Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Weight Loss 2009

ReZourceman

I think you may have been in Japanoland at the time? If not, it's not myyyy fault! I was visiting the animals, not you!

*throws shit at Flink*

Now what's your excuse?

:p

Come baaaaaack!

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's a good drink to take with you when excercising? I'm thinking Lucozade, but I wonder if it's as good at dishing out the energy as it says it is. Plus I don't want to drink too much of the stuff since 1 bottle has half of your daily sugar IIRC. I'll be taking water obviously, but I need something to stop me getting knackered.

I'm going to try to bike to Oxford and back tomorrow (about 44 miles). I'll decide when I get to Oxford if I'll try the return journey or just take the train back, but I really want to do it.

All you need is water and a proper pace to be honest.

That energy drink stuff really angers me, it rots your teeth, and you have to be doing some SERIOUS exercise to burn off how many calories it contains. And even if you suceed in burning off the energy, you could have burned a lot more cals by just going on water.

Edited by Raining_again

All you need is water and a proper pace to be honest.

That energy drink stuff really angers me, it rots your teeth, and you have to be doing some SERIOUS exercise to burn off how many calories it contains. And even if you suceed in burning off the energy, you could have burned a lot more cals by just going on water.

I agree, I drink too much lucozade but have you seen the amount of sugars in a 500ml? 34.5grams of the stuff in one bottle, its ridiculous to use as an energy source when water is ideal in the first place.

I'm being hypocritical but I'm saving you at the same time!

I agree, I drink too much lucozade but have you seen the amount of sugars in a 500ml? 34.5grams of the stuff in one bottle, its ridiculous to use as an energy source when water is ideal in the first place.

I'm being hypocritical but I'm saving you at the same time!

fast way for one to give themselves diabetes.

34.5 fucking grams of sugar. That's a disgrace.

Well I fucking did it. Oxford and back motherfuckers. Link to the route. 46 god damn miles. I left the house at half 11 and got back at half 6. A short list of my thoughts during and after the epic quest of justice. In no particular order:

A need a better saddle. I'm fairly certain I can never have kids now and I'm saddle sore beyond belief.

Being outpaced by a man wearing a tweed suit is both hilarious and embarrassing.

The smell of a flat 4 engine is the greatest smell ever.

I'm fairly certain my legs hate me.

I love my bike, but I never want to see it again.

Every time I stand up now, I make a sound like a pensioner being happy slapped.

The bag that attaches to my handlebars looks suspiciously like a purse when carried around.

Random items found at the side of the road include: a pair of shoes, a garage door (in the middle of nowhere, WTF?) and half a Peugeot badge.

Pretty much the whole of Oxfordshire saw my boxer shorts.

The attractive person to monster ratio in Oxford is far more favourable than in Banbury.

Despite having a whole mess of bike lanes, Oxford is still pant shittingly scary to bike round.

Greasing the bike chain and wheel axles was a good idea.

A Dairylea sandwich has never tasted so good.

My wrist isn't as healed as I thought it was.

I'm not particularly fit, but I am amazingly stubbourn.

If there is a hell, it almost certainly features a section that involves cycling uphill with oncoming wind. I seriously considered throwing myself under a car in order to get an Ambulance to take me the rest of the way.

I was expecting a fanfare and a handjob from 18 charming maidens when I got back. Clearly I was expecting too much.

A picture of my bike at Oxford:

SP_A0115.jpg

You should see what's in the apple one. I think it's 70 odd percent of your daily recommended sugar.

Isotonic drinks are very useful as long as you use them correctly. I always have a bottle of Powerade with me when working out or playing football. Drinking them replaces the electrolytes lost when you sweat, which everyone obviously does. There also helpful midway through exercise as the body's muscles use glucose as fuel, so replenishing them will allow you to last longer.

You should see what's in the apple one. I think it's 70 odd percent of your daily recommended sugar.

Dude kudos to you, thats seriously brave. Your report made me laugh several times :heh:

All the diet shit (where it may be low in calories) is absolutely FULL to death of the sugars. Its actually quite horrifying. God only knows what that does to your system

Isotonic drinks are very useful as long as you use them correctly. I always have a bottle of Powerade with me when working out or playing football. Drinking them replaces the electrolytes lost when you sweat, which everyone obviously does. There also helpful midway through exercise as the body's muscles use glucose as fuel, so replenishing them will allow you to last longer.

If you want to lose weight surely those kind of drinks are only detrimental?

I can understand a really super fit person doing a triathlon, or a marathon runner.... But not someone who 1/ isnt fit anyway and 2/ is overweight.

Goafer = ridiculously amazing legend. Best new member 2009 award?

PS Wheres the 2008 awards? Its approaching our record of how later the 2007 awards were.

I feel that I'm in danger of being humped at the N-Europe meet. It's no hand job at the hands of 18 maidens, but it'll do.

I think I can actually hear my legs conspiring to kill me in my sleep. I swear one of them just said they plan on walking me into the path of a train.

this is buttons on / nandos / account (at his house you see.....)

i really really really want a bike.. i mean SERIOUSLY i want a bike... but ive no idea where to get one ( found out last year the parents sold the one i had!)... and i fear they may be too expensive... but theres a wonderful cycle path near me that i really want to cycle on (or walk...lol)...

I got my bike for £200ish. You could probably get a semi decent one for £100 or so. I just wanted the best one I could afford since I am a fat fucker (more so when I bought the bike) and I didn't want it falling apart.

Keep a bike well maintaned and they'll pretty much go forever. You'd be surprised how much easier a journey is if you make sure the tires are properly inflated (they go down over time, or at least mine do) and the the chain/axles are properly oiled.

Ugh, my bf drinks at least 3 redbulls a day - no wonder he can't sleep.

Edited by Letty

Cheers. According to Gmaps Pedometer, I burned 6085 calories on that journey.

Although I'm fairly certain that Gmaps only diplays calories burned if you were running a route, so I looked it up elsewhere. 4 hours cycling (might have been more) and half an hour walking (round Oxford) suggests I burned 2882 calories.

So a good day either way!

Thats more than your daily amount, I can imagine 6k for a bike is abit much.

I recall talking to one of my college tutors whilst there, he was ex army something or other, very tall man, he talked me through every exercise (my friend was there too), he hated cycling because it overall didn't do as much as running, but he had to allow it because running can be very bad for joints.

Although he also suggested swimming isn't as good as people believe..

Interesting man at any rate!

Well I've been weighing myself almost every day on Wii-Fit now for a week... first 4 days I seemed to put a small amount of weight on, like a 1lb or 2lb over those few days but then I lost about 1lb over the next two days but today I've put 1lb on, no wonder i've never really put any weight on for so long. :/

But still I am at least making progress of sorts... and yes I am weighing myself at the same time each day, in the morning before breakfast and at least because I'm monitoring my weight most days I can try and do something about it rather than ignoring it as I had been doing previously.

Well I've been weighing myself almost every day on Wii-Fit now for a week... first 4 days I seemed to put a small amount of weight on, like a 1lb or 2lb over those few days but then I lost about 1lb over the next two days but today I've put 1lb on, no wonder i've never really put any weight on for so long. :/

But still I am at least making progress of sorts... and yes I am weighing myself at the same time each day, in the morning before breakfast and at least because I'm monitoring my weight most days I can try and do something about it rather than ignoring it as I had been doing previously.

Yaaaay.

You can do it EssSeeGeeeeee!

I definitely prefer the daily monitoring of weight myself (weightwatchers is weekly) not as an obsession, but its worth taking note - if i'm slipping off the wagon I'll see it and can do something about it then, rather than forgetting about it, like you say scg.

Keep at it, its as tough for the ones trying to gain (as much as im horrendously jealous!!) :heh:

I on the other hand seem to be stuck in and around the 18 stone mark at the mo. Its quite frustrating. Getting to a place where i'm almost on a plateau. Yeah sure its better than the weight piling on like it has in the past, but I'm not really happy where I am.

One thing that I really hate - because I'm quite tall (5ft11) and I seem to have a heavy structure or something, I never look the weight that I am.

I'm pretty open about my weight problems, and I've talked to lots of people about my weight - every single one of them refuses to believe I am as heavy as the scales would led you to believe.

But at the end of the day the scales don't lie :(

Thanks Raining :) I agree with the daily monitoring, it's good as you always know where you stand be it good or bad, personally it keeps me motivated and even though I get annoyed when things aren't going so well it just makes me want to try harder even if I end up maybe missing out a days weighing just to spite Wii-Fit... :heh:

I believe that you can do it Raining! You may feel rather frustrated atm but just look back at what you've achieved so far :) you've worked really hard getting to the point you're at now and we all believe that you will reach your goal; so keep at it as I'm sure you will and remember that we are all here for you through the good times and the bad. ^^

Thanks Raining :)I agree with the daily monitoring, it's good as you always know where you stand be it good or bad, personally it keeps me motivated and even though I get annoyed when things aren't going so well it just makes me want to try harder even if I end up maybe missing out a days weighing just to spite Wii-Fit... :heh:

I believe that you can do it Raining! You may feel rather frustrated atm but just look back at what you've achieved so far :) you've worked really hard getting to the point you're at now and we all believe that you will reach your goal; so keep at it as I'm sure you will and remember that we are all here for you through the good times and the bad. ^^

Thanks scg :)

Monitoring yourself daily is a good idea, but dont take it to heart if it doesnt work out, because weight fluctuates from day to day.

Basically if i step on the scales and see my weight veering on the wrong side of where I want it to be, i'm gonna be extra good to counteract it. But I won't let it drive me crazy.

Anyone can do it! :) I've weighed 12 stone for nearly 5 years and now I weigh 8st 9lbs after 6 months of eating better and doing more excerise, and a small daily dose of Wii Fit. My BMI is now at a healthy 21.55 and I haven't felt this good since I was at school. The hard work is worth it for the rewards of feeling great.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!