N-Europe

Guest Captain Falcon
Anyone seen GT's Best Wii Game of the Year award?

Nominated:

Beatles

CoD 4: Reflex Edition

DJ Hero

MadWorld

DJ Hero

NSMB Wii

Winner: NSMB Wii

Now then... two music games are nominated?! Couldn't they have gone with just one at most? I only own one of all the five titles nominated. Where's the likes of Punch-Out!! and Muramasa...? No disrespect to MadWorld and Reflex because they are the sort of titles that the Wii needs but to me, looking at those five nominees as a whole makes it look like 2009 has been a really dud year for new releases.

Yeah i saw that earlier today. Hardly a true reflection on the games that have come out for the console over the last 12 months.

And where is Metroid Prime Trilogy for crying out loud - admittedly, they didn't review it, but still...

It hasn't been a vintage year for the machine, but there are still better games than those out there.

Glad there are others who share my views- I thought I might be the only person to hate all those music games. It might not have been a vintage year per se, but theres easily been enough gems released to make picking a top five really competitive. The only thing they can be forgiven for leaving out is Another Code seeing as it didn't get released in the States, mwahahaha!

Guest Captain Falcon
Really? Can't say I'm that surprised as I didn't bother watching the overall GOTY because I figured nothing that I'm familiar with would be in contention.

Well I figured they may just through in NSMBW for sake of it since it was only ever going to come down to 2 games and so the rest of list could be anything.

JAPAN SALES

Had a quick look and in its second week FFXIII has dropped to 4th. Mario is back at number 1, Zelda is number 2, and the weird Mii DS game is number 3 - what!?! This game has been out since July and has sold well over 2m copies in japan alone!! That country is weird isn't it :)

Great to see Mario doing incredibly well and a good start for Zelda!! I think by the end NSMB is going to sell over 20m copies world wide. Insane numbers the game's doing.

Japan's Media Create Dec 21-27

01. / 02. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo) - 506,000 / 2,440,000

02. / 00. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) - 291,000 / NEW

03. / 03. [NDS] Friend Collection (Nintendo) - 227,000 / 2,317,000

04. / 01. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix) - 189,000 / 1,690,000

05. / 04. [NDS] Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver (Pokemon) - 125,000 / 3,465,000

06. / 05. [WII] Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo) - 114,000 / 1,315,000

07. / 06. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven 2 Fire/Blizzard (Level 5) - 99,000 / 908,000

08. / 11. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 72,000 / 1,568,000

09. / 12. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii 2 (Bandai Namco) - 64,000 / 200,000

10. / 08. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Flute of Malevolent Spirits (Level 5) - 64,000 / 559,000

11. / 07. [WII] PokePark Wii: Picachu's Great Adventure (Pokemon Co.)

12. / 09. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Sega)

13. / 14. [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)

14. / 16. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)

15. / 13. [NDS] Pen 1 Grand Prix: A Penguin's Trouble Special (Konami)

16. / 18. [PSP] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 (Konami)

17. / 24. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)

18. / 27. [WII] Momotaro Railway 2010: Sengoku Ishin no Hero Daishuugou! no Maki (Hudson)

19. / 20. [WII] Samurai Warriors 3 (Koei)

20. / 15. [PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Gundam Next Plus (Namco Bandai)

21. / 17. [PSP] Naruto: Shippuden Narutimate Accelerator 3 (Namco Bandai)

22. / 22. [NDS] Powerful Pro-Kun Pocket 12 (Konami)

23. / 25. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Narikiri Channel (Namco Bandai)

24. / 19. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Square Enix)

25. / 28. [WII] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo)

26. / 35. [NDS] Doraemon Baseball 2: Nettou Ultra Stadium (Namco Bandai)

27. / 00. [PSP] Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP the Best) (reprint) (Capcom)

28. / 32. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (Square Enix)

29. / 00. [PS2] Little Busters! Converted Edition (Prototype)

30. / 30. [NDS] Metal Fight Beyblade: Bakutan Cyber Pegasus (Hudson)

Really? Can't say I'm that surprised as I didn't bother watching the overall GOTY because I figured nothing that I'm familiar with would be in contention.

Gametraliers were the ones that gave Modern Warfare 1 the best graphics than Crysis.

Multiplatform games should never be nominated for best game on platform X. And while NSMB Wii probably could have gotten nominated for GOTY, there wasn't much else on the Wii that could stand up to the other nominees this year. But as others have said, it wouldn't have won anyway. I wouldn't say GT is anti-nintendo though, their Wii reviews tend to be some of the better ones, and they did give Mario Galaxy the GOTY award in 2007, over CoD4, Halo 3, Bioshock, ect.

Was just having a look through an Argos leaflet I got with my newspapers, and came across the Cyberbike for Wii.

wiicyberbike1.jpg

cyberbike_wii_eur.jpg

Seem's those leaked 'Wii Cycle' screenshots that were posted months ago were not fake. It's £99.99, seem's to be only available at Argos for now and is advertised 'works with Mario Kart Wii!'. :hmm:

I actually really like the concept of this, but I'm not sure what they've come up with in terms of a game is quite enough... would need to know ALOT more about the world/tracks/games etc...

If this had been made by Nintendo and you could cycle around the whole of the Wii Sports/Fit Island and had a range of Wii Sports/Fit style minigames and even some Mario Kart style tracks, then you just know it would be an essential purchase.

But I just don't have the faith in that developer to create something as engaging or fun.

Seriously why is this game so popular?

Basically:

Call of Duty was released on the PC, and was one of the better PC games of its time, resulting it getting praise it deserved.

Call of Duty 2 was one of the few good launch titles for the 360, so alot of the original 360 owners bought it, hearing good things about the series from PC gamers, and the gaming press. And the series took off on the 360 through word of mouth.

Call of Duty 3 sold well on the 360 because of the popularity the last game had built up, and it sold well on the PS3, because it was one of the few good launch titles.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was the first game most people had seen that had a Modern Warfare setting, even though it was far from the first game to have a Modern warfare setting. Not only did it have the popularity of the previous two games (3 if you're looking at the PC) to help sell it, but to most people, it was a revolutionary new concept. To help matters, it had very high production values, and had a huge attention to detail paid to it. It was designed to look epic to the mainstream gamer.

Call of Duty: World at War, the following year, was hyped up as being the next call of duty game (The average person who bought the game, didn't know it was made by a different team), Without it having as high of production values, or having as much attention to detail paid to it, people saw it for what it really was. But really, they just blamed the WW2 setting (This was especially easy for some misinformed PS3 owners, who hadn't played one of Infinity Ward's WW2 CoD games).

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 benefited from the disappointment that came from World at War, as people thought the next game to take place in a Modern Setting (or made by Infinity Ward for the more informed) would be everything CoD4 was, and more. Not only that, but the series had, with the past 5 games, picked up a huge audience. It was getting so popular, that people, who had played little more than CoD games began hyping the series up as being the best games ever, because, it must be, being the only games that they had ever played, right?

But I will say this:

3 days ago, I finally purchased MW2 for the PS3. I've finished the campaign, which was short, and the story really fell apart towards the end. But it was a good game. There were some great missions, and it was very satisfying to play certain parts. Individually, the different bits of the campaign were epic. I can't comment on Spec Opps, yet, as I haven't played much of it, and since I haven't played much of the multiplayer, I'll just say, its fast paced, and satisfying, but compared to something like Bad Company 2, its just not that good.

Yeah and a hundred smackers is a lot to splash out on it. :o
It is, but then a lot of people seem prepared to do it for all the music games, and I guess Tony Hawk did it recently.

If Nintendo had made it, then it would be a solid investment, because it would likely get a decent sequel, and possible implementation elsewhere, but yeah, from an unknown developer, no thanks.

Sega calls it quits with mature games on Wii.

“I have to say that it was a space that was open and we took a gamble on it. It’s like, ‘Wow, there’s no mature games on the Wii. Is there an audience out there?’ We did some research, it said there was an audience out there. I won’t comment about Nintendo, they did champion The Conduit as a ‘this is a Nintendo game.’ And, you know, I think they did okay by us. At the end of the day, I just think that you’re seeing kids are skewing much younger towards next-gen. And that’s what I saw out of Conduit. Because not a bad game, visually it’s appealing, right? AI wasn’t that great. High Voltage’s first real effort as an indie developer, creating their own IP. And it was a good effort, right? And there’s always Conduit 2, right? …Anyone past 12 years old was playing 360 and PS3 shooters. And at that point, you can’t tell a 13 year-old, ‘But it’s on the Wii.’ Forget it, you know? That’s not what they see or hear. They’re not really interested in any techno-fetishist aspects of look how great it is on the Wii…And, you know, the effort that we put behind multiplayer on that game to basically get by friend codes and provide worldwide match-making and so on and so forth, I actually thought we dove too deep…

…Circling back to the whole mature Wii thing, again SEGA took a gamble, we put out some pretty decent content. I mean, House of the Dead: Overkill and MadWorld are great Wii games. They really are, especially House of the Dead: Overkill. That game is funny…Yes [it did better than MadWorld]. I mean they’re both doing okay and at the end of the day we’ll make our numbers, that’s good. Conduit’s done quite well for us. It’s been slow burn. That’s the other thing you find out about the Wii. It’s not necessarily first 3 weeks like most titles. And DS. It’s a longer burn, actually. So panicked at first, but it’s like okay.

But that begs the question, are we going to do more mature titles for the Wii? And it’s like, probably not. Look at Dead Space. We were stunned. That was my litmus test. Basically, it’s like, okay, you got EA, who can put all the marketing muscle behind this, an established franchise that scored quite well on 360 and PS3. They should be able to actually hit this out of the park, right? We get numbers, real numbers aside from NPD, and I’m like, ‘Woah.’†- Constantine Hantzopoulos, studio director at SEGA

Sega calls it quits with mature games on Wii.

evryone knows that dead space bombed because of the worse marketing of a game in history. But to some it up i cant blame sega for calling quits with mature games on the wii. I mean there are allot of nintendo gamers out there (core/hardcore) from the gamecube age, that at least got a wii and a 360/ps3. Why are those guys complaining about the lack of good 3th party (mature) titles and still not buying madword/HotDoK/conduit/dead space extraction? It mostly thanks to those people that the wii2 will end up like the gamecube, A console with vew mature titles.

Is that guy drunk?

In all seriousness though, Sega never actually developed any so-called 'mature' titles, they just published them. And I also don't like how there seems to be a blurring between the notion of a 'mature' game, and that of a high-quality, ground-up core game. They may say they're done with mature games, but that could basically mean all Wii owners will get from them now on is ported Sonic games and out-sourced 'lite' titles.

Sometimes the most inarticulate GoNintendo posters hit the nail on the head best:

But but, but nobody f******' asked for an on rails Dead Space. Nobody.

Indeed.

It's Tomodachi Collection. And it's not weird (well, ok it is a bit weird :heh:) but it looks awesome. :grin:

I would buy it in an instant if it ever got released in Europe, purely to re-create stuff like this...

Hilarious footage of Miyamoto's Mii singing:

:laughing:

JPN Trailer:

I've been reading NGamer's ongoing coverage of this for a few months now, it looks like a riot. I think it has the potential to take off in the West!

Just having a gander at various sales... and the top 20 of the best selling games of all time...18 of them are Nintendo games!!! Crazy! Mario Kart Wii has sold nearly 20m copies, and it's still selling insanely well!!

On the NSMB V MW2 front, NSMB is just over a million behind the 360 version (streets ahead of PS3 version) but is gaining about 700,000 a week on it... drop after xmas and it will prove to be a tight race :) When all is said and done, NSMB will sell more than all of the MW2 version put together

ya why was dead space ex actually made? It boggles me really.

It's a game wii owners haven't heard, plus no marketing, plus an archaic game design rail shooter

how did they expect this to sell very well?

It's all about building a franchise. The conduit should be allowed to continue as a series and have improvements everytime but gamers on wii will always compare it to the best 360 titles and scoff it off despite games like killzone 1 being a load of arse on the first attempt despite hype and getting a sequel which improved everything. Granted it was on the next gen console but still.

Gamers like to see 2s and 3s next to their titles it reasures them that THIS title will be improved over the last and THIS game was good enough to get a sequel. thats my opinion.