Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2009/2010

Mr-Paul

Rumours flying around that Chel$ea are preparing a £40m move for David Villa and Zlatan Ibrahimovic being talked about moving to Man €ity. You gotta love when the transfer window starts!

Not really...Rumours going around that Pompey are playing youth team for fa cup this weekend to avoid cuptieing any sellable players..oh and we are going bust, the owners are selling the naming rights to fratton park and selling the ground to raise funds just to keep going till the end of the season...

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And RC Lens want to see Pompey wither as well.

Something awfully French about that whole row, to be honest. Reminds me of when Lille attempted to walk off the pitch in protest to a Ryan Giggs goal in the Champions League one season.

Bloody French. Michel Platini, need I say more? Apart from the fact that I hate that cunt? Didn't think so.

^^ Just watched it. I wonder if Beckford will be on his way to the Premiership sometime soon.

He won't leave League 1 for the prem, he's no Keith Andrews. If he established himself in the Championship then maybe but I can't see him moving one day to the prem. He's 26 now and only a desperate team would think of him.

Him aside shocking game by United, really sums up our season so far. Hot and cold throughout, will be interesting to see what Flink has to say about this. I honestly can't understand why everyone is calling for Berbatov's head, there seems to be growing unrest about him within corners of united fans. My only hope is now that the final is Chelsea/Arsenal so we can concentrate on the League and Europe. :hmm:

What was Fergie thinking with Obertan and Wellbeck, fair enough play them, but do so on their favoured side! The second half looked much better when they switched - should've been that way from the beginning.

Brown was shambolic in defence and Kuskjac (or however you spell his name...) should have been out a lot faster after Beckford's poor first touch for the goal. He had enough time to smother the ball, but not only did he take an age to react but he also stopped half way there. We seriously need Van der Sar back ASAP!

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is gonna be a trophyless season at OT. Of course everyone will then blame that on the departure of Ronaldo, but the fact is that the team we still have should be able to stand up to just about anyone, as Fresh said we've just been very hot and cold, no consistency at all...

Wheres the credit to Leeds..? United have played worse than that this season and still picked up the win.

I thought it was an entertaining game. Leeds made a great account of themselves, defended like troopers and at times really stretched a united defence which is admittedly only just coming back together.

It gets annoying to hear one-sided reviews of games. It seems (from hearing people talk) that Leeds didn't so much win the match, rather that Utd lost it :indeed:

What was Fergie thinking with Obertan and Wellbeck, fair enough play them, but do so on their favoured side! The second half looked much better when they switched - should've been that way from the beginning.

Brown was shambolic in defence and Kuskjac (or however you spell his name...) should have been out a lot faster after Beckford's poor first touch for the goal. He had enough time to smother the ball, but not only did he take an age to react but he also stopped half way there. We seriously need Van der Sar back ASAP!

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is gonna be a trophyless season at OT. Of course everyone will then blame that on the departure of Ronaldo, but the fact is that the team we still have should be able to stand up to just about anyone, as Fresh said we've just been very hot and cold, no consistency at all...

I've never been really worried about the departure of Ronaldo. He covered up many of our flaws when he played. I'm more worried about the games we play without Fletcher playing in his natural position or him and Evra not playing at all.

Wheres the credit to Leeds..? United have played worse than that this season and still picked up the win.

I thought it was an entertaining game. Leeds made a great account of themselves, defended like troopers and at times really stretched a united defence which is admittedly only just coming back together.

It gets annoying to hear one-sided reviews of games. It seems (from hearing people talk) that Leeds didn't so much win the match, rather that Utd lost it :indeed:

Your not really going to get that here. Not from unless we have some Leeds fans I'm forgetting about. Plus when you have a team such as United which came of such a win and were in such a dominant position it really was United to loose.

Your not really going to get that here. Not from unless we have some Leeds fans I'm forgetting about. Plus when you have a team such as United which came of such a win and were in such a dominant position it really was United to loose.

For a club I can not stand, they deserve some plaudits today.

After Beckford's first touch I turned to my brother and said "he's fucked it", then he tucked it away. It was a sensational finish.

Not too mention Beckford's second half miss and Snodgrass hitting the bar, though Owen missed a sitter, so the score could have be completely different.

Also thought Brown was lucky to stay on the pitch, but then Man Utd (to be more specific, Flecther) are the masters of getting away with many fouls.

---

I didn't want to post anything until we'd play just in case I jinxed us, we were crap, but Ramsey proving again he's ready for the first team and a decent header from Eduardo. I want an away day, I was too skint to go to West Ham.

We are Leeds. :bouncy:

/Thread.

I went to watch them play Accrington two weeks ago in the JPT and even though they won 2-0 they were absolutely abysmal and Accrington fully deserved to win... Today though, I think that was the best Leeds performance in the last 5 years! We were the better team and our guys played thier hearts out. We fully deserved the win and were unlucky to not be further ahead. I can't wait for the next game at Spurs.

Got my ticket for the Man Utd game today, cost me over a hundred because I paid for my brothers as his birthday present. First time I've actually managed to get two tickets for the fixture so I'm quite chuffed.

Random fact time: First ever match I went to was Arsenal v Man Utd 4th November 1995, Arsenal won 1-0, with Dennis Bergkamp scoring the only goal. An eight year old Ramar had a hero for life.

I missed the game, as I was travelling back from seeing Ine, so was on the Eurostar when I found out the score. I've got the game recorded on the telly, but didn't get a chance to watch it, as I got called out for work this morning. So, I can only base my reply on highlights and the snippets that I have seen.

My heart sank when I saw the team sheet that Fergie put out. 7 changes. From one of our best performances of the season against Wigan, where we scored for fun. Fair enough, there's the Carling Cup Semi against City on Wednesday, and then Birmingham on Saturday (both away games), but there was simply no need to change the majority of the squad. Exchanging Evra for Fabio is one I can live with, as that lad is a great prospect and Evra has worked his arse off all season. He's been our best defender. Vidic, who went out with an injury in the warm up with Evans coming on is another that had to be made. But, what was the thinking of playing Neville ahead of Rafael, who probably had his best performance in a United shirt against Wigan? The vintage Neville performances have been very few and far between. Imo, he should not have been played.

Why oh why is Danny Welbeck constantly played out on the wing? When has he actually looked settled or effective out there? If you're going to play him, play him up top with another striker, but he isn't a bluddy winger. Again, why deviate from the team who played against Wigan? Valencia and Rafael were fantastic...The midfield was completely changed, and it was just so un-necessary. What was the point?

There's always been a fierce rivalry with Leeds, and an old work friend of mine is a huuuuge Leeds fan, and he's been dying for this tie, especially for the third round. The fans were pumped, the team have been flying at the top of the league, and their eyes must have lit up like a fucking Christmas Tree when they saw the team sheet that we put out. They attacked well, controlled the midfield, defended well, and they had the luck that they needed to ensure that we didn't sneak an equaliser. I'm a huge fan of the FA Cup, and I was looking forward to this game. For the neutrals, it must have been great. But, for me, this defeat could and should have been avoided. Like I said, playing Fabio at left back is a decision I can understand. But, some of the other ones were questionable. An entire midfield changed? Also, what does it take for the team to look lively? We didn't care much about the Liverpool game, or this game, or even the Arsenal game for that matter.

Ramar! I'm going to your home ground on Wednesday for Arsenal v Bolton. Although, I'm sitting in the home end and I'll be wearing my red coat so some would say I've gone over to the dark side, but I know better! I'd be more excited if I didn't think I was going to be frozen solid by the end of the game, oh and we don't have a manager.

I'll have to be on lookout now, for a young woman in a red coat not celebrating. :wink: Do you know where abouts you're sitting?

I just hope you don't get Owen Coyle before we play, new manager syndrome and all. Though I am looking forward to some Chris Evans banter.

Ah no, I don't know where we're sitting, I didn't book it! Coyle would be brilliant, although it would seem a surprising move for him, from one Northern cheap club to another ;)

Those are my thoughts too, but we are a (slightly) bigger club than Burnley and he was a hero for us at Burnden Park. We are closer to his heart.

Can't help but wonder why he doesn't wait to go to a bigger club when the opportunity inevitably comes up, but I suppose that most of the top Prem clubs only tend to take on foreign managers nowadays

but I suppose that most of the top Prem clubs only tend to take on foreign managers nowadays

Interesting point, if we take the top 4, you've got 3 foreign managers. But two of the top four managers have been at their club for over 10 years. Only two teams have recently had the chance to throw in a Brit, Chelsea and Liverpool.

If we look outside the top four, the next 4 teams, Everton, Spurs, Villa and Man City. (Obviously the current table doesn't reflect the order I've picked these teams but go with it) 3 have British managers. The next tier of teams, Fulham, Sunderland and Birmingham, they too have British managers.

So personally I think the whole 'British Managers never get a chance' is a bit of Sky Media spin. Thoughts?

The criticism seems to be aimed at there being a lack of English/British managers getting the highest profile jobs, like the England job for example. I think there were some areas where people were disappointed that Capello was employed instead of another British manager. But, the problem I think is that there wasn't an available British manager at the time who probably could have stepped in and done as good or a better job than Capello has done. When I say available, I mean managers who were not already at a club, and who were probably tempted to change jobs.

There are some great managers out there. Owen Coyle is one of them, David Moyes is somebody who I really respect, and Harry Redknapp would also fall under this category. However, if Harry was offered the United job tomorrow, how would we feel? Or if Owen Coyle was given the Arsenal job, for example. In truth, everybody has to start somewhere, and sometimes you have to take a gambles to truely reap the rewards. I've heard a few United fans in the past say that they would be happy if David Moyes took over at Old Trafford in the future, and if it ever does happen, then he deserves a fair chance.

The media is really fickle, and there's a great degree of criticism that takes place in this country. Not only that, but the expectations are always high. But, back to the main point, there are some great managers out there, and who will surely be getting better as time goes by. Managers like Ferguson and Wenger didn't just become great managers overnight. It takes a lot of grafting, work, and also being able to make mistakes, but then learning how to avoid those mistakes again.

As I type this the game is still going ahead, because of the snow I'm leaving in a bit, if it gets called off now I'm going to be pissed off at the club for not calling it off earlier.

Edit- Good job I held back a few minutes, now postponed.

Edited by Ramar

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!