NEurope

Ok we still don't know what it looks like but I think after the demoing I think it is clear that it will be brilliant for games - the ease of use and pinpoint precision is simply astounding.

Launching next year in Spring IIRC, don't know how this will work in conjunction with standard Dual Shock/Sixaxis, but I'm not sure it's necessarily a replacement. If they give it an analogue or nunchuk like thing though it will be amazing for games.

right just seen video from the conference of this, Nintendo and Microsoft are likely shaking now, even I'll admit to liking that.

The Natel seems to be MS trying to jump too far too soon, and the complete lose of the controller seemed a little odd as surely you would still need buttons for many things.

And as much as I love my Wii the wiimote does of course have it's limitations, that said I've not tried the MotionPlus so hard to say how much that improves things

But this thing by Sony seems to be the best of both worlds.

The only advantage that Nintendo would have is that their motion controller is the standard input device, and everyone who has a Wii will have one (if not more), where as this one and Natel are secondary controllers so they will really be made or broken by how much support they can get from 3rd parties to make games to convince people to buy.

Nintendo have this same issue with the motionplus but it at least won't cost as much as Natel for sure, and likely Sonys "wand" will cost a bit also, considering you'll need a PSEye also, whereas with the Wii people will already have a Wiimote.

That said after this E3 Nintendo should put some serious thought into the Wii's successor, cuz I can see both MS and Sony throwing tones of cash at 3rd parties to get them to support their new devices with games which if they manage to do (and do well) could become highly problematic for Nintendo

Yeah Sony seem to have caught up to Motion+ extremely quickly!!

Nintendo really need to go and evaluate now!

Nintendo have this same issue with the motionplus but it at least won't cost as much as Natel for sure, and likely Sonys "wand" will cost a bit also, considering you'll need a PSEye also, whereas with the Wii people will already have a Wiimote.

I think they could get to be relatively cheap. You can pick up a PSEye for £18. Package that with two glow stick things and maybe a WiiSports type game and it could be pretty cheap. Getting it into people's homes is a different matter though. :heh:

At the moment I'm seeing a bit too many issues with the Natal, I posted in the Natal thread.

Strange thing is about Sony's thing is that they've somehow got me excited about motion controls again. Last time that happened was when the Wii was first demoed, but this looks just more responsive and flexible. As soon as I saw the sword and shield demo I thought Zelda (I wouldn't be surprised if that was their intention).

Finally someone made a thread about it.

Any link to the demo? I only got it at the end.

About Nintendo, both this and Microsoft's effort come too late to matter, and I'm sure that new building Nintendo bought for R&D is already working on something for the next console.

This was surprisingly not crap. When it was first being brought out on stage I was gritting my teeth slightly expecting a horrible Wiimote knock off, but they really turned things around due to demoing everything live on stage; there was no deceptive Red Steel-style trailer or Molyneux snake oil, they just showed that the thing worked and suggested how it could be used in games.

I think Natal is a great piece of technology, but for actually playing games Sony's tech seems more appealing. Feature wise it's basically a Wiimote with Motion+, albeit more advanced as it actually knows your position in 3D space, and in a way the possibilities of such a device are what got me excited about the Wii in the first place; it was kind of implied the Wiimote would work this well from the off. On top of that we're now dealing with a much more powerful machine, which opens the door to even crazier physics and the like.

This isn't a "Wii killer" by any stretch of the imagination, of course. The Wii isn't a success just because of the Remote, and likewise people aren't going to rush out to buy this just because it exists. However, as a gamer I'm much more interested in this than I thought I would have been.

Shino:

Yeah Nintendo are on the market. Sony also have the disadvantage of a higher priced system.

I am impressed Sony did a great job. At first i was like 'oh no' and it quickly changed lol. The precision is amazing and straight you could see real world game applications unlike Natal.

Sony did a good job of showcasing this piece of kit, imo. It's not as gobsmacking or revolutionary as Natal, but kicks the Wii Motion+'s ass big time.

Shame for Sony this is being shown 2 years too late to have a chance to cut into Wii's market but it does look surprisingly competent, sadly almost dehyping me for Motionplus.

Ahhh another piece of highly impressive tech that will still leave me wanting a DualShock3 in my hands.

Hats off to MS, Sony and Nintendo for trying to innovate though

Looks promising, but it needs a control stick somewhere. Otherwise it's might turn out to be too gimmicky, like Project Natal. Technically impressive, but limited in it's functionality. Those demo's are impressive, and useable in games, but like on Wii, most games need a control-stick.

Both MS and Sony start at a disadvantage, though. They are add-ons, whereas it's standard fare for Wii. Well, bar MotionPlus, ofcourse.

Still, between Natal and this, I prefer this one. It's treads a good middle ground.

Sony did a good job of showcasing this piece of kit, imo. It's not as gobsmacking or revolutionary as Natal, but kicks the Wii Motion+'s ass big time.

Hardly...Motion Plus can do this just as easily

Wow.

This is the most shameless clone of all time. It's a black Wiimote with a lightbulb on top!

Of course, it did seem to be very accurate, but I think the Wiimote will be as well with the WM+.

The problem with this is that you're going to have to constantly be in view of the PSEye for it to work

The problem with this is that you're going to have to constantly be in view of the PSEye for it to work

The same limitation of being in the range of the Wii sensor bar.

it reminds me too much of the wiimote...but the guy is holding two of them :/

The same limitation of being in the range of the Wii sensor bar.

Ah, but thats only for the IR features not for the 1:1 on Wii Motion Plus. While this one has motion sensing technology in it, they said in the conference that it has to be seen.

Seems pretty good but as most people have stated, everyone who has a Wii has a Wiiremote and no one who has a PS3 has one of these.

Do the other 2 systems creators not get that the way that the Wii is accessible to more casual customers is not totally to do with the remote?

Wow.

This is the most shameless clone of all time. It's a black Wiimote with a lightbulb on top!

So?

I don't get why people are annoyed that companies copy each other. It's good business sense to use tactics from market leaders. And in the end, it's great for the customers.

Anyway, I'm happy. The bow and arrow demo was awesome. It's amazing that Sony made me more excited for their motion controls with a tech demo than Nintendo can with a full game using MotionPlus.

The Bow and Arrow Demo was pretty much exactly the same as how it was done 2 hours before in the Wii Sports Resort demo though...apart from the Sony one made the bow horizontal

Edited by Serebii

The thing what people are forgetting is that you have what is similar to WiiMotionPlus but with the power of the PS3 behind you (or 360 for that matter). It is possible to have ridiculously accurate gameplay. For example did you see the demo where he was using the sword and shield and he used the sword to lift up the enemies head from the chin, then slashed him to the ground? Things that accurate couldn't really be done on the Wii. Same for the physics when the enemies got a arrow to there leg and fell over.

The thing what people are forgetting is that you have what is similar to WiiMotionPlus but with the power of the PS3 behind you (or 360 for that matter). It is possible to have ridiculously accurate gameplay. For example did you see the demo where he was using the sword and shield and he used the sword to lift up the enemies head from the chin, then slashed him to the ground? Things that accurate couldn't really be done on the Wii. Same for the physics when the enemies got a arrow to there leg and fell over.

True but what publisher is going to invest a half decent amount of money on developing a game for a platform that has practically no user base?

You're also forgetting that unless they are doing 1 to 1 then they will have to entirely program their own gesture systems. And considering past history you can bet that Sony is going to give Devs fuck all help.

Sure it might sell a bit but I see nothing in that controller that is going to make it or games sell very well without some seriously smart business decision.

I don't think they would go to all this trouble knowing that no games will use it, there not stupid.

Anyways we should just wait and see what happens.

i started off thinking "oh dear" but by the end, it was actualy the best tech demo of the show. the painting bit with the "you can also just mess around" and then flicking paint seemed like a poke at the natal video.

the sword and sheild and the bow bits worked well, give the controles a analouge stick and it may actualy be a viable way to interact with games.

I think they have, didn't the guy say something like "I'm control how much paint comes out with the analogue stick"?