NEurope
weeyellowbloke

We're all going to die....

It's even better to know one of the british scientists working for/with CERN, is the keyboard player from D:Ream, yes thats right the pop band that brought you such classics as "Things Can Only Get Better".

(Having watched a few videos, bloke seems a like decent guy).

That's rubbish, it's faster than that. According to Wikipedia: "It will take less than 90 microseconds for a proton to travel once around the main ring (a speed of about 11,000 revolutions per second)".

Nice to know that the media is still scaremongering as per usual, eh?

and according to someone who was there :

"And at 9.30 it's a triumph! The beam has gone round the circuit three times. Vast applause. The director general of CERN when this was first conceived a quarter of a century ago, Sir Chris Llewelyn-Smith has embraced Lyn Evans, the Welshman in charge of the switch-on. Grizzled particle physicists of a certain age and craggy stoicism are grinning and - just possibly - a tear has been seen. After a nail-biting few hours, this seems to be working. Given that it's one of the most expensive experiments conducted by mankind, that is probably a relief. "

"This is much better than expected. I've just heard that the beam circulated the LHC 3 times on the first attempt at just before 10.28 CET (0928 BST). The senior guys here do look genuinely surprised at the performance of their 27km baby. To put it into context, I was told earlier that the last machine here, LEP, which was much simpler, took 12 hours to get to this point. LHC has delivered the goods in an hour! "

The beams took so long to go around today because they did it in stages, blocking it at different parts to test it was reaching there etc.

Ah man, i had everything sorted out ready for impending Armageddon. I had a Vicar for my last rights and to forgive me of sin, i had bought a bottle of Irn Bru as my last drink and a half frozen Yorkie bar (don't ask).

Only joking, came to work as usual as i reckoned nothing would happen. Truth bit only of above was i actually had a Yorkie in the fridge.

Having skimmed this thread and realised I don't know if i'm trapped in a never-ending death throw of repeating N-E forum posting, can anyone give a break down of what this whole shebang means? Is it an energy creator or something?

Having skimmed this thread and realised I don't know if i'm trapped in a never-ending death throw of repeating N-E forum posting, can anyone give a break down of what this whole shebang means? Is it an energy creator or something?

The machine is supposed to create the exact microsecond after the Big Bang occured by crashing protons into each other. Critics were saying that this could end the world by creating a black hole that would suck the world into non-existance.

It's even better to know one of the british scientists working for/with CERN, is the keyboard player from D:Ream, yes thats right the pop band that brought you such classics as "Things Can Only Get Better".

(Having watched a few videos, bloke seems a like decent guy).

That's the same chap who's reported to have said: "Anybody who believes that the LHC will cause the end of the world is a complete twat!"

I like him already. :smile:

So, did we die?

Looks like we didn't....

Oh, shame :'(

Edit: We still have 2012 though, maybe there will be a Black Hole there :D

I didnt sleep properly last night because of this :S :P

well, then that engeneer thinks your a twat.

i dont mind, though i slept like a baby.

and according to someone who was there :

"And at 9.30 it's a triumph! The beam has gone round the circuit three times. Vast applause. The director general of CERN when this was first conceived a quarter of a century ago, Sir Chris Llewelyn-Smith has embraced Lyn Evans, the Welshman in charge of the switch-on. Grizzled particle physicists of a certain age and craggy stoicism are grinning and - just possibly - a tear has been seen. After a nail-biting few hours, this seems to be working. Given that it's one of the most expensive experiments conducted by mankind, that is probably a relief. "

"This is much better than expected. I've just heard that the beam circulated the LHC 3 times on the first attempt at just before 10.28 CET (0928 BST). The senior guys here do look genuinely surprised at the performance of their 27km baby. To put it into context, I was told earlier that the last machine here, LEP, which was much simpler, took 12 hours to get to this point. LHC has delivered the goods in an hour! "

Perhaps to start with, but fish is also right - at full speed (which I believe they did achieve today), the beam of particles travel at 27km slower than the speed of light.

We haven't heard from any French or Suisse people on the forum yet so you never know the black hole may just be making it's way to Britain :o

Does anyone know when the real deal is occurring?

They don't start colliding the atoms until October 21st. Even after then, the results will slowly come through over the period of 12 months. So I guess we'll have a bit of a wait to see whether the sainted Higgs Boson is merely a fairytale creation.

So does this mean that all our theories of science are built upon something unobserved and blind faith, rather much like the religion that a number of scientists choose to criticise? I still like science, I still have faith in science, maths, numbers and logic, but a while back part of me DID lose faith in some of the advanced physics, possibly because I couldn't understand it. How is it that in a world so full of science and technology, we have non-observed phenomena holding together all our theories?

(This question is semi-serious, I actually don't get how it came about to be like this)

Yeah, the importance of the LHC totally goes over my head, I wish someone could explain in simple terms.

Quoted for truth.

I'd prefer to know nothing about the universe or whatever they're trying to find out, and just NOT risk being eaten.

You're one of those people who would have sat as a caveman thinking, "hmm, yeah, this is ok. I mean, there are tigers that eat me as soon as I step out, but hey. I manage to live mostly"

Then there are the other people who venture out and create fire.

Best thing to come out of this so far... apparently someone sent CERN a small parcel containing a crowbar, a note for it's eventual wielder and a letter to the guys at CERN saying something similar to 'Get this to Gordon Freeman. He'll know what to do.' Not sure if it's true or not but wouldn't it be great if someone had done that, you know, just in case. "Yes, here's a crowbar. Give it to Gordon. If anything goes wrong, he'll sort it." :P

You're one of those people who would have sat as a caveman thinking, "hmm, yeah, this is ok. I mean, there are tigers that eat me as soon as I step out, but hey. I manage to live mostly"

Then there are the other people who venture out and create fire.

Tigers can't be compared to black holes. Why would you even try to?

And yeah, I'm inherently selfish, preserve my own life.

At the dinner tale today my sister hadn't heard of this so my mum described it to her as "dabbling in black holes." People were disgusted when I asked whether that was a gay innuendo.

Yeah, the importance of the LHC totally goes over my head, I wish someone could explain in simple terms.

It is to observe what happened microseconds after the big bang. They believe they will find anti-matter/dark matter and prove theories like the Higgs boson.

So does this mean that all our theories of science are built upon something unobserved and blind faith, rather much like the religion that a number of scientists choose to criticise? I still like science, I still have faith in science, maths, numbers and logic, but a while back part of me DID lose faith in some of the advanced physics, possibly because I couldn't understand it. How is it that in a world so full of science and technology, we have non-observed phenomena holding together all our theories?

(This question is semi-serious, I actually don't get how it came about to be like this)

The reason they can't observe it is because it was meant to only exist at the begining of the big bang and somehow doesn't now.

Tigers can't be compared to black holes. Why would you even try to?

And yeah, I'm inherently selfish, preserve my own life.

I would assume he meant nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I'm really disappointed, I wanted to die in a supermassive black hollleee!

Oh well October ain't so far away.

Times like this I wish I lived in the DC universe. At least then I could be assured that the JLA would save the day if anything went wrong.

Looks like i will have to wait then to experience 'flying' (i know someone said that wont happen but i can still dream...)

I admit I was a little bit worried this morning, even as I was safe in the knowledge of Gordon Freeman on site.