NEurope
Shorty

Alan Wake (360)

New Gameplay Videos!!

Personally I'm just watching the Police escape gameplay, as I want to remain pretty spoiler free!

Looks INCREDIBLE!!

Opening Gameplay: Parts I, II, III & IV

Police Escape Gameplay: Parts I & II

Watched parts of the first espace video. I hope it will be possible to crouch walk...I find it weird to walk upright while doing stealthy things...

Other than that: AMAZING. Looks like it will be a cool game :p

Probably won't watch anything at all from now on. Don't want to spoil anything for me.

I've kinda lost interest in Alan Wake now, it's been too long coming. No doubt that'll change closer to release though. Any firm date yet?

I basically have a low level interest where, without actively seeking it out, I can very much see myself getting the game eventually.

It's been too long and too vague in coming though. Actually paying attention to any hype before the Edge review is a waste of time at this point.

I've had it on pre-order since 20th November 2008 (longest pre-order ever?)

So hype doesn't interest me, I know I want it, so I'll just be surprised when it one day drops onto my mat

Sigh this has been coming out forever, and I've wanted it forever. Would have been nice if they kept the pc version in production. But maybe because of that original plan its taken so long. One more cherry on the cake that is getting me to buy a 360 this Christmas.

before the Edge review is a waste of time at this point.

Isn't the Edge review a reflection of the hype, and nothing to do with how good the game actually is?

Bumping this as the first batch of reviews are out.

GiantBomb - 9

IGN - 9.0

GamesRadar - 8

1UP - 83

OXM - 8

Eurogamer - 7

I think the overall opinion is that Alan Wake is a short and flawed but generally entertaining game, one that would have been better received had it come out when it should have.

I'm still getting mine fo' sho'.

From what i have seen of trailers and the like im interested in this and probably will get it at some point!

Good reviews score overall really! Might have to read some of them.

Kotaku gave this a raving review, i really might have to pick this up. He said at one point he dropped his controller he shitted himself that bad, that sounds fun :D

Wait? Reviews? Have I completely missed a load of stuff about this? The last thing I remember is a video about four years ago.

Not sure if I'll pick it up or not now, too many games due this month. I'm only planning on buying one so it's probably Alan Wake or Red Dead...

Gametrailers gave it 8.6 which is pretty respectable. I think GT usually get it right. May pick it up when if comes down in price, doesn't sound like a game that's worth full cost.

8.6 is more than respectable. I'd say it's a great score. I decided to get it, wasn't sure for a while but I definitely want it now, looks pretty good.

I agree, GT usually get thier reviews right. 8.6 is a brilliant score too, considering it's only 1.4 points away from perfection. I've waited ages for this, I can't wait!

Although there's one thing that I find odd; the Collector's Edition seems to have vanished from all retail websites I've been on, bar Zavvi. I've ordered my CE from Game and they say they've taken the payment for it. So it's either a very limited CE, or someone's screwed up somewhere...

Has anyone actually got this game yet? I got my Collector's Edition (which is amazingly well presented) through the post on Thursday. I've had a few hours with it so far and I think it's brilliant! The only problems I can see are that it's very linear and the fact that it's not too challenging, but then I am only playing it on normal. I also have to admit, it's not really scary; although I do find it creepy and incredibly atmospheric. I'm loving the story progression too.

Oh, and there's a nice Max Payne tribute at the start of chapter 2, there's a manuscript in your posession at the start and you can find another one in an office of Alan's apartment. A very nice touch imo.

:grin:

I've got it, really enjoying it so far. I'm finding the controls to be excellent. It isn't massively scary, but it can be a bit of a panic when a lot of enemies are around you and you're scrambling the hit the reload button.

The controls are really good, I've never found aiming to be so accurate.

I got given it a few hours ago. It's been something I've been interested in for quite awhile now so happy to finally get the chance to play it. Haven't actually loaded it up, and probably won't until tomorrow, but really looking forward to playing it.

...And finished :D Awesome game, loved every second of it. Great story and characters, albeit with a few lines of dialogue that seemed to pull you out of the experience, and the gameplay was great. Really innovative use of light and the controls were spot on and accurate. That last episode was a nightmare to get through without firing a single shot yet I was managing fine until I got surrounded by loads of enemies while using a spot light and accidently fired my gun :(

Think I totalled 14 hours or something which was pretty good. Some of the episodes seemed to go on forever but then I was often heading off of the main path looking for coffee thermos (seriously, what was up with that other than being a very odd nod to having to drink excessive amounts of caffeine to stay awake if you were pushed to finish a piece of work) and the manuscripts but didn't collect all of them. Find it annoying that some are only obtainable in Nightmare difficulty. I'll play through it on that anyway but it is frustrating that that is how they've handled it.

Anyway, yeah, great game. Definitely worth the £39.99 to me, as I know I'm going to play it through a couple more times, and I recommend it to anyone who likes Silent Hill but if it's something you'll only play through once, I'd say wait a bit till the price goes down.

Edited by Ganepark32

Picked this game up yesterday (Blockbusters - the only game store near me - had sold out of RDR and didn't receive Split/Second) and completed it today. It's short but pretty brilliant. I especially loved reading about what happens later on, and there were a few great moments, including where someone remembers the scene, gets out the paper with the scene on (which has him looking at the paper on the paper). One I especially liked was:

There's one that says that Barry is getting attacked by an axe man, and that he lifts his arms and "his world exploded" or something like that. My thought at that time was "Well, it was obvious he was going to die anyway". To my surprise, "his world exploded" actually meant that he used a flare to kill his attacker.

The graphics were astounding, and for once the trees and plants looked lifelike, especially when it was windy. The lighting was brilliant (it had to be in a game like this), too.

I like the TV miniseries theme that this was going with, but it seemed half-done. They should have had credits at the end of each episode, as well as a well-placed opening credits. There should also have been an option to save and quit at the end of an episode (from when the achievement pops up, it looks like it saves at the start of the next episode rather than the end of the one you're on) as it would serve as a good point for people to stop playing and continue at a later time.

Still, the story was amazing and the atmosphere of the game was spot-on. Even if you don't buy it you should definitely give it a rent.

There's a surprising lack of discussion about this game here. Still, may as well kick things off myself with my interpretation of the ending; I've still to play the game on Nightmare and hoover up the remaining manuscript pages, so it might not be fully-formed.

From what I can tell Wake was born in 1978, several years after Diver's Isle vanished into the darkness below along with Zane. I think the latter wrote Alan into existence when he realised his plan to right (write?) his wrongs, namely Barbara's death, couldn't be done without balancing the story out; slapping in a happily-ever-after ending didn't work, there's always a price to be paid. As such Alan was created as someone who wouldn't make the same mistake, and was destined from the beginning to ultimately take Zane's place as the guard of the darkness, the one shaping the story to keep the Dark Presence from escaping.

At the end we see Rose holding a lamp with Nightingale lurking in the darkness behind her. I think this shows that the former is the new Lamp Lady — she has some parallels with Cynthia Weaver, both fawning over uninterested writers — with the former FBI agent being the new guise of the Dark Presence, much as funeral gowned Barabara was before him. In other words things are much as they were at the beginning of the game, albeit with roles passing on to a new generation.

Wake is the new Zane, the new gatekeeper, and just like his predecessor he realises that, "It's not a lake... it's an ocean." Zane had the same discovery, as evidenced by his appearance in Alan's dream right at the start: "For he did not know that beyond the lake he called home lies a deeper, darker ocean green, waves both wilder and more serene. To its ports I've been. To its ports I've been! Do you understand?" Zane created Wake not just to be a replacement, but also someone better equipped to combat the Dark Presence: he's the reason behind The Clicker and the manuscript pages left to help Wake piece together what's going on. Now it's Alan's turn to shape the story, and with a greater understanding than Zane had perhaps he can find a way to banish the Presence once and for all...

Cue DLC.

Going to pick this up when I clear my backlog of games. Red Dead, Lost Planet 2 and 3D Dot Game Heroes are all needing my attention at the moment.

Just picked this up from ASDA, and am I right in thinking I should not use the code to redeem the first DLC at the moment?

Just picked this up from ASDA, and am I right in thinking I should not use the code to redeem the first DLC at the moment?

You need to redeem the code now and they'll email you the proper code when the DLC is ready. It will also download some live-action shorts or something.