N-Europe

Would You Say You've Had A Good Life? (So Far....)

ReZourceman

So yeah I was talking to a friend at work today, and one thing led to another and comments started to be made and we got onto (well...this subject)

So we'll allow a bit of "woe is me" in this thread, but hopefully they aren't all negative. Sorry if this makes you feel bad, but I think it could be a compelling subject to discuss.

Thus discuss.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

I think this ties in well with the whole armageddon we didn't just experience, and as I said there, I reckon I could end it all right now without any major regrets. I feel like I'm at one of the highest points of my life(from what it's been so far), but it's all about to start going a little bit less good(well, it already has since the weekend!) and so yes is my answer, I've had a good life. I guess I never really did anything amazing or spectacular, but I've enjoyed it on the whole, and I was happy with it all, I think i was actually content and happy with what I had. I just had a rather excellent summer too, it's been fantastic! Lots of people say what about this and that blah blah, like, the things I haven't done such as have a proper job, have a family, have a house, but I just feel like it doesn't matter cos I've not even started on a path to them yet, so it's irrelevant like? I dunno, tis weird.

P.S Not suicidal, I fear I seem it.

Its been alright, I'd have to say. It's good at the mo cos i've settled down witht the one I love in a lovely house and there is talks about starting our own wee family. But money probs and the fact I feel down quite a lot of the time about myself puts a damper on my life.

There is so much I want to do with my life, but will i ever be brave enough to do it?? Thats the question I would love an answer to.

Considering I could have been born in a completely different landscape or time I'm bloody glad that I was a 1980's Brit child. Woo!

Everything has been great so far tbh. I have my health, safety and people around me that care. Only the many failed relationships and lost friends/family seem to scar what has been a bloody great time :p

More good and bad times to come. But at least I have water and food in quantiful supply. Can't twist really.

I can say now that I've had a good life, I've travelled, I've got the best step-mum in the world as well as a great immediate family, I've had some good and bad friends, I'm lucky enough to go to uni, what more could I want?

Life's not always been good, just like everybody else. My mum died when I was little and all the complications that came around the time she died which led me to not have a set of grandparents. But karen my step-mum came along. I had a bad time at high school (I mean who doesn't these days?) and had a set of crappy friends, same with the first year of college.

I've had bad boyfriends, nice boyfriends, clingy boyfriends etc. But I've also had love and everything that goes with that.

Lifes abit up and down, but for now it's a resounding yes ^_^

I can say now that I've had a good life, I've travelled, I've got the best step-mum in the world as well as a great immediate family, I've had some good and bad friends, I'm lucky enough to go to uni, what more could I want?

Life's not always been good, just like everybody else. My mum died when I was little and all the complications that came around the time she died which led me to not have a set of grandparents. But karen my step-mum came along. I had a bad time at high school (I mean who doesn't these days?) and had a set of crappy friends, same with the first year of college.

I've had bad boyfriends, nice boyfriends, clingy boyfriends etc. But I've also had love and everything that goes with that.

Lifes abit up and down, but for now it's a resounding yes ^_^

Ive just got my first ever proper girlfriend, she seems almost perfect. Just a bit quiet, and gets pushed around easily.

I don't really want to talk about some things that happened when i was little, but its no match to losing your mum =[ Do you remember anything about her?

Ive just got my first ever proper girlfriend, she seems almost perfect. Just a bit quiet, and gets pushed around easily.

I don't really want to talk about some things that happened when i was little, but its no match to losing your mum =[ Do you remember anything about her?

You can probably understand then that it's not something I want to discuss, not only that but I know of things happening to others are far worse, so it seems alittle rude to blurt out and make it seem like the end of the world.

/story

It depends how you quantify a 'good life', really.

Mine has been an easy life. Nothing particularly bad has happened to me, I haven't had to face any notable hardships, and I've been brought up in a nice area within a financially comfortable household. There are no doubt millions of people around the world that would give anything to have lived my life; frankly they'd no doubt do a better job, too.

I'm miserable and alone. I think too much, fill up my days with imaginary problems, all the time wishing that something bad had happened to me as at least then I'd have an excuse for feeling so shit all the time. I know that's a terrible thing to say, and obviously it's just a thought that pops into my head as opposed to something I genuinely want, but I'm just trying to be honest.

I don't have any event to use as a shield from responsibility, or a sob story to wheel out as an explanation for my terminal mediocrity. I've nothing to hide behind, so I've had to face the truth: the only thing screwing my life up is me. I'm not a strong enough person to deal with the guilt and responsibility that comes with such a realisation, so, bizarrely, I envy those with something to use as an excuse. Which in turn makes me feel worse, as even if I don't mean to I'm belittling the hardships of others.

So, my life has been good, but the person living it is an idiot that's ruining the whole thing.

It depends how you quantify a 'good life', really.

Mine has been an easy life. Nothing particularly bad has happened to me, I haven't had to face any notable hardships, and I've been brought up in a nice area within a financially comfortable household. There are no doubt millions of people around the world that would give anything to have lived my life; frankly they'd no doubt do a better job, too.

I'm miserable and alone. I think too much, fill up my days with imaginary problems, all the time wishing that something bad had happened to me as at least then I'd have an excuse for feeling so shit all the time. I know that's a terrible thing to say, and obviously it's just a thought that pops into my head as opposed to something I genuinely want, but I'm just trying to be honest.

I don't have any event to use as a shield from responsibility, or a sob story to wheel out as an explanation for my terminal mediocrity. I've nothing to hide behind, so I've had to face the truth: the only thing screwing my life up is me. I'm not a strong enough person to deal with the guilt and responsibility that comes with such a realisation, so, bizarrely, I envy those with something to use as an excuse. Which in turn makes me feel worse, as even if I don't mean to I'm belittling the hardships of others.

So, my life has been good, but the person living it is an idiot that's ruining the whole thing.

Yeah, now I feel bad for starting the thread. ;)

But seriously, theres nothing I can say to make you feel better, but I do feel for you. You're a good chap, if its any consolation. (My opinion is essential to some)

Oh, don't worry about it, I can just be uncomfortably honest. There's certainly no need for sympathy and consolation as — and you might see a theme arising here — it's all of my own doing.

Besides, it isn't like I don't have happy days or can't enjoy things, it's just that by default I feel bad. But you get used to it, in a way; I can't remember a time when things haven't been as they are, so I don't recall how green the grass is on the other side. Most of the time I can hide it or find the funny side in feeling crap for no real reason, it's only now and then that it sneaks up on me before I've a chance to fight back. It sounds worse than it is.

You can probably understand then that it's not something I want to discuss, not only that but I know of things happening to others are far worse, so it seems alittle rude to blurt out and make it seem like the end of the world.

/story

Ok, i wont bring it up.

Your right, there are people with worse problems.

In terms of family life, I've had a good life - my mum and dad are still together, nice family unit, enough money to live happily.

Growing up was pretty rubbish for me in all honesty, I got picked on a lot for my skin condition. I moved to this country in p6, and for two years I had no friends, even the teachers were very hard on me.

My health is absolutely down the pan right at this moment, but soon I should be okay, thanks to the wonders of modern medicine. Well I have to face the fact that I WILL be on meds for the rest of my life.

But all the shit above has made me into a far better and more mature adult. I consider everyone's feelings. I never look down on people, or treat them as shit for the way they look. And more recently I've come into my own me, really since I started dying my hair. I have few friends, but the ones I do have are pretty valuable to me =)

So overall I'd say I was pretty happy. I feel that people should take bad things in their life and try and turn them into good things.

In terms of family life, I've had a good life - my mum and dad are still together, nice family unit, enough money to live happily.

Growing up was pretty rubbish for me in all honesty, I got picked on a lot for my skin condition. I moved to this country in p6, and for two years I had no friends, even the teachers were very hard on me.

My health is absolutely down the pan right at this moment, but soon I should be okay, thanks to the wonders of modern medicine. Well I have to face the fact that I WILL be on meds for the rest of my life.

But all the shit above has made me into a far better and more mature adult. I consider everyone's feelings. I never look down on people, or treat them as shit for the way they look. And more recently I've come into my own me, really since I started dying my hair. I have few friends, but the ones I do have are pretty valuable to me =)

So overall I'd say I was pretty happy. I feel that people should take bad things in their life and try and turn them into good things.

I think thats a triumph! Hardly anyone i know have their original parents together.

Bad luck about at school though, must have been a nightmare.

You probobly have more friends than you think, if you act confident (not arrogant/annoying) and friendly people will flock to you.

I think thats a triumph! Hardly anyone i know have their original parents together.

You probobly have more friends than you think, if you act confident (not arrogant/annoying) and friendly people will flock to you.

You'd be surprised at how a skin condition can send people flocking AWAY from you :heh:

My mum and dad are surprisingly strong. 26 years and still going, yey.

Actually I took a booking at work for a couple (both in their 80's) that were married 50 years. That's some fucking awesome right there.

You'd be surprised at how a skin condition can send people flocking AWAY from you :heh:

My mum and dad are surprisingly strong. 26 years and still going, yey.

Actually I took a booking at work for a couple (both in their 80's) that were married 50 years. That's some fucking awesome right there.

It wouldnt bother me, i accidentally stare sometimes though. I dont mean it nastily though, and i cant help it.

That is amazing! Once you pass the 30 year mark im guessing your completly dependant on each other. Cant live without the other.

In the ever immortal lyrics from that song by Ronan Keating,' Life is a rollercoaster.' That's the best way to think of my life. Loads of ups. Loads of downs. A good mix of both with perhaps more downers than I'd have liked but hey-ho, that's how life goes. There have been loads of missed opportunities (some I continually think about and wish I hadn't missed out on) but life is a one way street and there's no going back (trust me, I've tried and it really doesn't work). So as I say to myself, forget about the past as it's gone and look to the future.

So, yeh I'd would say I've had a good life. It could have been much worse (and nearly was. Thank you high school friends, pricks!) and I'm thankful for what I've had and been given.

As much as this is going to seem rude, I'm in a grouchy mood because of zelda. But maybe there's no need to comment on everybody's situation, when you really don't have the full story?

I can completely understand where you are coming from raining, it was bad enough with glasses (in my area I had braces and glasses mostly before everybody else -sigh- :awesome:)

As much as this is going to seem rude, I'm in a grouchy mood because of zelda. But maybe there's no need to comment on everybody's situation, when you really don't have the full story?

I can completely understand where you are coming from raining, it was bad enough with glasses (in my area I had braces and glasses mostly before everybody else -sigh- :awesome:)

Yeah I know what you mean, I had big pink nhs glasses that covered my whole face (think Deirdre from corrie) but this was away back in the early ninties!! :awesome:

We rocked the specs before they were cool, girlfriend. *high fives*