here and if you can't afford (based on parents or your own salary) its free. Although I guess we have a lower base income and being a less developed country, people do need better incentives to go to uni than countries that already have better ratio of diplomas/habitants.

And I never understood the difference between college or uni. We don't have that over here I believe.

I have a friend (Portuguese) studying in Scotland for free... That's all I have to add... There's a foreign guy studying there for free. :P

Second, Labour have completely fucked the education system in the county. (remove the words education system in and the and you will be half way there lol)

Next up is the proposed 50% attendance to university.

(it will be brilliant tradesmen will have to get paid a fortune as there wont be any, they havent thaught that one through at all

If we hadn't gone to war in the first place the government would be much more able to subsidise higher education. You say that as if we had a great deal of choice. By beaing a member of NATO we had to. An attack on any member state will be considered an attack on the allience, or words to that effect. Iraq was differnet we didnt have to go. Afghanistan really is a war that needs to be fought rather than a war of choice.

Labour are fucking scum. They make by blood boil.

Im just quoteing this line as if i said it myself i would have to stand by for a public stoneing to death from members of the forum infact im going to quote it again.

Yeah, I couldn't give two shits who you vote for.

I've been thinking more about who to vote for come election.

And I'm trapped because I feel like if I vote for either of the two main parties then I have to make a decision about how best it was/is to deal with a recession.

I'm thinking of just voting for the Parliamentary Reform Party...

And where does all that money go? O.o

Sounds like being a lecturer in the UK earns you lots of money or something haha. Seriously though, that is ridiculous.

I remember talking to my college (not university) teacher about this, apprently college tutors earn more than university teachers..interesting.

Second, Labour have completely fucked the education system in the county. (remove the words education system in and the and you will be half way there lol)

Next up is the proposed 50% attendance to university.

(it will be brilliant tradesmen will have to get paid a fortune as there wont be any, they havent thaught that one through at all

If we hadn't gone to war in the first place the government would be much more able to subsidise higher education. You say that as if we had a great deal of choice. By beaing a member of NATO we had to. An attack on any member state will be considered an attack on the allience, or words to that effect. Iraq was differnet we didnt have to go. Afghanistan really is a war that needs to be fought rather than a war of choice.

Im just quoteing this line as if i said it myself i would have to stand by for a public stoneing to death from members of the forum infact im going to quote it again.

Tbh, my comments weren't really aimed at the war. Although if you're talking about retaliation against 9/11 I'm going to have point out it was the reaction to that event that landed us in this decade of terror.

From that point on, events have only escalated. Islamophobia, the attack on the London Underground, Madrid.

Not to mention the Taliban were only in the position they were in because of American funding to fight the Russians.

Actually...I'm not sure why we need to be in Afghanistan.

Points to make;

I don't think any course my uni offers can really justify the money they are asking for. Effectively they give me a list of books, teach me how to teach myself, and open the doors to a library with all the books already in it.

You pay for the bragging rights after completion - for the proof that you are as smart as you say you are.

50% uni attendance is more like keeping tabs on who is doing what. An increase in labouring courses just means that there will be less labouring jobs for those who don't go to uni, mean that customers will prefer to utilise a workforce with certificated 'experience'.

Danny - you want a stoning? If we make you eat rocks we're just going to make your brain rattle more when you think. And by 'think' I mean 'be unable to comprehend any other way of life, any complexities in other individual human beings'. Your definition of scum is overstuffed with exaggeration. Just because you don't have the vocabulary to properly formulate your true opinion on the matter doesn't mean you have to lie/resort to The Sun terminology.

Sometimes I really wish we could put people in charge of the country for a day, just to see how much of a monumental fuck-up they are with their "the country should be run like this". I suppose their heads would explode.

If the school system is completely fucked then what evidence will we find? There are young people who, from reception onwards, have been taught by Labour's standards. Are you suggesting that they are completely fucked? What are you even on about, actually? Oh, yeah! You're not able to use your own mind as a set of scales and compare pros and cons. You can't seem to grasp anything less than Black or White.

I'm sitting here overwhelmingly aware of how little I know about how the country is run, that's why it both frightens and amuses me to see people who clearly know even less than I do are so passionately unaware of their own ignorance. Hell, its not even as if I'm disagreeing with all your posts! Just your lack of intelligent communication. I suppose that's the conservative's faulty schooling then?

This story really couldn't have been timed any better.

Universities tell Gordon Brown: cuts will bring us to our knees

Top universities accuse Gordon Brown of jeopardising 800 years of higher education, warning that they could quickly be "brought to their knees" by the government's spending cuts of up to £2.5bn, thereby damaging Britain's ability to recover from recession.

In a withering attack, the leaders of the Russell Group of 20 leading universities say: "It has taken more than 800 years to create one of the world's greatest education systems, and it looks like it will take just six months to bring it to its knees."

There are a lot of brilliant institutions. Now, however, there are a lot of absolutely third rate shit ones. It should be about quality not quantity but crap institutions, teaching joke degrees, have become a massive drain on the funding bringing the whole system down.

There are a lot of brilliant institutions. Now, however, there are a lot of absolutely third rate shit ones. It should be about quality not quantity but crap institutions, teaching joke degrees, have become a massive drain on the funding bringing the whole system down.

Unfortunetly I have the same view as jayseven when it comes to university. I could have learnt alot (not all) this on my own without paying 3grand.

But its not just me, nor sheffield hallam, its things people keep saying to me time and time again, I learn so much at college and it was free, yet I'm learning less at university and paying a ridiculous amount.

Sigh, sorry I'll move on.

I did media studies...

Not at Uni though.

To be honest, if anyone does do Media Studies here I'm not going to apologise for my views. Some subjects shouldn't be given a degree status.

Unfortunetly I have the same view as jayseven when it comes to university. I could have learnt alot (not all) this on my own without paying 3grand.

But its not just me, nor sheffield hallam, its things people keep saying to me time and time again, I learn so much at college and it was free, yet I'm learning less at university and paying a ridiculous amount.

Sigh, sorry I'll move on.

I get that, to a certain point but if that's really what you think then maybe you didn't take advantage enough of what was on offer? I don't really know how to put it (and I don't mean to sound rude. I can't really think of a way to word it properly). I know that in my first two years at university I didn't take advantage of my university and the environment it provided at all. I am now and there's nowhere like it.

Edited by Daft