N-Europe

The Ultimate Rick Roll

Ramar

So the powers that be might slay me down for this topic, but what the hell.

I just checked my facebook to see an invite to a group, typically I almost clicked ignore without reading, but this was a big one.

Basically a group of people have decided to try and get the man that is The Astley to number 1 for Christmas. Very similar to the get the hoff to #1 campaign, but this time theres a decent cause. Stopping the spawn of X-factor getting the Christmas #1 slot.

The site with instructions are here. No it's not a rick roll itself.

http://www.ultimaterickroll.com/

Basically it's 79p for a bit of Christmas fun. I'm game.

So the powers that be might slay me down for this topic, but what the hell.

I just checked my facebook to see an invite to a group, typically I almost clicked ignore without reading, but this was a big one.

Basically a group of people have decided to try and get the man that is The Astley to number 1 for Christmas. Very similar to the get the hoff to #1 campaign, but this time theres a decent cause. Stopping the spawn of X-factor getting the Christmas #1 slot.

The site with instructions are here. No it's not a rick roll itself.

http://www.ultimaterickroll.com/

Basically it's 79p for a bit of Christmas fun. I'm game.

It'll never happen though, as the X Factor single buying public mostly never join these sites, and therefore the single still goes to no.1.

Fair enough they're doing it. Not sure if that's how the chart's work (seriously, I have no idea), but it does annoy me that the site wants you to buy the tune through their page via an adclicky thingum which means they'll get some dosh for each sap who buys the song through them. Something a bit nasty about witholding information like that -- "by the way, it's not just for fun - if enough of you do it then I can buy myself a new TV!"...

Fair enough they're doing it. Not sure if that's how the chart's work (seriously, I have no idea), but it does annoy me that the site wants you to buy the tune through their page via an adclicky thingum which means they'll get some dosh for each sap who buys the song through them. Something a bit nasty about witholding information like that -- "by the way, it's not just for fun - if enough of you do it then I can buy myself a new TV!"...

You don't have to click iTunes link on the page though, you can just open iTunes yourself, search for it and pay the 79p.

Obviously it is a bit sly if they're making money through the link, the facebook group says to search for it yourself. Where as the site has the gimpy click his ad link.

It would be awesome if Astley made it to No1 at Christmas. Only logical way this can happen is if the guys behind the MTV award that he won created this scheme as well.

But Rick probably won't make it to the top. There is more chance of say snow amongst other things less likely to happen

Yeah, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas..I hate X Factor for taking the fun out of it.

Who else remembers the joy of when Mad World went to no.1 in 02 (or was 03?)? That kinda thing I miss.

I know. The shite fest that was Leon Jackson last year just goes to show that we need a change.

Yeah, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas..I hate X Factor for taking the fun out of it.

Who else remembers the joy of when Mad World went to no.1 in 02 (or was 03?)? That kinda thing I miss.

2003 i remember (actually, Wiki says it is). And i still remember my Dad picking The Darkness as number 1 for the Christmas chart, only for Mad World to overtake it. That was such a laugh, and he still detests it now.

I kind of got bored of X-Factor winners taking the number 1 spot after 2006/2007. Why can't X-Factor be on in the summer instead.

Mad World = Great song, was also in Donnie Darko.

Rick Astley = Well, I haven't actually heard anything of his beside Never Gonna Give You Up, but that's a great piece, too. Eighties music when it's done right.

Fun fact: Rick Astley is married to a Dane, is trying to learn Danish, and did the music for the Danish film Oh, Happy Day. Yes, I'm proud that Astley is associated with Denmark. :p