N-Europe

Some new details from NGamer:

These details come from NGamer magazine…

- official title is TMNT: Smash Up

- dark, gritty graphics

- some real-world inspired locations: Manhattan skyline, unspecified jungle arena, motel roof

- defeat opponents by depleting health meter or via stage knock-out, much like the Smash Bros. series

- some context-sensitive moves

- no motion-controlled attacks, but there will be motion controls for other aspects

- levels change as you fight, start in one location and end up in another

- pizza restores health

- Peter Laird (TMNT co-creator) is writing the single-player story

- Mirage (comic publisher) is filling out the roster

- Splinter and the Turtles are the only confirmed fighters thus far

- 4-player online reconfirmed

Sounds AMAZING!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish this had a story mode ala old TMNT games on SNES/Genesis. It was great for co-op.

Considering the amount of inspiration they're getting from Smash Bros, this is actually likely.

Anyway, I'm getting interested in this. Can't wait to see if I actually recognise the other playable characters.

Is this the same game that they're claiming will be original, not based on movies, comics, cartoons etc - because they look a lot like the movie models to me...
I was gonna post the exact same thing [until I just got to your post]!

They are just the movie models and in a very poor resolution! It looks as if it was a PSP game being ported to Wii.

Oh, Ubisoft. Can't you get anything right?
I really annoys me when you read quotes from Ubisoft about how they want this game to better SSBB, and new quotes like these...

http://www.cubed3.com/news/11525

We're really excited to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the first TMNT� comic and we have a number of radical 'Shell-ebration' events planned for 2009. The awesome new video game that Ubisoft will release in 2009 is an important part of celebrating this Turtles milestone with fans around the world.

Gary Richardson, CEO of Mirage Studios.

There is no better tribute to the Turtles than the creation of a brand-new game that will help to launch the next 25 years of success. It's our pleasure to partner again with Mirage as part of the worldwide birthday celebration for the Turtles.

Tony Key, senior vice president of sales and marketing at Ubisoft.

If they really cared about paying tribute to 25 years of Turtles, they'd put some fucking effort in!... They don't care, they're just cashing in on the anniversary year.

They still don't look like they're naturally part of the environment. They look like toys against a backdrop...

I was wondering what looked wrong about those pictures and you knocked the nail on the head there, they just don't fit in with the backgrounds, they look like they've been copied and pasted on. I had high hopes for this game. Hopefully with some of the smash bros team behind it, it will still play well.

Not liking it at all. So far the screen shots look grainy and the style just feels and looks all wrong.

They really should have gone with a Cel shading option side, scroller beat em up feel. The Turtles arcade game was one of the best versions and still will be.

Not liking it at all. So far the screen shots look grainy and the style just feels and looks all wrong.

They really should have gone with a Cel shading option side, scroller beat em up feel. The Turtles arcade game was one of the best versions and still will be.

Yeah I was actually gonna post a youtube vid of the arcade game and say how they should have taken inspiration from that.

A fantastically stylised 2D cel shaded beat'em up, drawing level design/character inspiration from the 80's cartoon; to make it a real tribute.

And it could have had a 4-player co-op story mode just like the arcade game, or even just an updated port of the arcade game with current graphics, improved animation, difficulty etc...

Ubisoft seem amazing at ripping off Nintendo.

First Nintendogs, then Brain Ages, then Wii Fit, maybe throw in the Rayman RR game as a Mario Party rip off, and now Smash Bro's.

But yeah, this looks pretty forgetable at the moment, will give it more attention once I see gameplay footage. It just looks like a Smash Bros clone with no where near the appeal or anywhere close to the amount of content.