N-Europe

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Shorty

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GET TO PLAYIN' IT REDSHELL!!!! RIGHT NOW!!!
Well, I'm around 10 hours in at the moment, Just got to the part with the Boo blocks.

Have enjoyed every minute of the game so far, 'tis most amusing and the gameplay is great. I love the dynamic battle system, so much fun and they've got some brilliant moves in this one. :grin:

The only thing I don't like is the way you play the giant Bowser battles, when you have to hold the DS in book form. The fact that it can only be played the left handed way is pretty annoying as the top screen gets in the way/obscured by your hand, why is there no option to change it? ::shrug:

Anyway, it's only a minor complaint as it doesn't seem to be a huge part of the game.

Wish I'd bought this instead of Scribblenauts tbh... :hmm:
Having now played both I'd say you're probably right to wish that. Scribblenauts is rad though and a really neat idea, but M&L is just so polished in every single department that it's definitely the more essential purchase of the two.

But yeah, anyone that didn't pick this up yet has got a fantastic game to look forward to. An awesome title to have on your "to buy list" that's for sure. ;)

The problem I have is that it's still a tad too linear for me and hasn't got notable plottwists or side-adventures. Not even different things happening to the same area or something like that. It's not better than SS in my opinion, but I've yet to complete it. I'm hoping I'll need to collect more after the 3 star cures, if that isn't the case.....that makes me a sad panda:cry:

Still, an (F)awful lot better than Partners in Time:D

But it's nowhere near the diversity of SS, which can be thanked by an entirely new kingdom in that game: BEAN BEAN KINGDOM

Finished the game after 50 hours. Story was about 20 hours for me, the other 30 was from exploring, levelling, and the Broque/Cholesteroad/Gauntlet challenges.

Best game in the series and one of the best games on DS.

I'm around 10 hours into this now, and thoroughly enjoying it. Just exploring Blubble Lake at the moment - home to one of the best original pieces of Nintendo music I've heard in a long time, and my top pick to be remixed for the next Smash Bros game! The only (slight) disappointments for me at the moment are that it doesn't seem to be as funny as the others in the series (I guess the humour just isn't as fresh as it was in Superstar Saga), and there don't seem to be as many Nintendo references as in the other games yet - just generic toads, koopas, goombas and shy guys. Still a top class game though. :D

Finished the storyline:D

The final battle was pretty awesome, but nothing beats that epic song from the final battle in PiT.

A beautiful game, I'm already fantasising severly about the next installment of the series and of cours: PAPER MARIO (This time as a proper rpg, no jumping up and down the place...)

That Fawful is gone for good:cry:

:cry::cry:

• 2 weeks later...

Just beat the final boss today - what an awesome game. The graphics, the animation, the music, the battles (including the ace giant Bowser ones).. I loved every minute of it. Like I said earlier, I still don't think it was as funny as Superstar Saga, and the less than huge amount of Mushroom Kingdom cameos (will we ever see Wario in a Mario RPG?) was a shame, but that's certainly not enough to stop this being my favourite DS game since Pokémon Diamond.

Just beat the final boss today - what an awesome game. The graphics, the animation, the music, the battles (including the ace giant Bowser ones).. I loved every minute of it. Like I said earlier, I still don't think it was as funny as Superstar Saga, and the less than huge amount of Mushroom Kingdom cameos (will we ever see Wario in a Mario RPG?) was a shame, but that's certainly not enough to stop this being my favourite DS game since Pokémon Diamond.
Yeah I completed it a few days ago too, 25 hours on the clock. Good stuff. icon14.gif Final boss was well easy though, beat it on the first go!

I remember going nuts at the end of the last M&L game, (or was it the GBA one? Not too sure :blank:) having to restart over and over again. :heh:

Have still been playing this occasionally to level up Mario & Luigi...

...to Rainbow Rank, which I managed last night. Seems kind of pointless though giving you that badge once the game is beaten.

::shrug:

I hear Bowser also has another rank, anyone know what level you reach it at? Think I'm on 30 at the moment. :hmm:

Yeah I completed it a few days ago too, 25 hours on the clock. Good stuff. icon14.gif Final boss was well easy though, beat it on the first go!

I remember going nuts at the end of the last M&L game, (or was it the GBA one? Not too sure :blank:) having to restart over and over again. :heh:

Have still been playing this occasionally to level up Mario & Luigi...

...to Rainbow Rank, which I managed last night. Seems kind of pointless though giving you that badge once the game is beaten.

::shrug:

I hear Bowser also has another rank, anyone know what level you reach it at? Think I'm on 30 at the moment. :hmm:

The badge is more useful if you get it before you complete the game and for the Gauntlet challenges, or when your leveling up since you can get x 1.5 exp with it.

Bowser gets his secret rank at level 40. It's a pain levelling Bowser up.

I traded in Sherlock Holmes today for a measly fiver- got it with my DSi in one of those Game bundles, played it for 5 mins and really wasn't feeling it...

As you're probably guessing, I used that (laughable) fiver against Bowser's Inside Story! :grin: I won't be cracking into it this weekend as I'm enjoying a wee bit of downtime from RPGs at the minute. There's one other thing holding me back too: I've never played Partners in Time. :o Would it be worth my while playing it first...?

Guest Captain Falcon
I traded in Sherlock Holmes today for a measly fiver- got it with my DSi in one of those Game bundles, played it for 5 mins and really wasn't feeling it...

As you're probably guessing, I used that (laughable) fiver against Bowser's Inside Story! :grin: I won't be cracking into it this weekend as I'm enjoying a wee bit of downtime from RPGs at the minute. There's one other thing holding me back too: I've never played Partners in Time. :o Would it be worth my while playing it first...?

I've got Superstar Saga but never touched PiT. And so, whilst I suspect there are more references to it than the really obvious one, there certainly weren't any moments where I thought "what was that about?"

From what I remembered, the game seemed a fair bit lighter on references to previous Mario games than I originally expected, instead, choosing to cement it's own status as a gaming series.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished this today. Not played it since Christmas Eve where I was stuck against Midbus when he was surrounded by those tiny Snowmen, but managed to beat him yesterday after uprgrading my shell, and continuted on to the final battle which I reached this afternoon.

The last 3 or 4 battles were epic. Good fights, animations and music. Really enjoyed battling agaisnt Dark Bowser, especially when you had to 'platform' against that horde of bullet bills, goomba etc but it did take me 3 or 4 attempts to beat him, mainly due to Mario and Luigi letting me down!

Would of liked a longer end cut-scene, but I hope Bowser enjoyed his cake :smile:

Overall a great game, but the first half wasn't as good as the second in my opinion, and there was far less exploring to do and humour that appealed to me compared to previous Mario RPG's. Thoroughly enjoyed all the battles though, and the mini-games were addictive and competitive. Hope we get a 'true' Paper Mario on the Wii next!

Oh yeah, I kept thinking Fawful was our very own fusked_king everytime he popped up :heh: I have chortles!! : peace:

I finished this last night after about 25 hours and I have to say...great game, couldn't fault it at all. Not that I look for faults, but often they stick out. I really did enjoy this much more than Superstar Saga.

The graphics were big, clear and colourful. As for playing as Bowser, well, he was a revelation, surely the best villain ever. The script was charming, especially the way he spoke to "Chippy". Something about that tickled me greatly.

Also, I found the relationship between Bowser and his minions greatly touching. I often felt sorry for him as he was having the ultimate "Bad Hair Day", and I felt very aggressive towards the enemies who would dare encroach on his territory and minions.

The final image on the end credits was also lovely. The two words that keep coming back to me about this game are "charming" and "touching".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, so I finally beat this game, and it's awesome. Bowser is the best RPG protagonist ever! :grin:

It's still not quite as good as Superstar Saga, but it's very close. When I saw the first couple of Bro moves, I thought Mario and Luigi were definitely out of ideas... but then, every single other move is new (Fat Luigi FTW)!

I just wish we could replay some of the minigames, or the Giant Battles, but it's no biggie, there's still plenty to do after beating the game (unlike PiT).

In short: Bowser needs his own game. With minions, of course. Fat Luigi needs to reappear, too.

• 1 month later...

Got this for £19.99 from Shopto.net, and it's excellent. :D Why can't all RPGs be like this?!

Also, Fawful's speech patterns and random utterances remind me of Coolness Bears.

"You inhaled like a hungry syrup pig at the free pancake buffet."

"Beef? I am lacking in beef. Fawful is beefless."

I did read that you really need to have played the first two games to appreciate and understand the [returning] characters/story in this. Is that the case?

If so, I guess I'll just have to wait for Paper Mario 3DS, which hopefully isn't connected to the other Paper Mario games!