Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Jobs

Rummy

So, my first thread for a very long while(and not the one I've been meaning to post) but I'm at a bit of a loss really. I finished my degree this year in May, since which point I have done nothing but bum about wasting time on silly girls and mainly being out consuming sizeable amounts of alcohol with friends whilst working part time in between. However, said friends are now going away back to their sensible productive lives, I've come to terms with the silly of said girls, and as for drinking, well apparently it's no fun to be drinking alone. I need to get a life, or at least do something sensible and productive with mine!

So, I think I should probably look to get a job(and maybe move out for a bit, as I've lived at home for all my degree). I have two problems though; Firstly, I have no idea what I want to do and Secondly, I have no idea where to even start looking. I do already have a part time job as and when I can get the work in it, but I'm looking to actually do something with my freshly acquired degree, which for the record is a BSc in Psychology. I'm not looking for anything forever, in fact, I'm rather keen on getting something kind of short term, but as I said I don't know where to start, and I have no idea about actually applying for proper serious jobs(I'm sure it's not like waltzing into your local GAME and handing them a CV).

So basically, some of you guys out there must have jobs, degree level ones maybe, or know the processes of getting such a job. I'm basically looking for ideas of where to start, how to go about it, and how it should all be done. If it helps, Psychology is such a broad degree I can go into alot of fields, and I've noticed there's a few people who've studied/are studying Psychology on here so I thought the thread might be handy.

So...erm...yeah, I'm useless and at a loss, is there anybody out there who can help me? I've got some ideas of what I'm after, but I won't make this thread all about me(hopefully it might be handy to anyone else in a similar position, or who will be in a year or two).

Specifically for Psychology, I'm sure there is a website out there that'll be just for jobs in that sector. I'll have a look and see if I can find such a website because as I'm currently studying what you've just finished I'd like some internship/work placement experience. Also, you've got your degree so I'm guessing you are part of the British Psychological Society and if you are their website should have job listings for available vacancies. If you find stuff, it'll basically be a case of sending them a CV with a letter saying you'd be interested in the job and it'll go from there like any normal job application.

I've got some ideas of what I'm after

So what are you after? Sadly, being a new graduate rarely gets you the best jobs straight away. Are you wanting to go into Psychology or something else? Depending on the area where you live it varies how hard it is to get into it.

Really you need at least some idea of what area you'd like to work in.

Specifically for Psychology, I'm sure there is a website out there that'll be just for jobs in that sector. I'll have a look and see if I can find such a website because as I'm currently studying what you've just finished I'd like some internship/work placement experience. Also, you've got your degree so I'm guessing you are part of the British Psychological Society and if you are their website should have job listings for available vacancies. If you find stuff, it'll basically be a case of sending them a CV with a letter saying you'd be interested in the job and it'll go from there like any normal job application.

Ah, first port of call would be to join them! I filled the form in back in May, but I don't think I ever sent it off, which means it's floating about somewhere. I was really slack with everything since finishing because I just wanted a break from it all! I tried my careers service a few times after I finished but it was late and like 2 weeks before I couldn't use it anymore, and they kept being closed when I turned up so I gave up then. I'm determined to get my arse into gear now though. Your help and info is appreciated!

Okay, guess this is turning into a psychology thing. There are a few websites, the BPS and psyclick. Assuming you want to go into Clinical, I have to say generally it's a right bitch to get into. For jobs there is the nhs jobs site, bps and a site called indeed.com which is a good collection site. Finding a way of getting a foot in the door is very hard though. Here's the tip, be VERY persistent, write to psychologist, find the listings on bps site and on jobs advertised on nhs jobs. Get as much cv and covering letter advise as possible and dont expect it to happen overly quickly to get into it. Psychologists have drawers full of cvs so yours has to really stand out. I sent out so many cvs i couldnt remember the people who eventually contacted me back months later.

So what are you after? Sadly, being a new graduate rarely gets you the best jobs straight away. Are you wanting to go into Psychology or something else? Depending on the area where you live it varies how hard it is to get into it.

Really you need at least some idea of what area you'd like to work in.

I was hoping you might stop by after I read your post in the suicide thread, I was about to PM you as it happens! When I started my degree and still at the moment, I half planned to get into counselling eventually. I've not looked into it too much but a few people said a good way would be to go back and do further study, but I'm not keen on that right now as they also told me it's expensive and long. I feel like getting out there and working and getting something practical with my degree, experience related to it, thus a job I can get with it. As you may have read I currently work very part time in an acute psychiatric ward, but that's as a HCA, I don't know what sort of possibilities are open to me in a mental health setting with a degree in psychology. I don't know alot about it, but I also don't know where to find out either which leaves me in a problematic situation. I saw an internal posting within Oxleas(NHS healthcare trust I work for) for a job as an assistant psychologist in CAMHS locally, temporary for a year, but the problem is it wanted experience at least a year's experience with children, which I didn't have. I'm not entirely sure how keen I am on working with the same sort of demographic I currently do either but which I obviously have experience with, but I could deal with it if it's short term and I get some experience at degree level/relevant to the degree. I imagine it would be applicable to other fields depending on circumstance and whatnot.

However, I'm open to alot of ideas, I know that the degree has broad applications and can stretch quite far(namely due to the research component). I remember seeing a job with Nintendo a few years back that I could have got with a psychology degree(i was obviously still studying then so no go) due to the SPSS and research component. I'm totally open to any sorts of ideas of the range of applications it has at degree level jobs, or anywhere I can find out some more clear and helpful information.

Ah, first port of call would be to join them! I filled the form in back in May, but I don't think I ever sent it off, which means it's floating about somewhere. I was really slack with everything since finishing because I just wanted a break from it all! I tried my careers service a few times after I finished but it was late and like 2 weeks before I couldn't use it anymore, and they kept being closed when I turned up so I gave up then. I'm determined to get my arse into gear now though. Your help and info is appreciated!

believe it or not, you don't have to be a bps member at all just 'eligable to be' - sounds silly but i know loads of psychologist / assistant psychologists who aren't members - i'm not anymore, rip off membership fees.

I'm trying to find jobs related to my course, but also finding a normal job which is obviously more common only for the monies.

I already have a job, which they've decreased my hours, when enquiring about more they give the there's no to give, credit crunch bollocks, but give someone else more hours and more days. I'm certain they want me to quit.

Hmmm I think im in a similar boat to you rummy. Ive finsihed my degree and am back at home at the moment and have spent the majority of summer wasting my time on silly girls and consuming large amounts of alcohol whilst working behind a bar, I do need to get a proper job but im not sure what in. Im thinking of maybe going travelling for a while and trying to decide then but I dont know to be honest.

Hmmm I think im in a similar boat to you rummy. Ive finsihed my degree and am back at home at the moment and have spent the majority of summer wasting my time on silly girls and consuming large amounts of alcohol whilst working behind a bar, I do need to get a proper job but im not sure what in. Im thinking of maybe going travelling for a while and trying to decide then but I dont know to be honest.

Heh, I was considering the travelling thing too, but monies ain't so flowing and my laziness means I haven't got that sorted either! I know it'd mean just putting off getting a job too, so this is why I'd like to try and get a degree level job for a year or two or something, move out, save some monies, then take a break with travelling, holiday whatever, then maybe look for doing further study. Anyway, this thread isn't just for me or just for Psychology. What degree have you done and what have you got in mind for a job? Throw it out there and see if anyone might be able to help point you in the right direction you wanna go!

If you want to go travelling do it sooner rather than later. If you start a 'proper' job the chances are you'll get into it, start progressing and it won't make sense to leave.

My main advice would be wait for a job to come up you really want, don't just take the first things that come along or, like a lot of my friends, you can get stuck there. I dossed about all summer last year waiting for something to come up, my parents got a little annoyed but at the end of it I moved back out and into a great job where things are going very nicely.

There are very good graduate opportunities out there if you're willing to look for them.

Wow, being called a legend...weird. Especially coming from someone I think is pretty legendary themselves(which I actually mean, now it just seems like I'm saying it for saying its sake). However, whilst it cheers me up immensely, I don't think it helps me much on the job front. I *am* mighty tempted by the staying part-time thing, but I think it's sensible and healthy to try out a life for a while, I can't stand too much of my own company at the present moment, or my environment, so I'm thinking it'd be good to get out and do something in the new year!

As it happens, I actually have my eye on something shor-term and possibly a little bit perfect(I won't reveal what it is yet until I get all applied and stuff) but I think I should probably get onto producing a proper good CV and stuff, then writing a cover letter for it too, which I've never done before and am not sure about doing, but I'll hit the google and scout tinternets :)

Wow, being called a legend...weird. Especially coming from someone I think is pretty legendary themselves(which I actually mean, now it just seems like I'm saying it for saying its sake). However, whilst it cheers me up immensely, I don't think it helps me much on the job front. I *am* mighty tempted by the staying part-time thing, but I think it's sensible and healthy to try out a life for a while, I can't stand too much of my own company at the present moment, or my environment, so I'm thinking it'd be good to get out and do something in the new year!

As it happens, I actually have my eye on something shor-term and possibly a little bit perfect(I won't reveal what it is yet until I get all applied and stuff) but I think I should probably get onto producing a proper good CV and stuff, then writing a cover letter for it too, which I've never done before and am not sure about doing, but I'll hit the google and scout tinternets :)

A) Thank you. And you truly are.

B) You need help with CV making? Well....this isn't help, but my friend is in the same situation as you, and he wrote a (quite) amusing story about it on his blog. scroll down to "First post - Random Ponderings, Relationships, Liam Neeson not dying and stalking." for CV story.

I'd say to have at least:

Important details

ALL qualifications

Jobs and current job (for future reference)

I'd also say for each job to write underneathe a small paragraph of things you learned from it. Like my job at dragontone I learnt sage and then learnt it and passed it at college.

Hoobies/interests/anything that may may them like you. Like I enjoy social activities.

Also cover lettters are quite important. So that it's address to the manager or whoever happens to read it, otherwise they can end up in the bin.

I've been looking for a while through the internet sites and shop windows. My only problem is that all the places seem to be looking for experience which is a pain because I do not have any retail experience since I am still in Sixth Form. My only work experience so far is a week at a bank.

So any advice for people like who are looking for their first jobs? :(

I've been looking for a while through the internet sites and shop windows. My only problem is that all the places seem to be looking for experience which is a pain because I do not have any retail experience since I am still in Sixth Form. My only work experience so far is a week at a bank.

I was in your boat once, I basically caned every single shop I fancied working in, or even didn't fancy working in, with CVs. Try out any sort of jobcenters around you too, though ironically the place I got my job was the first place I handed a CV into, and I spent about 3 days afterwards handing out CVs and doing jobcenter stuff etc. A good CV will probably be what you need most, something that really does the job to get you noticed for what you wanna be doing, just have a good look round really and apply everywhere. It IS rather gay that so many places want experience, especially when you have none, but if you keep trying you'll eventually manage to get something. Maybe if you're feeling bold enough, apply to somewhere that asks for experience and tell them you don't have any, but are well keen and enthusiastic etc. No guarantees that'll work though :P

I have a similar problem. Except that my job experience is a decent amount of time in a job that was ace at the time, but I find it hard to explain in a way that's relevant to any job that I have my sights on.

I basically managed the website of an online store (adding products from distributors, making alterations to the code, creating adverts, etc) so I could make it sound great if I wanted a job in Web Design - the big problem is that I don't actually know how to design or program websites...I kind of got my job on a lie (but not my lie, someone else created a website for out Young Enterprise company but lied and said I did it to make the company appear more professional) so that line of work is not really an option.

I've been applying to a load of retail/office stuff for over a month now...no luck. Not even one measly job interview.

I have a similar problem. Except that my job experience is a decent amount of time in a job that was ace at the time, but I find it hard to explain in a way that's relevant to any job that I have my sights on.

I basically managed the website of an online store (adding products from distributors, making alterations to the code, creating adverts, etc) so I could make it sound great if I wanted a job in Web Design - the big problem is that I don't actually know how to design or program websites...I kind of got my job on a lie (but not my lie, someone else created a website for out Young Enterprise company but lied and said I did it to make the company appear more professional) so that line of work is not really an option.

I've been applying to a load of retail/office stuff for over a month now...no luck. Not even one measly job interview.

It's about spin. Your CV should be flexible! Don't be afraid to alter it from application to application. Nip and tuck the attributes; pick up on not just what you did in your previous experience, but what it taught you about yourself.

You sound like you encountered responsibility in managing product distribution. It may sound like you've sewn a few tassels onto a simple task, but hey! That's the line you gotta stitch these days.

Altering code becomes quality assurance, or content editing, again with responsibility on your hands with ensuring the language used on teh site fits. Don't be afraid to throw some numbers around if they're impressive enough (site traffic; monthly net earnings).

Creating adverts is dressed up as confident with image manipulation software, or some wafty mention of having 'an eye for proportions' or whatnot.

Having your figurative hand in the figurative purse of the website can portray trustworthiness to prospective employers.

For office stuff, if it's along the lines of administration, then you need to put an 'organisational' coat onto your experience.

Of course! Do not lie. Your choice of words is vital, because they need to be a tinge ironic (in the sense that you're sounding like you're a maestro, but in no certain terms have you said anything besides the basics), and thus with any luck you will at least sound like the sort of person they want to work with. Because the truth is there are a crapload of jobs that anyone can do with a few weeks of adjusting time.

As a warning I suppose I should mention I've only ever really had one job, and on my application form under "biggest achievement?" I put "earning second prize in a beauty contest in Monopoly", so clearly they don't really read everything.

My business studies teacher told me how he selected which applicant for the opening. He basically took the massive stack of cvs/applications, chucked them in the air and called the numbers on the six forms that landed on his coffee table in for an interview. The guy who got the job went on to become the head of 6th form at the school, so clearly the world runs on odd socks.

(I wanted to work in some reference to an actual needle in that, but as it turned out I think I did ok.)

EDIT: Wow, longer than I thought.

I kinda want a job, cause I think I may as well. But I don't need one. I get 50 quid a month, which does me fine, and I dont need to buy my own clothes, unless I see something where I know I wont be back to or whatever.

I want to work in the Disney Store.

I kinda want a job, cause I think I may as well. But I don't need one. I get 50 quid a month, which does me fine, and I dont need to buy my own clothes, unless I see something where I know I wont be back to or whatever.

I want to work in the Disney Store.

I used to get that back in the days when I went to college. (a good 3 years ago) I bet it doesn't get you too far!

I don't think I could go back to living on such pittance (comparatively speaking) but I really hate working full time :heh:

Never happy eh.