Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2009/2010

Mr-Paul

Cracking article by George Caulkin in the Times the other day

In defence of the North East

Well worth a read, especially points 1. and 2.

I quite enjoyed reading that. A good article.

I know Newcastle fans get criticised as being "deluded or over-ambitious," but what is football if you can't dream?

The Spurs-Arsenal game tonight was quite good, although I missed about the first 20 minutes of it as I was walking to the gym. Caught the rest of it whilst doing my cardio. I thought Spurs hustled Arsenal very well, pressured them at numerous times and prevented Arsenal from moving as freely as they'd like to. The defence and midfield seemed to spot Arsenal's passes that second quicker, and got in some good interceptions.

I'm delighted to see Spurs win, because I don't want the City scum to get fourth. In fact, I'd rather Liverpool somehow got to fourth in place of City, if possible.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quite enjoyed reading that. A good article.

I know Newcastle fans get criticised as being "deluded or over-ambitious," but what is football if you can't dream?

The Spurs-Arsenal game tonight was quite good, although I missed about the first 20 minutes of it as I was walking to the gym. Caught the rest of it whilst doing my cardio. I thought Spurs hustled Arsenal very well, pressured them at numerous times and prevented Arsenal from moving as freely as they'd like to. The defence and midfield seemed to spot Arsenal's passes that second quicker, and got in some good interceptions.

I'm delighted to see Spurs win, because I don't want the City scum to get fourth. In fact, I'd rather Liverpool somehow got to fourth in place of City, if possible.

That just reminded me of how much Liverpool's fortunes reversed in the past year. So weird to think they were title contenders....

That just reminded me of how much Liverpool's fortunes reversed in the past year. So weird to think they were title contenders....

It is weird. Very weird. Especially when I think about the end of last season.

But then, equally as weird is how Arsenal have been right up there going for the title. It might just be out of their reach now, but they've been an outside bet for most of it. Considering that some thought they'd finish outside of the top four, I think they've done well.

I was really worried about how we'd fare this season. We could have been in the position Liverpool are now. You just don't know in football. I remember immediately after Ruud left, my head was all over the place thinking sheeet, where are the goals gonna come from?! But, teams find a way to carry on fighting.

It is weird. Very weird. Especially when I think about the end of last season.

But then, equally as weird is how Arsenal have been right up there going for the title. It might just be out of their reach now, but they've been an outside bet for most of it. Considering that some thought they'd finish outside of the top four, I think they've done well.

I was really worried about how we'd fare this season. We could have been in the position Liverpool are now. You just don't know in football. I remember immediately after Ruud left, my head was all over the place thinking sheeet, where are the goals gonna come from?! But, teams find a way to carry on fighting.

That's why it's so good, no?

Was it the 96/97 season Newcastle were up 12 points at christmas....and still lost =P

Get in you dirty gooners!!! What a match, what a result. Yet ANOTHER year without a trophy for Arsenal... And with Fabregas gone in the summer things will only get worse. And if the Yids can get Champions League football then things could be very interesting next year!!!

Typical focusing on our demise rather than you're own glory.

gun__1216219290_champions2004.jpg

Typical focusing on our demise rather than you're own glory.

gun__1216219290_champions2004.jpg

Ah, bless. Still living in the past!!

We haven't had any glory yet so that's all I have to go on. But it gives me great pleasure. If we finish 4th though, trust me, I will certainly be focussing very well on our glory!!!

Was it the 96/97 season Newcastle were up 12 points at christmas....and still lost =P

Fuck yeah. Football's unpredictability is what makes it so compelling. When it boils down to it, it's 11 men versus 11. Anyone can beat anyone on their day.

I remember that season. You thrashed us 5-0. Now that gave me nightmares, haha. Wasn't that the same season that featured the 4-3 win you had over Liverpool? I watched highlights of that game yesterday!

Fuck yeah. Football's unpredictability is what makes it so compelling. When it boils down to it, it's 11 men versus 11. Anyone can beat anyone on their day.

I remember that season. You thrashed us 5-0. Now that gave me nightmares, haha. Wasn't that the same season that featured the 4-3 win you had over Liverpool? I watched highlights of that game yesterday!

Liverpool won that game ;)

I think the 5-0 game was the season after if my memory serves me well

Then again United beat Newcastle 5-0 around that period ('99?) with 4 goals from Andy Cole, favourite player, and one from Giggs.

Andy Cole was a beast. A bit of a journeyman, but I really liked him. The whole team of 99 were heroes, and sometimes I get a bit hard when I think of the attackers we had in that team.

Liverpool won that game ;)

I think the 5-0 game was the season after if my memory serves me well

Doh, you're right, because that game dented their title chances. Dunno how I got that wrong, I must've been on something. Collymore got the winner, I remember now.

Aye, you're right. The game against Liverpool was in April, and the one against United was in October. Both 1996.

I'm not with it today. :(

What a finish, how important will that goal be?! (Probably won't make a difference though :heh:)

It was a very even game, United shaded it on chances created and Rooney missed a fantastic one in the first half, but City always looked like they might do something.

Come on Spurs!

Pretty sure Man U had games in hand when we were 12 points clear. Wasn't really so much Newcastle throwing it away as Man U going on an amazing run and only dropping about 5 points from then till the end of the season. In the 5-0 the scorers were Peacock, Ginola, Ferdinand, Shearer and Albert. Andy Cole had been sold to Man U about 2 years earlier, so I dunno where this idea he scored 4 against them came from :P

What a day. Fucking hell! We looked really up for it in the derby. There was some good football in the first half, and I was impressed with how Valencia handheld Bellamy. Tracked back nicely to help out Neville. I was worried about how Bellamy would do on the side against Neville, but he looked off the boil today.

Vidic and Evans are both unsung heroes from today's game. They dealt with almost everything that came at them. Looked very comfortable together. Scholes was brilliant today. He's had a few games this season where he hasn't been at his best. But, when he's been on form, he's been fantastic. Bossed that midfield and turned back time with that performance. No other person deserved the match winner apart from him. I had tears in my bluddy eyes when that went in! Literally, I had my hands together almost praying. "One Last Attack, just get the ball UP THERE! Evra...SCHOLES! FUCKING HELL AHHHHHH!!!"

After the game, I was moving furniture so managed to miss most of the first half of the Spurs-Chelsea game. Tuned into Radio 5 and Bale put them two up almost immediately. Couldn't believe it. Then Terry getting himself sent off. What a day.

What was that about football being unpredictable?! Before today, I bet the odds were on Chelsea and City to win both games.

Pretty sure Man U had games in hand when we were 12 points clear. Wasn't really so much Newcastle throwing it away as Man U going on an amazing run and only dropping about 5 points from then till the end of the season. In the 5-0 the scorers were Peacock, Ginola, Ferdinand, Shearer and Albert. Andy Cole had been sold to Man U about 2 years earlier, so I dunno where this idea he scored 4 against them came from :P

He's on about scoring four for Man United against Newcastle. I didn't reply to it directly because...I really don't remember that game. I've tried googling it, but found nothing either. It definitely wasn't the 1998/99 season. :(

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!