Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Artist Creates Invisible Car

Dante

car460_1395623c.jpg

Art student Sara Watson has found the ultimate way of avoiding traffic wardens – by making her car invisible.

The 22-year-old student at the University of Central Lancashire spray painted a battered Skoda Fabia to match the car park and entrance to her art studio.

Her work, created as part of her drawing and image making course at the university, creates the illusion that the car is see through.

She was given the car from a breakers yard and worked for three weeks to ensure that it blended perfectly with its surroundings.

"I was experimenting with the whole concept of illusion but needed something a bit more physical to make a real impact." said Miss Watson, who is from Ashton under Lyne.

"People have been stopping in the street to look and coming up and almost bumping into it, so it's had the desired effect."

The car is reminiscent of the work by pavement artist Julian Beever, whose attempts to trick people's minds into seeing perspective on the flat surfaces of paving stones.

Steve Jackson, owner of Recycling Lives, the firm that gave Miss Watson the car, said: "When I first saw the photos I was convinced it was something which had been done on the computer, but when you look more closely you see the effort and attention to detail she has put into it. It is just amazing."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk

Spooky!

Interesting, but presumably fails if you look from any other direction?

I would have thought so. I'm trying to imagine it, and it just doesn't seem as though it would work from more than one perspective.

Not taking away from it in anyway what so ever. I used to do alot of drawing and it takes me like a day (and literally I mean a whole day) to produce just a picture (that i'm happy with). There must have been sooo much effort involved in this, so :bowdown:

These remind me of the artist (Can't remember his/her name but their american) who paints stuff on solid walls, such as archways through to non-existant shopping malls, that hold a similar premise to this. They're really well done and the number of people I've seen walking into the wall thinking it was real is mind boggling. I'll try and find the artist and get some images of his/her work.

I saw one of a well painted onto a circular arrangement of paving stones. It only worked for one direction but the amount of people who walked around it and tried to look down it was unreal. Even when they saw it was just a painting a lot of them still didn't walk on it.

I always think things like this are great but I've never ever seen one in the flesh. Would really like to be able to see it from all angles and how they put these things together. The sort of artistic talent that I will never have!

I always think things like this are great but I've never ever seen one in the flesh. Would really like to be able to see it from all angles and how they put these things together. The sort of artistic talent that I will never have!

The majority of the perspectiveness is just simple maths (well, not simple. But still Maths).

What happens when she can't park it again in the exact same position?

Faiiiiiluuuure. :heh:

Although, I think this is pretty sweet. This is the kind of stuff that I find really cool, along with the Beever street-art pictures. I remember one maths teacher in my placement school had some of his pictures on his wall, and they did lessons based on this which focused on shape and space. Very cool. :)