N-Europe

Rivalry

Wesley

Most days when I'm at uni there's a lot of talk about this person or that person and general feeling of competition. Most often it is quite friendly; between friends, but there's also the more serious, and sometimes concerning, rivalry against someone who is doing well.

For instance: one chap in most of my lessons is very talented at drawing and does very well in concept/drawing based lessons. But he's pretty well hated by most. Now... it may be because he is very, very snobbish and rude... in fact... it is. But I feel a little of it from some people, not all, is because of rivalry. Do you guys get a lot of this?

I kind of get it a little... but often it's in good faith and there's nothing better to shrug it off and help, and get help, off others. Surely?

(I do hate that lad though... so, so rude...)

There was this one kid last semester I was rivals with in computer science, web design, and 2D animation. He wanted to challenge me to a photoshop competition at one point. It never happened though. Most likely I would have owned him if it did though.

You are not in direct competition with each other! Repeat, you are not in direct competition!

*Homer runs in*

Hey! Apu just called. This Friday, Lisa's team is playing Bart's team. You'll be in direct competition! And I don't want you to go easy on each other just because you're brother and sister. I want to see you both fighting for your parents' love! (flicking light on and off)

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! :grin:

Sorry just reminded me of that! nothing wrong with a bit of health competition as it makes each try harder it when it gets out of hand when it can become a problem. :)

Over the last 2 and a half years I have mentioned a classmate as a 'rival'; he clearly knows his stuff, but I have a niggle with him because in seminars after a tutorial he will happily repeat what was covered in teh lecture, which the tutor wasn't present at, as his own material.

I had a drink with him and his crew at a pub earlier this term and, while finding the guy himself to be a decent bloke, I also discovered some of his grades and KAZAAM! I've been getting equal-or-better grades all along. Success!

A bit disappointing that there's only 7 replies to this. It's a good thread.

I don't know whether or not you'll consider these to be rivalries, but one of my housemates does grate my cheese sometimes.

Here's an example of what will happen:

Him: "uhhh, jim, how much work have you done on your dissertation?"

Me: "about 1200 words, what about you?"

Him: "I've done about 4500, and I've done my PDP, and my skills tests, etc."

Him (coming in from the gym): "Ahhh! I'm so tired! I bench pressed <insert weight number> kg today! *flashes arms*"

Then, ten minutes later, he'll ask how much work I've done. Now, listen here: I don't care! I take my fucking time, and as a result, I don't get stressed all that much. Consider me to be like a leaf. I float. I don't care how much you've done, stop talking about it and shut up!

And why do people have to think they're right all the fucking time?! It seems like whenever I make a point, whatever I'm saying, theirs needs to be right. No, I don't consider there to be a rivalry, but I think that maybe they do, like they need to be the big boss or something. Sometimes I just want to say "Stop being so self-obsessed, give me a chance to speak, and shut the fuck up!"

I'm too lazy and laid back to be anyone's rival. I do get a bit annoyed when someone I know does something clearly outside my capabilities and knowledge, I feel I should be on pair to my friends instead of thinking "how the fuck did he know that?! I always wanted to know how to do that!".

I'm too lazy and laid back to be anyone's rival. I do get a bit annoyed when someone I know does something clearly outside my capabilities and knowledge, I feel I should be on pair to my friends instead of thinking "how the fuck did he know that?! I always wanted to know how to do that!".

The thing is, everyone is good at or knows something that another person can't do or doesn't know. So, yeah, praise them for being at it, but don't envy it. Envy leads to the Dark Side.

i have to admit... when i was in secondary school i was so jealous of my best friend, hannah. she was very talented, pretty well off parents, one a teacher, one a preacher... the general all-round golden child, you know??

she was just... reasonably good at everything she turned her hand to, and i ended up hating her for it. which was stupid of me... but i spoke to one of my friends about it and she told me that i just wasnt one of those "all-rounder" people so i had to try hard, but focus on what i wanted to do most of all.. and go for that.

best advice i received throughout my entire school life.

((the joy of facebook is that one of my old school friends gave me an update on hannah... apparently was sent to a rather expensive uni in the states to study god-knows-what (i assume either quantum physics or philosophy.) and is now a bit of a dead-beat drop out druggie type.

i know it shouldnt .. but makes me feel kinda better ^_^))

I can be quite competitive, though my main problem is probably living up to my own expectations. I'm my own worst rival.

Though on the slightly broader topic of jealousy, I feel terrible about being jealous of my best friend. The worst thing is that it's about a girl. It's not the girl herself, it's more how damn lucky he is. One of the pretty, intelligent, skilled, and all-round attractive girls in the year above us just fell for him, and they have a happy relationship. I know I'm pathetic for feeling this way, but I can't help but think: Why can't this happen to me? We both know and agree that we aren't exactly the alpha males in the herd, so this happening to him is like an old film cliché. It's pretty much Peter Parker and Mary Jane all over.

Rant over. Sorry for pestering you guys with my pathetic whining. Move along.

There was this one kid last semester I was rivals with in computer science, web design, and 2D animation. He wanted to challenge me to a photoshop competition at one point. It never happened though. Most likely I would have owned him if it did though.

A familiar thing happened with me and this guy I knew in my Graphic Design class. Whatever mark I got for my work, he tried to better it (and failed). Like we had to design a computer magazine cover and it had to be done in a week. I got a distinction and he spent two months working on it just so he could get a better mark than me (even though that was the highest mark so why he did it is a mystery to me). In the end, we had a competition and I won and now he's alright with me.

Rivalry eh? To be honest, i can of had/have a natural inferiority complex. Not extreme but its there. But this is the force behind me doing great (or greater things than the competition) things. Any Dragonball Z fans? its like Vegeta; he wouldn't of had the motivation to become as strong as he was if it wasn't for rivalry.

As long as you aren't planning sniper routes, its all good fun. Some people need it.

Because I know who you're talking about Sir Weslathon, I can safely say it's hatred more than rivalry. He feels like one of those guys that wants recognition for his work, showing it off waiting, hoping for someone to see it and say 'ooh that good'. But the problem is he's been slot in society with a load of guys who think anime is stupid cartoon drawings/hentai. Well that's what I believe.

For me I do remember back in Primary School I had a friend called James. Thinking back we had a sort of rivalry. We would always compete who could run the fastest from one end of the playground to the other during break times.

That was such a long time ago, when I was about 5 years old.

Nowadays I keep to myself and have no sparkling talents.

Probably not.

I seem to be a lot harsher on myself than other people are with themselves.

I think we do. We can never be as good as our ideal selves (hence "ideal"), and thus most of us will feel at least some form of resentment towards this self. When we can accept ourselves for who we are, we can finally let go of our resentment and rest in ourselves.