N-Europe

If Days Were Longer?

ReZourceman

A 30 hour day would make our 7 day week 210 hours, 42 hours longer. We could go with a 6 day week(more likely imo) of 180 hours a week, only 12 hours longer than normal. Of course then were losing a whole day of our lives. The whole calender year would be completely different, more than likely not anywhere near correct. Right now our years are 365 days, except that's not correct there is an extra 6 hours a year we make up for on leap years.

Hmmm I typed that out then thought, hmmm we're only so far from the sun, so no matter how we decide our days should be the sun is what we are based off of.

I'm thinking that the days have always been 30 hours long. Not just suddenly changed.

But the human body's limitations aren't shaped by the length of the day but by the amount of time one can last before exhaustion. There might be a common ancestor to the two points due to some sort of evolved 'natural' need to go to sleep when the sun goes down, but by your logic if days were two hours long we'd need an hour's sleep every two hours.

As the humans we are, we wouldn't need to sleep every hour. If days were, say, 100 hours long then I guess we'd operate in 'shifts' - I suppose scandinavian super-long winter thingums can be looked at here!

But the human body's limitations aren't shaped by the length of the day but by the amount of time one can last before exhaustion. There might be a common ancestor to the two points due to some sort of evolved 'natural' need to go to sleep when the sun goes down, but by your logic if days were two hours long we'd need an hour's sleep every two hours.

As the humans we are, we wouldn't need to sleep every hour. If days were, say, 100 hours long then I guess we'd operate in 'shifts' - I suppose scandinavian super-long winter thingums can be looked at here!

Yes but as I said I'm assuming that the days have always been 30 hours long. And as we are now we sleep when the sun goes down and get up as it does. But if we were the humans we would be then I'm assuming we would still do the same.

As you say it's more of a habit.

I'd rather not have 30 hours, I mean what if like today I'm having a crap day continously? That'd mean an extra 6 hours to be annoyed, tired and headachy!

Sod that. I vote for 24hours and my vote wins unless God suddenly turns up.

But on the flip-side. On an awesome day you would have 6 extra hours of awesomeness.

It's swings and roundabouts. And I'd quite like an extra 6 hours to play on swings and roundabouts.