Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Playstation Move

dwarf

There was a demo in this in Gamestation today (oddly, it wasn't in the much bigger GAME right next door), so I decided to give it a try. Like the Wii Remote, you don't notice it at all when you're holding/playing it.

I only got to try out one round of PS3 Sports Tennis. The pointer was very sluggish on the menu and there seemed to be less control than Wii Sports Tennis - it didn't seem to detect power or anything (except trying to do a lob shot made the ball spin oddly upwards). Winning seemed to be a case of the other player's controller not picking up the swing. The person there said that there were "battery issues" so I apparently didn't get a proper experience.

Every time you swung the ball you got a message popping up on the screen saying that the camera can not see the Move's ball (or something like that). Which seems odd as the game doesn't even use the shiny ball, except for the menus.

Edit: I've just realised that it was also the first time that I've used a PS3

Was it Racquet Sports the shitty one by Ubisoft? If so that's a Wii game! Sports Champions only has table tennis...

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What tennis game was that?

I played Tumble and they should really give it away with the Move. Shows of how accurate it is, plus all the 3D space shizzle. It's fun, it's exactly like playing Jenga. A perfect demonstration. It's kind of surreal.

The Sports Champion had a bit of a weird menu. Calibration was well dodgy the first time but was better the second after I restarted. It seems some games do it spot on and others are a bit wank. It's all teething problems.

Also, I kept losing Table Tennis because I was playing it like Wii Tennis. Takes a bit to get used to but it's quite satisfying when you nail it.

The good news is the tech works spot on. And Beat Sketcher is amazing.

Was it Racquet Sports the shitty one by Ubisoft? If so that's a Wii game! Sports Champions only has table tennis...

The only guy there mentioned the name Sports Champions, but I think he was completely wrong as I'm sure I saw badminton in the menu, too.

Edit: So basically, what will likely be my only experience of Move was played with a dodgy controller with a low battery and a terrible choice of game.

And that was all the Move games I played. I was not very impressed. Although I know the technology is good. I haven't seen it perform well.

Maybe I need to get used to it, maybe it was badly calibrated. Either way, I did not leave the event feeling like running out to get one.

They also had other things there too. Like a pre-alpha code demo of Killzone 3 and a demo of GT5. The GT5 demo didn't show any weather effects.

There was also a 3D demo of Motorstorm. The 3D effect worked great, and really added to the experience. The graphical capabilities though took a huge hit. Trees looked terrible. Textures looked terrible. But it was good fun anyway. At one point HeroicJanitor rammed his car into a motorbike and the shrapnel of the bike flew at the screen, it was very cool.

He went with me too, so he can give you his own feedback. He seemed to enjoy the event a lot. Mostly because of KZ3, the 3D and GT5.

Also they gave out free beer, which by itself made the event worthwhile.

When I was there the first game I played was "Start the Party" I think, it's a compilation of mini games in the same vein as wii play, or that eyetoy game on ps2 where you had to clean the screen or something. Therefore it is not good.

Then I played Tiger Woods. You have to actually swing hard to hit it far it seems, when I took my first swing I could hear it land... So I rolled up the sleeves for the next one and took a big swipe, but the game discovered I'm not very good at golf and it veered far to the left but I got distance. The major problem was the putting, since you have to look at the screen when doing it. Anyone who played golf before knows you need to keep your eye on the ball :(

Some other move games there but then I noticed Gran Turismo and Killzone and Motorstorm 3D :santa: The Gran Turismo demo even had car damage, which looked much better than on a website I saw where it looked like the car melted. Motorstorm in 3D was cool and as Diageo said when i crashed into a bike some shrapnel flew at me and I actually ducked :red: Killzone 3 is clearly not finished(pre-alpha code it said up the top at all times) but the ocean water looked good and all of the gameplay mechanics seem to be working now. Killzone 2 looks better right now.

Just realised this is meant to be a move review, so I'll say that move is VERY accurate but the games just aren't there yet. Most of the games were terrible except Socom 4 which aimed well enough and will be good if you give it a chance, and Heavy Rain where we had to leave before I got into the fight(I would've had my head kicked in btw, wasn't sure how to control him).

Edited by heroicjanitor
Saw some spelling errors

I played with the Playstation Move for the first time this morning and my first impressions are.. not great :hmm:

Sports Champions was the game of choice and I selected 3 games that I could compare to Nintendo's Wii Sports Resort, namely Disc Golf, Table Tennis and Archery!

For a start, I don't find the controller as comfortable as the Wii Remote.. but anyway, each of those games felt significantly inferior to those in Wii Sports Resort and less intuitive. In Table Tennis, I always felt like I was making contact with the ball in Wii Sports Resort even though you obviously only swing through the air but in Sports Champions I didn't really feel any satisfaction when hitting the ball. There is also a complete lack of charm :hmm:

I'm sure it wasn't the best game to try out the new controller, and I'm not questioning the accuracy of it in any way as I'm sure the technology involved is probably superior to the Wii Remote with Wii Motion Plus, but from my experience so far I'm not impressed at all..

Edited by nekunando

I find it way way more comfortable than the Wiimote. Not sure how you couldn't since it's cylindrical. Sports Champion is a void of charm but then I find Miis and Avatars stupid and bland (Another reason why Rockstar Table Tennis needs to be ported, because it has real world players in it). The Table Tennis is weird, it's really quite different to play. I was being a bit stupid, took me a couple matches to realise that the game indicated when to swing and what position the ball would be in when you hit it. Once that was notched it was quite cool, like how you could move forward and attack the ball (I didn't really have a chance to defend). The only issue was softer shots, like back spin. Seemed to curl way too easily.

Disc Gold is crap. Partly because I hate golf and partly because I can't be arsed to relearn how to throw a frisbee.

Just tried The Shoot. It's good if you are like under 10, otherwise BLAAAAH!

The Echochrome demo is way too short. Just the tutorials. It's a bit boring.

I still think Tumble is a lot of fun. IGN seem to hate it so maybe I haven't played it enough.

I find it way way more comfortable than the Wiimote. Not sure how you couldn't since it's cylindrical..

Nintendo controllers always seem to fit my hands much better than anything else.. and just because the Playstation Move controller is cylindrical doesn't matter :heh:

I don't like the buttons on it either..

Nintendo controllers always seem to fit my hands much better than anything else.. and just because the Playstation Move controller is cylindrical doesn't matter :heh:

I don't like the buttons on it either..

Well the move is cylindrical like a tennis racket/table tennis racket/penis/sword hilt/railings; there's a reason the shape is used so often, it's to do with comfort. But if you don't like, you don't like.

The trigger is still too soft for my liking. I have a big thumb which means I can reach all five face buttons easily. The Start and Select are in just bizarre places. I would have put it on the lip near the glow ball.

Well the move is cylindrical like a tennis racket/table tennis racket/penis/sword hilt/railings; there's a reason the shape is used so often, it's to do with comfort. But if you don't like, you don't like.

It's not that I don't like it because it's cylindrical.. I just find the Wii Remote much nicer to hold and operate :smile:

I'm also pretty sure I've never seen a cylindrical tennis or table tennis racket, though :indeed: ..and my penis is square..

This is true. I was going to say cricket bat but I hate that "sport" and as I said golf is dumb, too.

I guess it's and individual thing. I've haven't found a controller uncomfortable since my NES. I have big hands, which might be why. The big thing I hate about the WiiMote is the a and b buttons.

It's not that I don't like it because it's cylindrical.. I just find the Wii Remote much nicer to hold and operate :smile:

I'm also pretty sure I've never seen a cylindrical tennis or table tennis racket, though :indeed: ..and my penis is square..

It's odd that you prefer the wii remote because it is that a remote. Angular, square etc... I think the move controller is far more akin to an actual modern day game controller.

Just go by the reviews on the store. Tumble seems the best. That chair game is the worst.

Resident Evil is sold out in my area and online. :(

MAG beta has had another patch update so i need to check that out again

It's wierd that the chair game does seem to be shit yet when move was first unveiled everyone was saying how much fun it was.

This is true. I was going to say cricket bat but I hate that "sport" and as I said golf is dumb, too.

I guess it's and individual thing. I've haven't found a controller uncomfortable since my NES. I have big hands, which might be why. The big thing I hate about the WiiMote is the a and b buttons.

I have small, girly hands.. so I guess I fit perfectly into Nintendo's demographic :indeed:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!