NEurope
Retro_Link

The Last Guardian

Ico and SotC were beautiful for their sense of loneliness and desperation. It's hard to tell from a few minutes of footage if this one will be the same. Everything shown looked just like SotC in terms of visuals, location and movement though, so I'm hopeful.

In terms of graphics, it did look just like the SotC HD version though. Not exactly a graphical masterpiece, but I loved the way the HD Collection looked, so I don't really mind.

For some reason, I've been really interested in the story and development behind this game for the last month. I've heard rumblings about the game still being in development but didn't think much of it. Oh my god, my mouth just dropped wide open when I saw the conference earlier.

That reaction from the crowd too when they knew what was coming. It was just beautiful. Fuark, I love E3.

Game looks ace but I'm just thankful that it's still coming at all!

Was I the only person who saw the trailer and thought "...Meh."?

Wasn't feeling anything special when watching it.

Was I the only person who saw the trailer and thought "...Meh."?

Wasn't feeling anything special when watching it.

I've noticed a couple of people say that and it seems to be mostly people who never played/got far with Ico/SOTC, or are only properly coming across the game the first time via this trailer. I think what excites me most from the trailer is the hallmark Japan Studio flair and it leaves me feeling very positive that we're in for a very high quality, beautiful game like we have seen before with SOTC. I think as well that you've got tons of games that are very action-oriented and this is a complete contrast, so at a cursory glance I can see why some might think it looks 'boring'. Mark my words though, I expect greatness. :D

I never got to play ICO or SotC (well I tried SotC once but couldn't get into it because of the controls, as I had never held a PS2 controller before), but they always seemed interesting. Wouldn't mind giving them a try today if I had the option.

The Last Guardian really seems like my type of game: puzzles, slower paced, great character interactions... I can see myself liking this game already, so I am definitely looking forward to it. :)

I've noticed a couple of people say that and it seems to be mostly people who never played/got far with Ico/SOTC, or are only properly coming across the game the first time via this trailer.

That's me! :yay:

28293d1421156196-help-ghosts-image.png

Until the game is on store shelves and in my hand, this date is fake :p

I'm more hyped for this game than even Zelda!

At this point we've seen more of this game.

They've drastically downgraded the character models, which isn't at all surprising because the dogbird would've been causing all sorts of headaches.

Absolutely my most anticipated game right no. All the impressions I've heard of the game are sounding great. I'll even give it a free pass on buying myself a PS3 way back when mainly for this game..

Eurogamer impressions are mixed... poor controls and camera they blame.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-the-last-guardian-the-first-40-minutes

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of mixed impressions going around. There's an interview going around saying the developers would have preferred more time, rather than releasing it in October. Sadly, methinks this game is going to be pretty ropey.

That was to be expected.

Still, I think controls and camera in SotC haven't been good either and it is one of the greates games in existence.

Nevertheless...I'm worried.

I don't think the camera and controls in Ico were that great and I've heard it's the same with Shadow of the Colossus, too. They're not terrible, but I guess they take some getting used to.

It seems to be that if you loved the previous two games, you'll love/enjoy this. I'm sure the game will be fine. I'm looking forward to it. I adored Ico, despite only playing it recently.

The unresponsive controls in SotC were enough for me to stop playing halfway through the game, having come from a diet of Uncharted games before trying the PS2 remaster. Team ICO make things difficult for themselves, some might say justifiably so because of the special nature of their character/world interaction, but I think the likelihood of The Last Guardian being a solid game that meets current gen standards after such a tortuous development schedule is very, very slim. Imagine the pressure they're working under.

Ico controls were adequate for its time. SotC has a floaty camera, but the controls themselves always felt relatively solid to me. Less unresponsive so much as every action has a windup time and will be followed through.

It's like playing Bayonetta and dodge offsetting combos all the time and then switching to Bloodborne and saying the dodge is unresponsive because you can't dodge roll out of a combo where you're swinging a large heavy weapon.

That's not to say TLG complaints are unfounded, I wouldn't know without playing it to form an opinion. I'd warrant a guess though that it's less unresponsive so much as making the choice to have each action be that way.

Climbing the colossi was terribly unresponsive and frustrating for me - movements and actions often had to be made with pinpoint precision otherwise they didn't register at all. Maybe the controls were acceptable back then, but they don't hold up well. You rarely hear of games having poor controls these days but if ICO's games are structured in a similar way to each other and the team still hasn't nailed down that aspect of their game design, who's to say there won't be problems with TLG? Like everyone else I want the game to be good, as much out of respect for the hardship suffered as anything else.

An Update on The Last Guardian

The Last Guardian development team is fast approaching major milestones in production and has made the tough decision to delay the release of The Last Guardian a few weeks. The Last Guardian will launch on December 6, 2016.

Fumito Ueda (gen Design) and Japan Studio have a wonderful vision for The Last Guardian’s touching, emotional journey of friendship and trust, and we want to deliver the most polished experience possible for our fans who have supported us for so long. A delay is a difficult decision, particularly with this game, but we have encountered more bugs than anticipated while in the final stages of development. To ensure that The Last Guardian delivers on the experience that the game’s creators have envisioned, we need to take the extra time to work on those issues.

Our development continues to push itself to the fullest and we look forward to revealing new content toward launch.

We appreciate your continued support.

Not surprised at all. At least it's still this year.

Will I have needed to play the previous games in the series? It is a series right? Looks intriguing but I know next to nothing about it - other than people were really excited about its reveal!

Will I have needed to play the previous games in the series? It is a series right? Looks intriguing but I know next to nothing about it - other than people were really excited about its reveal!

They are all stand-alone games, as far as I'm aware, so you should be fine! :)

I'm glad the games been delayed, for selfish reasons in that I won't have a PS4 until November but also because I want it to be the best it can be. As Huber would say, "let it cook".