NEurope
weeyellowbloke

We're all going to die....

Yep, according to the well known scientific research journal The Daily Mail we have just 4 years left before the world is turned inside out by a black hole!

Landmark experiment to unlock secrets of Big Bang could cause end of the world, say scientists in court bid to halt it

It has cost £4.4billion and is designed to unlock the secrets of the Big Bang.

But rather than providing vital information about the beginning of life, the world's biggest experiment could cause the end of the world, say scientists.

They fear that the Large Hadron Collider - due to be switched on in nine days' time - will create a black hole that could swallow the planet.

By smashing sub-atomic particles together at close to the speed of light, the LHC aims to recreate the conditions that existed a fraction of a second after the birth of the universe or Big Bang, shedding light on the building blocks of life.

But critics claim that the 'time machine', which has been built 300ft beneath the French-Swiss border near Geneva, could instead spawn a shower of mini-black holes.

Within four years, one of these 'celestial vacuums' could have swollen to such a size that it is capable of sucking the Earth inside-out, said Otto Rossler, one of a group of scientists mounting a last-minute court challenge to the project.

They claim the experiment violates the right to life under the European Convention of Human Rights. However, the case at the European Court of Human Rights is not expected to delay the switch on, scheduled for Wednesday of next week.

Professor Rossler, a German chemist, said the European Organisation for Nuclear Research, or CERN, has admitted its project will create black holes but doesn't consider them to be a risk.

He warned: 'My own calculations have shown it is quite plausible that these little black holes survive and will grow exponentially and eat the planet from the inside. I have been calling for CERN to hold a safety conference to prove my conclusions wrong but they have not been willing.'

Those involved in the project have dismissed the claims as 'absurd' and insist that extensive safety assessments have found the experiment, which is funded by 20 countries, including the UK, to be safe.

A report written earlier this year stated: 'Over the past billions of years, nature has already generated on Earth as many collisions as about a million LHC experiments - and the planet still exists.'

The lifespan of any mini-black holes would be 'very short', it added.

CERN spokesman James Gillies said the arguments before the European Court of Human Rights had been answered in 'extensive safety assessments'.

He told the Sunday Telegraph: 'The Large Hadron Collider will not be producing anything that does not happen routinely in nature due to cosmic rays. If they were dangerous we would know about it already.'

Scientists have used large particle colliders to smash atoms and pieces of atoms together for 30 years, but this machine has attracted so much attention because it is the most powerful ever built.

In the LHC beams of protons will be propelled through an 18-mile-long circular tunnel. More than 5,000 magnets lining the tunnel will accelerate the hundreds of billions of tiny particles to almost the speed of light, allowing them to complete one circuit in one-11,000th of a second.

There will be two beams going in opposite directions, each packing as much energy as a car travelling at 100mph.

When they reach almost the speed of light, they will be smashed head on into each other, breaking them into their constituent parts, including, perhaps, the building blocks of the universe.

source

So with only a few days before the biggest physics experiment ever gets underway, what are people's thoughts on The Large Hadron Collider? Waste of money? Gateway to destruction?

Personally I'm bloody excited (but then I am very geeky about this sort of stuff). I've been following the progress of it and reading about the possibilities of what it may discover for ages and I can't wait to see what things will be uncovered once data is collected and analysed. Will we finally discover the basic building blocks of the universe? Could we find concrete non-theoretical evidence for the causes behind the big bang? If so the implications could be mind blowing.

Also if Earth turned inside out by 2012 at least it'll provide a bigger spectacle than the the Beijing Olympics for London.

I hope we all get sucked into a black hole. We're just asking for it.

NO ONE'S GONNA TAAAAAKE MEEEE ALLLIIIIIVEEEEE....

Meh, it's just people trying to instill fear. Next they'll be telling you not to breeeathe, for fear of death.

I like how all the doom and gloom is only AFTER one of these mini-black holes is created.

So TILL they are. Safe.

Well If it does fail, I imagine we'll never know anyway, We'll all be dead. So I really don't care.

Speaking of that, if you can find someone stupid enough, bet them that the world isn't going to be destroyed by planet X or this.

Considering that death and knowing it's coming is my greatest fear, i'm not too upset about this "news". Daily Mail is full of shite.

However, I'm admittedly too scared to even read it fully, or check if other places have it reported.

Aww, someone already posted that video.

If disaster does happen and we get the 4 year time frame, it will be awesome! I guarantee you we will have either discovered a way to "kill" black holes, or discovered wormhole technology and got the fuck out of here.

And the best scientists reckon there's no chance of anything so catastrophic taking place anyway.

And the best scientists reckon there's no chance of anything so catastrophic taking place anyway.

Fuck the Scientists! The Daily Mail told me otherwise!

I'm just waiting for this shit to turn up in "The Bible." You know...The Sun.

I just like how they sourced another newspaper, rather than doing a bit more work themselves, @ paj, it's been reported about for awhile (i too follow it)

What would be amusing is if it destroyed the world on december the 9th 2012, then those damn mayans would have been right!

By amusing i mean horrific.

The Daily Mail......LMAO!

Of course noboby knows 100% what will happen, but there much be a insanely small risk of anything happening or this wouldn't be allowed to happen

People actually believe what the Daily Mail write? Holy mother of god.

Judging by the comments section of the article people really think "crackpot" scientists are going to destroy the universe. They seem more concerned though that this cost £4 billion. Oh and it's all Labours fault. :indeed:

I definately think those Mayans were on to something. If it's not this then it'll be that pesky polar reversal or the giant super-volcano under Yellowstone National Park.

I'll get the barricades, you go buy shotguns. it's coming.

Total bullshit. At best they're going to create a black hole weighing a few grams, it couldn't even suck in Lindsay Lohan if it wanted to.

giant super-volcano under Yellowstone National Park.

Be funny if that were the thing to kill us :p

The Large Hard-On Collider, lol. It'll create a black hole where giant erect penises will fly out that'll bone us to death. We're doomed, DOOMED!

Total bullshit. At best they're going to create a black hole weighing a few grams, it couldn't even suck in Lindsay Lohan if it wanted to.

Wouldn't it be weightless?

that would have to be inconcivebly tiny.

Wouldn't it be weightless?

no. a tea spoon of black hole weighs more then the earth

a black hole being weightless isnt posible, as its made of matter, which has a weight.

any black hole that occurs would doom us all, but to be honest, if top scientists arnt worried, and the daily mail is, id freely put my blass in the hydrogen colider.