N-Europe

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Ren of Heavens

There's something a bit wierd about the screens in the mag scan imo; they look like the FMV from Resi 2/3.

This game should be right up there with Resi 4 if they want to do it justice, but yeah I think the PSP may drag it down.

I thought the screens looked odd. I recently watched the Silent Hill Retrospective over on Gametrailers. It got me interested in the series and I liked the film.

Whilst I'm still hyped for this game, I get nervous when a game is developed for the Wii alongside a PSP/PS2 cousin.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wellwhaddayouknow, seems the game is coming to PS2 and PSP too.

Bye, bye SH: SM...

Just read that this morning. Fuck off KONAMI and take your shit elsewhere. I've disliked KONAMI for a while, so here is a list of reasons why...

1) MGS being exclusive on PS3 when we all know it shouldn't be

2) PES being BETTER on Wii but being released six months too late to really compete against the other versions

3) The fact the developed a motion sensing whip 'em up for Castlevania Arcade, but instead gave us a shitty unachieving beat 'em up.

4) Rather than giving us exciting titles we get ELEBITS! No MGS compilation with new cool pointy controls, just ELEBITS.

5) When they do say they're going to give us soemthing good, it turns out it's a PS2/PSP port to Wii

KONAMI - I hate you.

(As a foot note, I used to love them. Back in the SNES days everything they touched was awesome - Probotector, Axelay, Castlevania, Turtles in Time, Lethal Enforcers, Pop N Twinbee etc etc)

I can't wait to see this game in motion. That Nintendo Power preview really got me excited even though I've never played a SH game before (although I'd played a short demo of The Room. Didn't really 'get it').

The no combat mechanic has also made me really curious.

[/level headedness]

Well, this somehow softens the blow from Project Zero IV. It's looking mighty nice, and a cool (Ha!) new direction for the series. Colour me interested!

A summary, courtesy of GoNintendo:

- Harry has crashed on the side of the road while in a snowstorm.

- Harry’s daughter is missing, and he sets off into Silent Hill to find her

- game kicks off with in a psychiatrist’s office where we hear of a new patient arriving. After that exchange, we see Harry fall from his car into the snow just after his crash. We then flash back to the office with the psychiatrist talking to this new patient

- camera is first person during the office segment. You can look around while the psychiatrist talks

- you must fill out a psychiatric profile

- when asked questions by the psychiatrist, you can wave your Wiimote up and down/left to right to answer

- after this exchange you flash back to the accident with Harry calling for his daughter

- almost every decision you make impacts the game. For example, if you first choose to look at your map or a girlie calendar on the wall, the game makes note of this decision

- an example of early changes: as you fill out your profile, the game will present you with different situations. When walking through town, you might see an open bar or an open diner. These things change as you make more and more choices

- minus button to bring up your phone, which houses all sorts of important information

- use phone to dial, take pics, text, check voicemail, browse phonebook, changes options and settings (whose viewer shows a slowed framerate a la iPhone) to take and store pictures, check text messages and voice mail, look through your phone book, and access game options and settings

- take pictures of the environment to reveal new details: take a picture of a swingset with no one around it, look at the pic to see your daughter sitting on the swing

- pictures can cue voicemails and other occurrences

- game world changes from Silent Hill to evil Silent Hill right before your eyes

- no longer a hellish look…things are more ‘icy’

- static on your phone still clues you in as it did in past games

- stunning flashlight effects

- Nunchuk to walk, hold Z to run, C for 180-turn, A for actions, B-trigger plus A to pick items up, D-pad for phone, D-pad down to view behind you

- intelligent enemies will hunt you down, talk to other enemies to find you, open doors and climb fences

- one again, no weapons

- Harry talks to himself throughout the game to rehash info

- no load times

- camera filter returns from previous games

- flashlight will even light up snowflakes

- Wii is the lead platform

Rather than giving us exciting titles we get ELEBITS!

Bring out them torches and pickforks!

Eledees (or Elebits, depending where you're from) wasn't perfect, but I think it's still a damn good title! Sure, there was no bipedal, all-terrain, nuclear-equipped, walking battle tank capable of launching a nuclear warhead from anywhere on the planet in sight, but can you lift a house in MGS?

Edited by Strange Cookie

This looks like it'll either be a combat-free Condemned (ie awesome) or another Alone In The Dark (shit - check out N-E's review, written by som cool fella).

Kinda hyped, I want something to make me like my Wii again!

I.e., yellow and watery? :P

Getting a good vibe from this. Remember, this is made by the fellas over at Climax Studios (Overlord: Dark Legend).

Does look like if Winter will ever come out, it'll have to differentiate itself theme-wise as well (with SH getting the frost-makeover and all).

a combat-free Condemned (ie awesome)

How would a combat-free Condemned be awesome? :confused:

I mean, what do you do in a game full of enemies if you can't fight them? If it were like an adventure game, where you just go around solving puzzles and there's no enemies, fine. But if you have to flee everytime you see an enemy, I frankly am not seeing the point. Is it a stealth game, then?

I am intrigued by this new Silent Hill game, but I'm not yet completely sold on its concept of no fighting. I don't understand where they're going yet.

I'm getting the feeling this may actually be better than Silent Hill 2. Which is saying a lot.

Way to soon to be saying stuff like that.

Also no Team Silent in the project (except for the music composer) which makes it hard for me to believe that someone else can carry the torch.

I am saying this as a massive fan of SH 1 and 2 :Þ

I would love the idea of this game if it wasn't for the fact it was also on PSP and PS2.

The fact it's on that systems means none of the extra controls are going to be anything important enough that you couldn't do them with a button press. That defeats the whole fucking point.

If you're going to make a Wii game, make a game you CAN'T make on the other consoles, take advantage of the controls completely. If your project is easy to port to PS2 then there is something seriously wrong!

^ What about the Wii-mote flashlight? the Wii-mote speaker as your mobile phone? I think it will be pretty unique.

Judging by the screens and by how impressed IGN were with the game in terms of the visuals and gameplay, I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii gets pretty much it's own version, with the PS2 and PSP game getting shared development.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!