N-Europe

Earth Hour - 8:30PM

Eenuh

Guest Maase

The fact is that what he said its true, you might not find him funny, but at least he's right

Edit: 2:25 - 3:40

This pretty much shuts up everyone with the "Save the Planet"

Edited by Maase

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt that humans are doing anything at all to really save the planet and I doubt that we ever will. No matter what we do, the world population is expected to grow from 6.5 billion to 9.2 billion by 2050. We should be more concerned about the actual land that we are going to build a billion more homes on. It is good however, that this event is raising awareness for the environment.

Edited by Pyxis

This seems pointless, The electricity saved will most likely be equal to the energy use when everything is turned back on.

It can be cheaper to leave somethings running, aswell as better for the appliance.

I think its a good time to try save money, but spending money to try win a losing battle in the current economic state is just madness...

***SPARTAAAA

I can happily say that I did not take part in this middle class pleasing bullshit. Ya know, the kind of people who think they're going to heaven because they drove home in their 4 by 4 then switched the lights off for an hour.

Was awfully tempted to set up some Christmas lights for an hour, actually.

The fact is that what he said its true, you might not find him funny, but at least he's right

Y'know, when a guys main arguement is "the worlds been here longer than us and nothing bad happened" its just stupid. He says in the last 200 years we've somehow managed to doom the planet? and asks how thats possible right?

Well every year people cut down trees right? to make various things and shizzle. It's a resource, a fossil fuel, blah. I believe each year the amount of trees that gets cut down is something related to the size of wales. Now obviously that'll run out, wales is big and theres x amount of trees to be used. If we weren't here, those trees wouldn't be cut down, burnt and destroyed in general.

Like fuck we're not destroying this planet, that guy needs to check his facts and think through his arguements.

i'ma put a zillion fairy lights on my roof spelling out EARTH HOUR! to raise awareness for this fine cause ^___^

nah i joke.

i use candles to light my room most of the time anyhow.. because my room is tiny and can be pretty much lit by one tea-light (why are they called that??!) and also because i'm tight and dont like to pay electricity bills :grin:

Edited by bluey

OMG I never realised that it was the people that were in danger. God I'm so stupid. And here's me thinking that the planet would die and we'd all be left alive floating in space with no planet to live on. Man I am so glad that you cleared that up for me. Thank you so much for enlightening me. I'll never talk about saving the planet anymore.

Wow, I find it strange how one thread, which had the intentions of doing good, could breed so many negative replies. I do agree with Ine's earlier post, so many people just want to be anti-everything. They'd rather sit and moan about something rather than doing something.

Anyway, most of my housemates knew about this when I was telling them about it, although one or two didn't, so we had a good chat. We did turn off all the lights, and I think people stayed in the living room and chatted with the lights out, which is pretty cool.

It reminds me of a game I played before, in the dark with candles. Wink Murder. You each have a candle, then as soon as you see the murderer winking at you, you blow your candle out. Awesome game.

Edit: Watched the video. Turned it off at about 2:40. He's one of those.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Wow, I find it strange how one thread, which had the intentions of doing good, could breed so many negative replies.

While I admit that the idea behind this is ethically sound, it's the fact that it is at the end of the day going to make no difference yet has a shed load of publicity. Also, major companies did it just to score points. Kinda ridiculous, when they pollute the atmosphere to a ridiculous degree.

Legislation is the way for any meaningful planet-saving impact, unfortunately.

While I admit that the idea behind this is ethically sound, it's the fact that it is at the end of the day going to make no difference yet has a shed load of publicity. Also, major companies did it just to score points. Kinda ridiculous, when they pollute the atmosphere to a ridiculous degree.

Legislation is the way for any meaningful planet-saving impact, unfortunately.

That's what this is about though. They know they won't change anything by just turning off the lights for an hour. This is about raising awareness about pollution and energy, and to get governments to actually do something about it (indeed through legislation).

That's what this is about though. They know they won't change anything by just turning off the lights for an hour. This is about raising awareness about pollution and energy, and to get governments to actually do something about it (indeed through legislation).

Are there people out there still unaware of what pollution is? :p

I understand the point of this, but I can't see anything coming about from it. Many people are selfish and therefore it'll be centuries before parties like the green party come into power. People would rather have holidays abroad over saving the planet. And to be honest, who can blame them? The planet will only last so long, dooming whatever generations are alive at the time. The way I see it, a load of people will be wiped out either way. It's fun seeing things negatively, sometimes. :D

People need to stop being so myopic all the damn time. "Bleat, bleat, it's only an hour! Look at how against the grain I am; I'm so cool and anti-establishment." The hour itself isn't important as in practical terms it won't make any real difference. However, by trying to bring people together under a common banner it will hopefully make some people actually think about their relationship with electricity and the effect on the planet. That's the takeaway from this, public mind-share, and that is the seed from which real change grows; humans are very self-involved unless issues are waved in front of them on a regular basis.

The world is ridiculous and hypocritical, but everyone has a choice: either work with what's there to try and steer a sinking ship in the right direction, or sit back and do nothing whilst sneering at those that are prepared to try their best despite ostensible futility.

because my room is tiny and can be pretty much lit by one tea-light (why are they called that??!)

Because they used to be put under pots of tea to keep them warm maybe...sounds good

Well we took part...because we weren't in the house ^_^

Guest Maase
Y'know, when a guys main arguement is "the worlds been here longer than us and nothing bad happened" its just stupid. He says in the last 200 years we've somehow managed to doom the planet? and asks how thats possible right?

Well every year people cut down trees right? to make various things and shizzle. It's a resource, a fossil fuel, blah. I believe each year the amount of trees that gets cut down is something related to the size of wales. Now obviously that'll run out, wales is big and theres x amount of trees to be used. If we weren't here, those trees wouldn't be cut down, burnt and destroyed in general.

Like fuck we're not destroying this planet, that guy needs to check his facts and think through his arguements.

The argument is that the planet has been getting far worse than Humans...

And we expect to destroy it...

And... The Earth survived far many worse things than tree's cutten down...

For god's sake, as the guy said, it had thousands of meteors going against it for thousands years and Ice Age. (Scientic Facts)

If you don't expect that to destroy more tree's than what Humanity cut down in its entire life, you are not understanding what "meteors" and "ice age" are...

OMG I never realised that it was the people that were in danger. God I'm so stupid. And here's me thinking that the planet would die and we'd all be left alive floating in space with no planet to live on. Man I am so glad that you cleared that up for me. Thank you so much for enlightening me. I'll never talk about saving the planet anymore.

Well, yeah.. but:

Not only does everyone use the term "Save the Planet" as the arguments of many is that the planet will be doomed because of us, the destroyers of the world...

You may be smarter, but many of the Humans who hear this publicity stunt that is "Earth Hour", is actually believing we are saving the planet from doom.

Edited by Maase

And... The Earth survived far many worse things than tree's cutten down...

For god's sake, as the guy said, it had thousands of meteors going against it for thousands years and Ice Age. (Scientic Facts)

Bones can heal, blood can be replenished; the human body can take a lot of punishment and completely recover given enough time. So, does that give me the right to break your arm? I mean it won't kill you so it doesn't matter, right?

The Earth will outlive us all, but that doesn't mean our actions are of no consequence. Pretending that we have no effect on the world we live in, not to mention all the other life in it, is just a convenient way of shirking responsibility for the choices we make. Besides, the life of a reductionist is no life at all; you'll boil things down and down until you're left with nothing.

Well, yeah.. but:

Not only does everyone use the term "Save the Planet" as the arguments of many is that the planet will be doomed because of us, the destroyers of the world...

You may be smarter, but many of the Humans who hear this publicity stunt that is "Earth Hour", is actually believing we are saving the planet from doom.

No they don't. They believe that they are saving the planet enough for it to be inhabitable by us.

Guest Maase

I present to you:

I present to you:

my own quote where i agree with what aimless has said?

maase, seriously, you claim that we are insignificant in the long run of this planet, and so that gives a right to do what we like because its of no consequence. Ok, imagine this, cuban missile crisis, kennedy launches the missiles at cuba and the ussr, and in return the ussr launches missiles back. Nuclear war, the northern hemisphere is gone, ash and dust nothing is left ok?

Are you saying that this would happen without our involvement? That destroying the world through our means still leaves a world destroyed.

scientific facts, trees getting cut down, the destruction of the ice caps at our hands, can't come back the next day, they are long lasting effects, the damage we've done, its long lasting, here to stay. You can't say that we aren't destroying the planet.

Hmm, all I know is that George Carlin is Rufus, Rufus is a legend. Rufus appears to have his own opinions, those of you disliking him seem to have your own opinions too. Hmm. I'll leave that one there.

As for me and Earth Hour, well, I was the busiest I've been in a long time on saturday, but believe I was venturing on my way to the pub then(srsly they should do it on like a middle of the week weekday night) so I didn't take part. If I had been at home, or with people at a house, I probably would have taken part! Why? To help 'save the planet' or raise awareness? No, not really tbh, I'd only do it because sitting in the dark with some candles and cool people should be pretty awesome. I'd do it more for the welcome break it'd give us from the luxuries we've come to take so easily as given, just to remind us what we have.

I'd like to try and 'save the planet' but I also believe indeed that it'll survive without us. I know that's not an excuse to pillage the fuck out of it, and I'm not saying it couldn't survive in a better way either. Isn't it nature though? Why are we trying so hard to fight this? Our effects upon the earth will just be the natural path of evolution for it. Whilst I think it's very near impossible to stop our 'destroying the planet' that doesn't mean we shouldn't do our bit if we feel like it/it makes us feel better. I'll be honest though, I don't give a crap about global warming, all this stuff about greenhouse gases and their being the biggest cause. I'm not saying it isn't true or it isn't the case, but really...all we know of it is what we've been told in the media and by the scientists and I know for a fact that science can be rather...flawed sometimes, for want of a better word. I'm living in a different time to that of 100, 500, 1000 years ago, and that's due to humans. This is just another thing due to humans, that people in the future will have to live with and/or under, it'll be an evolution and they'll survive through it just like humans always have. I see it all as just part of the evolution.

EDIT: I'd say we aren't destroying the planet anyway, we're destroying/damaging the present environment.

Guest Maase
Hmm, all I know is that George Carlin is Rufus, Rufus is a legend. Rufus appears to have his own opinions, those of you disliking him seem to have your own opinions too. Hmm. I'll leave that one there.

As for me and Earth Hour, well, I was the busiest I've been in a long time on saturday, but believe I was venturing on my way to the pub then(srsly they should do it on like a middle of the week weekday night) so I didn't take part. If I had been at home, or with people at a house, I probably would have taken part! Why? To help 'save the planet' or raise awareness? No, not really tbh, I'd only do it because sitting in the dark with some candles and cool people should be pretty awesome. I'd do it more for the welcome break it'd give us from the luxuries we've come to take so easily as given, just to remind us what we have.

I'd like to try and 'save the planet' but I also believe indeed that it'll survive without us. I know that's not an excuse to pillage the fuck out of it, and I'm not saying it couldn't survive in a better way either. Isn't it nature though? Why are we trying so hard to fight this? Our effects upon the earth will just be the natural path of evolution for it. Whilst I think it's very near impossible to stop our 'destroying the planet' that doesn't mean we shouldn't do our bit if we feel like it/it makes us feel better. I'll be honest though, I don't give a crap about global warming, all this stuff about greenhouse gases and their being the biggest cause. I'm not saying it isn't true or it isn't the case, but really...all we know of it is what we've been told in the media and by the scientists and I know for a fact that science can be rather...flawed sometimes, for want of a better word. I'm living in a different time to that of 100, 500, 1000 years ago, and that's due to humans. This is just another thing due to humans, that people in the future will have to live with and/or under, it'll be an evolution and they'll survive through it just like humans always have. I see it all as just part of the evolution.

EDIT: I'd say we aren't destroying the planet anyway, we're destroying/damaging the present environment.

This...

Earth will just correct itself and create a new environment, its not like us, as we have a short life, not big enough to change ourselves in the same life based on what surround us...

This...

Earth will just correct itself and create a new environment, its not like us, as we have a short life, not big enough to change ourselves in the same life based on what surround us...

Yes it will. But we will kill all (most) of the animal life along with us. That's what people mean when they talk about destroying the Earth. They mean the Earth as we know it. Not the actual piece of rock floating in space.