Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Concentration

CooInTheZoo

I need help. I can't sit down and do coursework for more than a second without walking away from the computer. I've never really had a concentration span but now that I'm nearing the end of a three year course and Uni is approaching the pressure is really on. Any tips?

I've been self-diagnosing on Google, all signs point to ADHD. Any way to block yourself using Google would be a huge help also.

i had the same problem through uni, cos my attention span is very short

i found that working at strange times when no one was up helped me, getting up early, or working late. also, going into the libary and sitting alone, so no one can distract me.

also, make a plan what your going to write, break each point into its own paragraph. if one gets you stuck, go on ahead, it keeps your flow going.

if you have different sections, get the short ones away first. my methods and results sections were a cake walk.

i would aim for 500-1000 words a day, set your self goals, and for the love of god, aim to be done well intime for hand in, re writes and checking your work is essental.

once you have all the information, work on slotting it together.

so in essence, the best way to do it is to slit it from one huge task into alot of little ones.

I need help. I can't sit down and do coursework for more than a second without walking away from the computer. I've never really had a concentration span but now that I'm nearing the end of a three year course and Uni is approaching the pressure is really on. Any tips?

It used to be the other way around for me. Even though I was working on the computer. It took a minute then I think a few games of Minesweeper would be fun, then checking emails/forums etc. Work is forgotten.

You need to f33l the gr00ve. As soon as you start pr0ing your way through you start charging. Juggernaut style. If you're working and not feeling it, then you're going the wrong way about it. Or haven't prepared enough.

i found that working at strange times when no one was up helped me, getting up early, or working late. also, going into the libary and sitting alone, so no one can distract me.

I tried that too. Got insanely bored.

You'd be amazed how many people who can't be bothered to do their work claim they think they have ADD.... If you enjoy something you can concentrate on it fine, it's only work that's the problem.

I second that. Not saying you definitely don't have it, but you'll also be hardpressed to find someone who is motivated to do coursework. You know it's not like playing a game, it isn't fun, so you're instantly turned off.

The tough bit for me is starting. I also know that I can't work with other people around me, as it's too easy to stop what you're doing and engage in conversation. Best thing to do is find a nice quiet spot, somewhere where you know that you won't get interruptions.

Secondly, set yourself breaks and goals. I say to myself "Ok, I'm going to write 500 words, and then going to make myself a cup of tea." Reward yourself. You may find that at 500 words, you won't want to stop as you're in your flow, so might continue. Do not choose something like playing a game as a reward, because you'll get sucked in. Choose something which means you won't get sucked in for too long, but that you know will help you feel refreshed.

Thirdly, read through your instructions and understand fully what you're trying to do. Look at your criteria. When I do this, I find that I start to research what I need to exactly be doing - and then you find yourself actually getting into it, because you know what you're doing. If you understand what you're doing, you'll be more motivated to do it. If you haven't a clue, you put it off.

Another tip, know yourself. When do you best find that you feel motivated, or when do you best work? Do you concentrate more in the day or more at night? If it helps, take a shower and refreshen yourself before working. It's what I sometimes do. Destress before working.

Good luck. You're gonna be fine, sucker.

I'm with Flink and Shorty - I find myself procrastinating an awful lot, even though I love my subject, so if you're doing work you dislike it's going to be difficult indeed. I tend to find the only real solution is to excercise some willpower and make yourself do it, ensuring you promise yourself (short) breaks.

It's natural, it just means you don't give the slightest fuck about what you're trying to force yourself to do. It's just one of those things, and there's nothing wrong with admitting it. You just have to man up and get on with it, or.. you know, don't, and fail. But there's no real excuse for it - I'm a lazy bastard and putting off/minimally doing things I don't care about is my forté, but I don't pretend it's anything other than me hating the boring shit in life.

If I do have problems it's the fact I'm awake at 5:33 drinking and posting on the internet

Quit video games temporarily! Seriously. When you deprive yourself of such, you realise your undivided attention goes towards something else... Usually facebook, or just general surfing for no reason. Put a tap on these habits, keep your environment tidy (so you won't feel like you have to clean it before you start something), then make a to-do list, preferably timed. You may not stick with the times, but its a great guideline on your time management... Still give yourself a generous amount of time to rest and chill, but just make sure you stick to what you have to do and tick when completed, your concentration will be much better.

Quit video games temporarily! Seriously. When you deprive yourself of such, you realise your undivided attention goes towards something else... Usually facebook, or just general surfing for no reason. Put a tap on these habits, keep your environment tidy (so you won't feel like you have to clean it before you start something), then make a to-do list, preferably timed. You may not stick with the times, but its a great guideline on your time management... Still give yourself a generous amount of time to rest and chill, but just make sure you stick to what you have to do and tick when completed, your concentration will be much better.

I put a temporary stop on video games about a fornight ago, havn't been on both the 360 and Wii during that time. I have found that i can bring much more conversation about other things than video games. I've managed from this to concentrate more on my work and get things done i've let slip for so long.

I've managed to relieve stress, fix things and discover these things called books (i have loads to read atm) mainly Clarkson books.

Seriously, video games are the big distraction and once you put a freeze on them everything becomes clearer and you can concentrate more on more important things.

Hello Tobes, how are you? long time no chat.

Many of us struggle to focus and do coursework, even when it is a subject we love. Just doesn't feel as fun when we're forced to do it and by a certain time and life is full of distractions. Try sleep well, eat well, the biggest part is the writing of essays, actual revision and planning can be done in small chunks unless you've left it too late. I'd advise planning out your structure and argument (leaving some room to flow while you're writing). Then when you're ready, go for it, spend a small amount of time on things that you really like so it doesnt all just feel like work, but crack to it. Once you have that deadline looming you'll find you'll be working. Just plan it better than I did; in my last month of uni I barely left the house and many nights I got no sleep because I was just writing my essays.

If you are one of those people, get a time table and plan how much time you want to spend a week on your academic work (doesn't work for me, but know some it does work for).

I usually have to mess about as much as I can and just get it all out of the way before I can work, so I can't think hmm I haven't checked this site or haven't practiced guitar or something because I already have. Down side can be that by the time you get to work it's quite late, you're tired, you still don't want to do the work.

All the above offer some sound advise. :)

I have a hard time concentrating on work but I guess I have this feeling that I can't do anything else until it is done. If I go to do something else I gain no joy from it as that is still on the back of my brain and so some times you just have to slap yourself and get it done! It'll feel much better.

Equally I make a rough time guideline of what I'm going to get down in that day/the weekend. With half an hour breakdown times, I do not specify for breaks however as the inevitable distractions of the internet do surface and so I take that in to account. with that plan I feel more at rest as what I get done during the day is good and then I'm able to relax in the afternoon,. Again it has been said but do choose the time of day you work best in.

I work best at 5 in the morning until lunchtime and after that it goes to pot, so it be good to find a time suited to you!

Just get little bits done gradually. If you feel you can only handle an hour one day just do an hour perhaps so at last you get some work done as oppose to non and still having to get started the day before it is due.

The hardest thing is starting and so you have to literally plough in no matter how bad your answer starts off and then touch it up later!

Finally Music helps it really does. Something relaxing (like Bon Ivor) It helps lock my brain into the work. Again Silence may be the best way you work.

It is about finding what is right for you. I mean I do a lot of my work in my Pyjama's from my bed.... I didn't need to say that. :p