Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

No one can say for definite what the new hardware will be like. Ideally, you'll want a good system so that you can get the cross-platform games and still get the exclusives.

Thing is, Nintendo gamers have never really had it amazing in terms of multiplatform games. The N64 alienated quite a lot of third parties. The Cube improved things on that front, and I think the Wii is around about the same. Having third parties give you exclusive games is not a bad thing. Look at No More Heroes. A good example of a quality third party title, and the sequel looks to be better. At the same time, yeah, we didn't get Re5 whereas it appeared on both the PS3 and 360. Wasn't there a quote from Capcom quite a while back where they claimed that they could potentially make a version of 5 for the Wii? It would require re-working. I think it depends on the individual game whether or not it requires a complete "butchering" or not, though.

I think games like Monster Hunter and Galaxy show what the Wii is capable of. At the moment, given the direction that Capcom have gone with Resident Evil (down the action shooter route - which apparantly they will also be taking Dead Space down now...) I can't say I'm slitting my wrists over the lack of Resident Evil 5.

hope the next console has some horsepower, because i would love to see a mario or a zelda game with 360/ps3 graphics(think thats what evryone wants:laughing:) But i do agree for 10 year old hardware im indeed very impressed with galaxy and monsterhunter they show what the wii can do in terms of graphics. MOnsterhunter makes me extremely curious to how the next zelda on the wii is going to look.

Really bothered that 3rd partys dispite the 70 million wiis on the market (almost the userbase of the 360 and ps3 combined) treat the wii like crap. Last gen the ps2 had the biggest userbase and the most exclusives, what happened to that logic?

hope the next console has some horsepower, because i would love to see a mario or a zelda game with 360/ps3 graphics(think thats what evryone wants:laughing:) But i do agree for 10 year old hardware im indeed very impressed with galaxy and monsterhunter they show what the wii can do in terms of graphics. MOnsterhunter makes me extremely curious to how the next zelda on the wii is going to look.

Really bothered that 3rd partys dispite the 70 million wiis on the market (almost the userbase of the 360 and ps3 combined) treat the wii like crap. Last gen the ps2 had the biggest userbase and the most exclusives, what happened to that logic?

There's always this talk of wanting better graphics and stuff. Yet, I thought Galaxy and Twilight Princess were gorgeous games. It's not as if each game looks like it should be a Game&Watch title! There's this obsession these days that we need bigger and better graphics. I just wonder where it's going to go. Photo-realism? Would you want to play a photo-realistic Mario?

Hmm, you also have to remember that the PS2 had a good head start on it's rivals. Also, it had its fair share of shovelware, too. If you go back and look through the PS2's catalogue, there will be the standout games, but there will also be a high proportion of shovelware to go with it. There's a number of reasons why third parties aren't being "nicer" with the Wii. I've mentioned before that on Nintendo systems, the games which draw users in are always Nintendo's own games. There's a crowd that will just play MARIO ZELDA, literally. How many third party games sold particularly well on the Cube anyway? I'd like to look at some data for that.

Quite a few games have done well, anyway. Monster Hunter is having a great spell, Silent Hill shows that there is an audience for this, etc. The trouble is that some of the stellar third party games tend to be...games that will struggle to sell by the bucketload on any system. Dead Space Extraction was a quality game that got overlooked because it was an "on-rails shooter." I'm pretty sure No More Heroes was Suda's best selling game to date? Again, not a title for everyone. Neither was Killer7 on the Cube.

The games can sell. But, they won't sell themselves. Although, I bet that if the retail price of Wii games was around 20 quid, we'd see a bigger number of owners buying games. Gamers seem put off paying full price for games, whereas perhaps they're more willing on other systems. Maybe that's why Wii games have "legs." Because they sell more in the longrun when the prices get dropped further and further. That's what I think, although you may disagree.

There's always this talk of wanting better graphics and stuff. Yet, I thought Galaxy and Twilight Princess were gorgeous games. It's not as if each game looks like it should be a Game&Watch title! There's this obsession these days that we need bigger and better graphics. I just wonder where it's going to go. Photo-realism? Would you want to play a photo-realistic Mario?

It's just progression really, we naturally want everything to be improved. I for one would love improved graphics, the reason people want better graphics is because it draws them in and makes the experience a whole lot better. I don't think anyone would want a photo realistic Mario but imagine a Mario game that had graphics similar to a Disney Pixar film!

The games can sell. But, they won't sell themselves. Although, I bet that if the retail price of Wii games was around 20 quid, we'd see a bigger number of owners buying games. Gamers seem put off paying full price for games, whereas perhaps they're more willing on other systems. Maybe that's why Wii games have "legs." Because they sell more in the longrun when the prices get dropped further and further. That's what I think, although you may disagree.

I always did think, considering how much cheaper it's supposedly meant to be to make games on Wii, that the standard retail price should have been £30.

Can I send you mine for a service? :grin:

Haha, that would be a funny idea. I could set up a page where people can see before and after pictures of their controllers, and maybe videos whilst I clean them.

I have eet allllll figured out!

It's just progression really, we naturally want everything to be improved. I for one would love improved graphics, the reason people want better graphics is because it draws them in and makes the experience a whole lot better. I don't think anyone would want a photo realistic Mario but imagine a Mario game that had graphics similar to a Disney Pixar film!

Oh yes, it definitely is progression. But, it really can be quite an obsession with a lot of people. Even with films, too. Sometimes the best looking films don't always turn out as the best ones. My point still stands though, where will it go or where will it end? If a generation lasts about 6 years, then in 20 years we could have moved on 3 generations by then...it's a scary but exciting yet perplexing thought.

I always did think, considering how much cheaper it's supposedly meant to be to make games on Wii, that the standard retail price should have been £30.

Yeah, or even a few quid cheaper than that. Yet, a lot of people tend to find great deals online for games. I paid around 24 quid for Silent Hill brand new, then 30 quid for Red Steel 2 with the Motion Plus. I'm happy paying those sorts of prices.

I still don't own Mario Kart, mainly because it's about 35 quid + in most places. :(

I still don't own Mario Kart, mainly because it's about 35 quid + in most places. :(

£26.85

The prospect of improved graphics doesn't excite me anymore. I'm more than happy with what the PS2 could produce. If anything the limited hardware got developers to actually but effort into their work and you ended up with something with much more feeling. Now any game can look spectacular with the simplest of touches. Blacksite and Turok look much better than Halo and Killzone, but they're not better by a long shot.

The best example I can give you on this is the Star Wars films.

The fact that the technology was limited made everyone push themselves as far as they could. And now we have a memorable, classic trilogy. Once they had the technology, they proceeded to make the worst film ever made.

Gentlemen. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first photo realistic video game. But it doesn't mean it will be any good.

£26.85

The prospect of improved graphics doesn't excite me anymore. I'm more than happy with what the PS2 could produce. If anything the limited hardware got developers to actually but effort into their work and you ended up with something with much more feeling. Now any game can look spectacular with the simplest of touches. Blacksite and Turok look much better than Halo and Killzone, but they're not better by a long shot.

The best example I can give you on this is the Star Wars films.

The fact that the technology was limited made everyone push themselves as far as they could. And now we have a memorable, classic trilogy. Once they had the technology, they proceeded to make the worst film ever made.

Gentlemen. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first photo realistic video game. But it doesn't mean it will be any good.

Ooo, that's a good price. Nice one. I'm skint though...cmaaaan paydaaaay.

I agree with the Star Wars example. The new ones suffer from crappy script-writing, though. Terrible directing.

The good thing with technology is that now you can create bigger and more detailed worlds where you can get lost within. Looking at Xenoblades, that seems like a world I definitely want to get lost in! The lands look vast and each landscape looks authentic and special in its own right. I would prefer that the technology gets used on this, along with providing good AI in games, more fluid animations and overall just better mechanics. These are all the things that make games much more entertaining, in my opinion.

One thing I think is often under-rated is storytelling in games. When I play a Zelda game, I look for those wow moments. Like in Ocarina of Time where you learn about the 3 Goddesses, same thing in Twilight Princess, and also where you learn about how the Mirror gets shattered. Now, with storytelling, you don't neccessarily need technology for that. It can be a great tool, but it's just down to one's own creativity. People are all good storytellers, it's in our nature to be this way.

One thing I think is often under-rated is storytelling in games. When I play a Zelda game, I look for those wow moments. Like in Ocarina of Time where you learn about the 3 Goddesses, same thing in Twilight Princess, and also where you learn about how the Mirror gets shattered. Now, with storytelling, you don't neccessarily need technology for that. It can be a great tool, but it's just down to one's own creativity. People are all good storytellers, it's in our nature to be this way.

For those who are interested and have a free afternoon, go play seiklus. It's a free adventure/exploration game but the real beauty with it is there is no dialogue. Despite this, it manages to tell a really magnificent story, and is known for its "design over technology" mentality.

Hmm, you also have to remember that the PS2 had a good head start on it's rivals. Also, it had its fair share of shovelware, too. If you go back and look through the PS2's catalogue, there will be the standout games, but there will also be a high proportion of shovelware to go with it. There's a number of reasons why third parties aren't being "nicer" with the Wii. I've mentioned before that on Nintendo systems, the games which draw users in are always Nintendo's own games. There's a crowd that will just play MARIO ZELDA, literally. How many third party games sold particularly well on the Cube anyway? I'd like to look at some data for that.

Quite a few games have done well, anyway. Monster Hunter is having a great spell, Silent Hill shows that there is an audience for this, etc. The trouble is that some of the stellar third party games tend to be...games that will struggle to sell by the bucketload on any system. Dead Space Extraction was a quality game that got overlooked because it was an "on-rails shooter." I'm pretty sure No More Heroes was Suda's best selling game to date? Again, not a title for everyone. Neither was Killer7 on the Cube.

No i dont want a photorealistic mario, that would be awefull. But hosepower doesnt nessesairly mean better graphics, it can also mean bigger landscapes and better AI of you enemies.

Mario, red steel 2, metroid and Monsterhunter tri all look awesome on my tv (dispite the jaggies). But for some reason twilight princess looks all muddy and low resy, and yea i know its a gamecube game but it really looks fuzzy.

And about the price of the games i totally agree if the max price of the game was 30 to 40 euros, to ask 60 euro for a wii title (almost the price of a 360/ps3 title) is absurd.

Hate to be a buzz kill but they're basing that off of Nintendo's financial forecast where it listed up and coming games for Japan, the US and Europe. And that Kirby title mentioned in that forecast has continued to appear on their listings since about 2005/2006. So either there have been some serious issues with the development of the game (can't have been really considering it's rumoured to be the game that started on the Gamecube which had quite a lot developed already) or they keep misprinting and forgetting to take it off of the list.

But I do suspect that there will be a Kirby game on the Wii. With all the rumours of a classic franchise coming back recently and both ONM and Nintendo Power talking about a big exclusive, it's likely.

Hate to be a buzz kill but they're basing that off of Nintendo's financial forecast where it listed up and coming games for Japan, the US and Europe. And that Kirby title mentioned in that forecast has continued to appear on their listings since about 2005/2006. So either there have been some serious issues with the development of the game (can't have been really considering it's rumoured to be the game that started on the Gamecube which had quite a lot developed already) or they keep misprinting and forgetting to take it off of the list.

But I do suspect that there will be a Kirby game on the Wii. With all the rumours of a classic franchise coming back recently and both ONM and Nintendo Power talking about a big exclusive, it's likely.

Yeah exactly. And they haven't mentioned it before. Surely they are mentioning it because they know it is finally coming out once and for all...

^ Well, I'm suspect about anything ONM mentions. God forgive them they've tried to make up for the NiGHTs debacle but that really was one of the biggest cock ups I've seen in a magazine ever.

'Yeh, you guessed right. It is indeed NiGHTs. Unfortunately, we don't have to exclusive but if you buy our sister magazine you can read all about it.' :nono:

I am very much aware of the ongoing appearance of a Kirby game on such release date lists.

However,

THE OFFICIAL NINTENDO MAGAZINE has now stated it as fact, so they are either naive or are HIV-positive about it:laughing:

scan0003.jpg

If we all think it to happen, IT BLOODY WELL WILL!!!

Wii-ked.

I'm sure Fused King will be happy. Although he always seems happy...

It's the dancing Kirby mate,

the feng shui-creator of the internet.

If we all think it to happen, IT BLOODY WELL WILL!!!

So where's Kid Icarus Wii then? Granted, Kirby is more likely to get a new release than Kid Icarus but Nintendo fans have been asking for Kid Icarus for a long time now, more so than Kirby. But yeh, I think we'll see Kirby at some point. I've love a Canvas Curse type 2d platformer on the Wii.

Marcel please check out the Xenoblade topic.

Full transcript of Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata Q&A session of an investors briefing last week.

On Surprises

Someone asked Iwata if Nintendo will have any other E3 surprises aside from 3DS. Responded Iwata, "I can't say if there will or will not be surprises. If, for example, I said, 'there will be a surprise,' there wouldn't be any meaning, as everyone would be disappointed because of anticipation being exceedingly high."

Edited by Dante

Hi peeps :blush:

I'm new. :red:

So Hello! Nice to meet you! :grin:

Needing a little advice

please could you help me?!?

I am ashamed to admit I'm usually a PC gamer :sad: and I have only recently ventured into the world of Nintendo consoles.

I now own a Wii and soon a DS!!!

I was wondering if you could advise me on recommended game for Wii. As all I hear about are daft games like 'Cockin Mama' or Wii fit and its many dribblesome derivitives... I'm simply not interested.::shrug:

Thanks fellow forumers :D

Hi peeps :blush:

I'm new. :red:

So Hello! Nice to meet you! :grin:

Needing a little advice

please could you help me?!?

I am ashamed to admit I'm usually a PC gamer :sad: and I have only recently ventured into the world of Nintendo consoles.

I now own a Wii and soon a DS!!!

I was wondering if you could advise me on recommended game for Wii. As all I hear about are daft games like 'Cockin Mama' or Wii fit and its many dribblesome derivitives... I'm simply not interested.::shrug:

Thanks fellow forumers :D

While I'm sure plenty of people are about to jump in screaming "SMASH BROS YARP?" and "mARI00 GaL4xY", which admittedly both great games, lets just take a second and say; welcome, nice to have you on board. If there a particular genre of game you like? What do you enjoy on the PC?

Oh, and there is shame in liking PC games soldier! I only play them at the moment, haven't touched my Wii in around 10 months... mostly because it is still on the other side of the planet.

While I'm sure plenty of people are about to jump in screaming "SMASH BROS YARP?" and "mARI00 GaL4xY", which admittedly both great games, lets just take a second and say; welcome, nice to have you on board. If there a particular genre of game you like? What do you enjoy on the PC?

Oh, and there is shame in liking PC games soldier! I only play them at the moment, haven't touched my Wii in around 10 months... mostly because it is still on the other side of the planet.

My PC tastes vary widely from Deus Ex to Dungeon Keeper 2, Spellforce to Monkey Island series. Plus I'm an old school master system and game gear player.. so sonic and alex kidd are in my heart.

My only taste for nintendo must have been when I was a wee youngun' and I had a gameboy and played sup mario land.

My shame is only felt as a consequence of writing in a 'nintendo' forum and I am but a novice in the wise ways. heehee! ;)