NEurope
Retro_Link

The Last Guardian

^ Thought someone was about to finally join in on my lovefest but alas..

They must like it quite a bit..

Well, I will say this...

I got the game a day early on the Thursday and I did play a solid three hours on it before then playing other games and what I got to play of it I did enjoy... a lot! :D

Indeed today I watched the above video in full, the over three hours version as it was interesting seeing how the Easy Allies came to that conclusion about the game, I have to say I agree with them as well because the title really is an achievement in itself. :)

Is it bad that I've now watched more Easy Allies videos in the past week than I've played of the game? :hmm: I'm going to go with yes... at least a little bit, though in fairness I tend to watch them at times when I wouldn't be normally gaming on my PS4 and in fact today I was watching that video while piecing together reviews for the site so it wasn't all just time I could have been devoting to The Last Guardian; or at least that's how I'm going to rationalise it. :p

Hmm, perhaps I'll play another three hours tomorrow though, make it a weekly thing? We shall see... I fully intend to play through the game all the way to the end though. :smile:

Is it bad that I've now watched more Easy Allies videos in the past week than I've played of the game? :hmm:

Not at all.. I love those guys :love: I even hear my wife singing "Oh I just can't wait for the Switch!" at times :grin:

I've only watched about 45 minutes of that particular video so far but I intend to watch the rest over the next few days.

As for The Last Guardian, I'll have Uncharted 4, The Last of Us, Drive Club and FIFA 17 occupying my time as I introduce myself to PS4 from Christmas so I definitely won't be experiencing the game for a good while. Hopefully the price will be more inviting by the time I'm ready to jump in but there are plenty of other games I'd like to pick up in the mean time :smile:

After years of disinterest, it feels like such an awesome time to be diving into the PS4 library. I'm finally ready :cool:

I now own a PS4 and a copy of The Last Guardian!

I still can't believe that it's actually real. Like, I'm playing it and still thinking that I'm gonna wake up at any moment :laughing:

I just got up to the exact section from the E3 2015 demo (the part with the unstable bridge). Gotta say that it's pretty spectacular so far!

It's definately more Ico than SOTC (or to be more precise, it's Ico in reverse as this time, YOU are Yorda!).

It is pretty amazing how Trico looks and behaves as a real animal would. I've not really had much trouble encouraging him to do what I need him to do, but I did get stuck in a wall as a result of him falling asleep at the wrong time and had to reset to the last checkpoint as a result :laughing:

The level design and puzzle design is all very reminiscient of Ico, with a similar design philosophy in play (small rooms that are largely separate but sometimes interconnected as you push forward to an overarching goal). Likewise, the controls are almost exactly like Ico (the climbing parts are also simplified from SOTC, with your character now automatically keeping grip of Trico as needed). The puzzles aren't really too complex, don't go in expecting Zelda, but they do make you stop and think (pretty much exactly like Ico) and are pretty satisfying to figure out. Nothing feels scripted, you won't find any sticky "auto platforming" here, and player agency is here in spades (hallelujah!). It's a game, not a movie and it's clearly proud to be so!

I do have to say that the camera has been a bit of an issue all throughout. It does have an annoying tendency to get stuck; the environments are sometimes just too cramped and don't allow the camera the maneourvability it needs to give you a good view of what's going on. All too often, the camera tends to get caught on something and refuses to follow you as you run away into the distance.

It's clear that the majority of the game's development went into designing Trico's AI itself as it is enourmously impressive! It does kinda feel like they spent around 7 years making him and then spent about 2 years building a game around him though.

But yeah, it fits right in with Ico and SOTC as a to-be classic for sure. Feels like a long lost game from the 2000-2006 era (which it is of course) and I mean that in the best way possible. Even without Trico's amazing AI, it would be a very solid action adventure game that focuses on real platforming and puzzle solving; something that is truly incredibly rare in this day and age. I'm hugely enjoying it so far, but am saddened to think that we'll almost certainly never see anything like it again afterwards.

Edited by Dcubed

I now own a PS4 and a copy of The Last Guardian!
New account on PS4? Because you're showing up as "online over a month ago" on my list. :hmm:

Anyway, glad to hear you're enjoying it. :)

New account on PS4? Because you're showing up as "online over a month ago" on my list. :hmm:

Anyway, glad to hear you're enjoying it. :)

I usually use a different account that I haven't bothered to put on my PS4 yet. Probably will look to do so at some point later.

I usually use a different account that I haven't bothered to put on my PS4 yet. Probably will look to do so at some point later.
Ah ok. Mine is still RedShell-NE if you want to add me.

You all ready for Future Tone now! :hehe:

And it is complete!

What an amazing experience! Nearly a decade in the making and it did NOT disappoint! :yay:

Brilliant puzzle design and an incredible organic approach to level design that really feels like no other game I've ever played. Simply incredible!

Though I have to say, I'm surprised at the lack of twists with the story (perhaps that IS the twist!). Sure, you have the revelation about the barrels containing souls of those captured by the beasts and the reveal of whose shadow you see at the start of the game, but really that's it. There really isn't much in the way of story surprises, which is itself quite a surprise given ICO and SOTC's own twists.

I'm really glad that Ueda avoided the really obvious conclusion that everyone expected and ended up delivering a different kind of tragedy (separation, rather than death). Also glad to see that he left the ending somewhat open ended (though I reckon that it's pretty obviously Trico himself who appears in the post credits sequence - but then why would he return to the land that he wanted to escape?). Still, I would've liked to have seen some explanation for why the armoured soldiers attack Trico and the boy at least; their motivation is never really explored at all (In Ico, it made sense because Yorda was key to the upkeep of the castle, here in TLG, they want to capture the boy and kill Trico because... reasons?). I get that Ueda wants to leave some things to the imagination, but it's a touch disappointing that he gives no hint to their underlying motivation at all (I'm gonna guess that they were somehow aware that their escape would damage the ruins and the radio tower that controlled all of the beasts and that's their motivation).

That being said, the last moments were absolutely savage! Poor, poor Trico. Seeing him getting his tail pulled off was a hard watch :(

Despite an un-cooperative camera and a choppy framerate (at least on the original model PS4), it's a sublime experience all throughout. A real masterclass in how to make a lot with very little.

Stands right up with ICO and SOTC as a bonafide classic! One of the true greats and something that I still can't believe exists. It's an amazing and truly complete experience, the antithesis of everything this generation of games stands for and you owe it to yourself to experience it!

Edited by Dcubed

And it is complete!

What an amazing experience! Nearly a decade in the making and it did NOT disappoint! :yay:

Brilliant puzzle design and an incredible organic approach to level design that really feels like no other game I've ever played. Simply incredible!

Though I have to say, I'm surprised at the lack of twists with the story (perhaps that IS the twist!). Sure, you have the revelation about the barrels containing souls of those captured by the beasts and the reveal of whose shadow you see at the start of the game, but really that's it. There really isn't much in the way of story surprises, which is itself quite a surprise given ICO and SOTC's own twists.

I'm really glad that Ueda avoided the really obvious conclusion that everyone expected and ended up delivering a different kind of tragedy (separation, rather than death). Also glad to see that he left the ending somewhat open ended (though I reckon that it's pretty obviously Trico himself who appears in the post credits sequence - but then why would he return to the land that he wanted to escape?). Still, I would've liked to have seen some explanation for why the armoured soldiers attack Trico and the boy at least; their motivation is never really explored at all (In Ico, it made sense because Yorda was key to the upkeep of the castle, here in TLG, they want to capture the boy and kill Trico because... reasons?). I get that Ueda wants to leave some things to the imagination, but it's a touch disappointing that he gives no hint to their underlying motivation at all (I'm gonna guess that they were somehow aware that their escape would damage the ruins and the radio tower that controlled all of the beasts and that's their motivation).

That being said, the last moments were absolutely savage! Poor, poor Trico. Seeing him getting his tail pulled off was a hard watch :(

Despite an un-cooperative camera and a choppy framerate (at least on the original model PS4), it's a sublime experience all throughout. A real masterclass in how to make a lot with very little.

Stands right up with ICO and SOTC as a bonafide classic! One of the true greats and something that I still can't believe exists. It's an amazing and truly complete experience, the antithesis of everything this generation of games stands for and you owe it to yourself to experience it!

I finished the game last night - I loved it. Such a masterpiece! The design is great and the puzzles are imaginitive. They're not easy either - some of them left me scratching my head for some time. The art direction and the music is appropriate for the type of game it is.

I have not played Ico so this type of game is all new to me and it was a conplete emotional joy to play from start to finish.

Storywise, well little is shown or told but there is enough narrative for you to use the imagination. This is something that is quite rare to experience through a modern game. I found it refreshing.

Oh and what is contained in Dcubed's spoiler post I completely agree with.

The star of the game is certainly Trico. He is an adorable character that I ended up caring about and wanted him to succeed. The AI of his character is amazing and it can be seen a lot of work was put into creating him.

However, there are negatives - camera and controls. These negatives led me to some unnecessary deaths and frustrations. Nevertheless, despite these minor complaints the game is up there with one of the best. Everyone who has a PS4 should experience this game.

It is games such as these (Witcher 3 is another) that I think to myself how fortunate I am to be in a position of owning more than one console and decided to drop being a Nintendo only gamer.

Edited by Blade

I'm looking forward to giving this a crack when we officially move into our new house. I think it'd be a bit daft to start it right now as we've got far too much on, despite really wanting to play it.

I'm just glad that it's here and that it doesn't suck. To hear it's actually any good is surreal. I guess good things do come to those who wait.

So to those who've played it, do the camera and controls not detract too much from the experience?

I was hyped for this game but hearing how they were put me off!

So to those who've played it, do the camera and controls not detract too much from the experience?

I was hyped for this game but hearing how they were put me off!

Nope, not at all.

It can be frustrating and annoying at times but thats about it.

This game is a must have!

I got this game as a Christmas present and only just got the time to play through it. I never played ICO or SotC, though did watch Jim play through ICO; in a way, this seems quite similar to that game really.

I really liked Trico and you can tell they spent a lot of time and resources trying to get his AI up to scratch. Really don't think this could've been done years ago, as it is quite clever the way he reacts/does his own thing/responds to your commands. I enjoyed just watching Trico from time to time, see what he would do. Sometimes he would have figured out the way forward before I had spotted it, which was useful. :P

The game can be quite difficult though, as it is not always clear what you need to do (and I have to admit that I had to use a guide a few times, or had to restart from a certain checkpoint as Trico didn't do what he was supposed to do). The controls and camera can be very frustrating too and have lead to quite a few deaths. There was one particular moment (platform jumping around a tower) where I almost threw my controller at the screen as I kept dying because the camera kept spinning the wrong way. Fun times. :P

Even though the controls can be frustrating, it was still a fun game to play through and I really liked the relationship you build up with Trico. Very touching. :)

Ending spoilers below and reply to @Dcubed's post:

I don't think the barrels you feed to Trico contain the souls of the children. I think the children are actually used to power the Master of the Valley/the machines in the entire place. Remember how at the start of the game there is that cold room (where you find the mirror) and there seems to be a sarcophagus? I imagine the power is used to somehow keep something in there alive or powered up. So the children are turned into a power source, and the barrels are just a treat the creatures get for delivering that energy.

The creatures in the game are being mind controlled by the Master of the Valley through the headgear they wear and are being forced to find children to turn into energy. The mind controlling stops/is less effective once the headgear is gone, which explains why Trico is no longer attacking you (apart from those few times in the cages). It is also explained when that enemy Trico that keeps attacking you, loses half of its headgear; after that it no longer attacks you and at the end you can see it escaping while all the other creatures fall/die.

The children being an energy source would also explain why the armoured soldiers attack you and Trico, as you are both a threat to the Master of the Valley. The boy is supposed to be used as an energy source, and Trico is supposed to be collecting more children and protecting the tower, not attacking it.

And the reason why Trico seems to have gone back to the Valley in the ending, is to be with that other Trico that escaped (notice how at the very end, you can see a second pair of eyes in the dark, next to Trico). So it kind of shows that he's found a mate and isn't all alone. :)

At least that's what I made of the game/story. Hope that makes sense! :)

Just started playing this and I'm really starting to understand the complaints.

The camera is awful, especially in tighter areas. There have been quite a few times where I've wanted to look at something, only to have the camera switch back to looking in front. Plus there's something very odd about the way the camera moves. I can't quite explain it, but it's almost like it's not "attached" to your character properly. Very odd.

The controls aren't too bad, but they can be fussy. I notice it most when trying to climb Trico or get through a tight section. From what I remember, they're similar to SOTC, but the difference here is that the levels are much tighter than SOTC's wide open areas, so they don't work as well.

Whilst the level design is very nice and has some clever bits, it can be almost impossible to tell where to go next. I don't mind the game not holding my hand with obvious hints, but when so much of the progression hangs on Trico and his fickleness, it can be very frustrating not knowing where to go.

I spent ages looking around for a way to turn off the power to it, only for Trico to come down after a while anyway. I actually looked up a guide afterwards to see what I was actually supposed to do there. I wouldn't mind, but the narrator said to look for something to help Trico, even when I used the sitting hints thing, so that's what I was trying to do.

That said, the game is still great. The setting is as beautiful as SOTC and Ico and I definitely have a growing fondness for Trico. It's just a shame that the great aspects of the game make the awful bits that much more frustrating.

@Goafer, the one issue that kept pissing @Eenuh off seemed to be the camera. (also, controls)

I'm looking forward to playing the game for myself. I just hope that I can see past its flaws. I adore Ico and I'll eventually get around to play Shadow.

The camera is indeed abysmal. I'd say it was easily the worst of this generation (and maybe previous too). Most 3rd person cameras seem to zoom in when in tight spaces, but LGs seems to just reset to wherever there is space. It literally fades to black and the camera "respawns" into space.

To see what I mean, try standing close to a wall and try to get the camera between the character and the wall. It's impossible. Not great when some parts of the level can be quite claustrophobic.

The controls aren't too bad. They're not great, but manageable. They just add more frustration to the already infuriating camera.

I wonder if it's fixable in a future update? It's a shame that it's that bad and it seems to be the only real blemish in almost every preview/review/impression that I've read.

The camera is indeed abysmal. I'd say it was easily the worst of this generation (and maybe previous too). Most 3rd person cameras seem to zoom in when in tight spaces, but LGs seems to just reset to wherever there is space. It literally fades to black and the camera "respawns" into space.

To see what I mean, try standing close to a wall and try to get the camera between the character and the wall. It's impossible. Not great when some parts of the level can be quite claustrophobic.

The controls aren't too bad. They're not great, but manageable. They just add more frustration to the already infuriating camera.

Yeah the camera could be a pain in certain areas, when you're trying to figure out where to go next. Quite often I would just rely on Trico to figure out where to go next, as he would often find the next passageway before me. :P

As for the controls, I seemed to have a lot of trouble letting go of Trico... Maybe I just didn't know how to do it properly, but my character would always keep hanging onto him, even though I wanted to jump down. Would get quite annoying, especially when you want to get off quickly during a battle or something.

It's a shame, because the game is lovely, but the camera and controls do let it down a bit at times.

I found it best to hold X when I wanted to get off Trico. Or just jumping from his head or back. I did struggle to begin with though.

I loved this game.

To be honest, although the controls and camera can be annoying, it did not affect my enjoyment of the game.

What's been said about the camera and controls is why I'm yet to pick this up. Plus a back-log of course, haha.

Ending spoilers below and reply to @Dcubed's post:

I don't think the barrels you feed to Trico contain the souls of the children. I think the children are actually used to power the Master of the Valley/the machines in the entire place. Remember how at the start of the game there is that cold room (where you find the mirror) and there seems to be a sarcophagus? I imagine the power is used to somehow keep something in there alive or powered up. So the children are turned into a power source, and the barrels are just a treat the creatures get for delivering that energy.

The creatures in the game are being mind controlled by the Master of the Valley through the headgear they wear and are being forced to find children to turn into energy. The mind controlling stops/is less effective once the headgear is gone, which explains why Trico is no longer attacking you (apart from those few times in the cages). It is also explained when that enemy Trico that keeps attacking you, loses half of its headgear; after that it no longer attacks you and at the end you can see it escaping while all the other creatures fall/die.

The children being an energy source would also explain why the armoured soldiers attack you and Trico, as you are both a threat to the Master of the Valley. The boy is supposed to be used as an energy source, and Trico is supposed to be collecting more children and protecting the tower, not attacking it.

And the reason why Trico seems to have gone back to the Valley in the ending, is to be with that other Trico that escaped (notice how at the very end, you can see a second pair of eyes in the dark, next to Trico). So it kind of shows that he's found a mate and isn't all alone. :)

At least that's what I made of the game/story. Hope that makes sense! :)

Pretty much what I got from the ending. Seemed surprisingly non-obtuse for Ueda game..

Presumably the other set of eyes either a mate as you say (possibly the one you meet a few times throughout the game), or, as it stands a little lower, a little bambina!

Also liked that the game opened and closed on the same image, which was also the same one as the first released screnshot of the game, 8 years ago or whatever

187ig2bymxaaujpg.jpg

Anyway - I loved it from start to finish.

For me, the level design and art director was top tier. Some of the set pieces, Unchartered-esque but in these enormous, sparse, beautifully designed ruinous settings were fantastic, particularly the further you progress and the higher you climb.

The game's occasionally frustrating but to pass it up because of an sometimes irritating camera would be deeply foolish. Definitely have to be in the mood to play it; the only time my temper flared was when I was trying to rush through sections.. not really what the game's about.

I find all the crap about framerate issues etc totally trivial (couldn't care less in a game like this) - I think the game's flaw is actually more in the lack of well-designed puzzles. I didn't get stuck on anything for more than a couple of minutes, and too much of the game just involves climbing up trico, jumping to a ledge, going though to the next area and flipping a switch for Trico to follow.

Nonetheless, I found the whole journey to be fantastic. The sense of progression is amazing, that draw distance where you frequently look down below to the massive valley and have an ariel view of the area you were in a few hours ago is great. Never have I played a game with such a sense of vertiginous scale.

And Trico himself is such a joy to go through the game with. I actually loved the bits where you can't work out where to go next, you jump on Trico, and he just like jumps super high and crashes through a wall - It feels like a co-op game sometimes, almost like Journey where you're going through a game with someone you can only half-communicate with. Alot of the designers must be cat-owners because that thing is such an overgrown housecat!

Overall; loved it; totally unique, weird and beautiful, and a lot of fun! Hope Ueda gets another gig with Team Ico gone.

I started playing this today and haven't been able to put it down. Must have played for 6 or 7 hours. It's just fantastic. Trico is one of the greatest video game companions of all time!

I'm just shocked that the game has spent this long in the oven and isn't completely crap! It's actually good! Haha.

I started playing this today and haven't been able to put it down. Must have played for 6 or 7 hours. It's just fantastic. Trico is one of the greatest video game companions of all time!

I'm just shocked that the game has spent this long in the oven and isn't completely crap! It's actually good! Haha.

Haha I was shocked too!

I agree, Trico is absolutely adorable and I loved the game. It shows that you do not need an indepth narrative to have a good game.

Haha I was shocked too!

I agree, Trico is absolutely adorable and I loved the game. It shows that you do not need an indepth narrative to have a good game.

I've found myself thinking about this game a fair bit at work today. I love Trico. I want one.

I've just finished the game and posted my thoughts in the game diary thread. @Eenuh's explanation of the ending is really awesome and has touched on a few things that I missed from the game.

I loved it. Such a beautiful game and I want my very own Trico! I really, reeeeeeally hope we get another game from this team and Ueda. It's simplistic in lots of ways; there is very little to collect and you're not given tons of story or things to read. But, that's part of the charm of the game. The focus is purely on navigating around these elaborate-yet-simple environments and the relationship between Trico and the narrator. I'm happy that I got to experience this game.