Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The University Thread 08/09

Charlie

You guys seem to go for expensive accommodation. I paid £30 per week for a room in a two-bed flat with a mate. Admittedly, it was in a roughish area of Newcastle, there were bars on the windows and slugs came out at night to roam on our kitchen floor, but it was cheap.

That was all that mattered really. It left like £30-£40 per week for food/bills/entertainment and then you get a job over the summer and build up some cash/don't get a job over summer and slowly fall further into your overdraft.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jordan
You guys seem to go for expensive accommodation. I paid £30 per week for a room in a two-bed flat with a mate. Admittedly, it was in a roughish area of Newcastle, there were bars on the windows and slugs came out at night to roam on our kitchen floor, but it was cheap.

That was all that mattered really. It left like £30-£40 per week for food/bills/entertainment and then you get a job over the summer and build up some cash/don't get a job over summer and slowly fall further into your overdraft.

When was this? 1975? :D

Jeez, £30 a week accommodation... Madness.

I think people would rather be in debt a bit longer than spend a couple of years in a shit house and area. For many people, it's about the experience.

My houses were all fine - just studenty. A house is just where you sleep, although I can see for some that it would be a part of the experience, for me I just wanted to spend as little money as possible on a place that I spent so little time in. I've just done a quick search and can see that the cheaper student lets in Newcastle now go for about £40 per week, but then I'd assume that loans have also gone up.

Guest Stefkov

The two options of accomodation I had were both over the £3000 mark for the Uni year. I went for the little bit more expensive one because it had an en suite bathroom.

My dads just dropped off the PFF1 forms to the place this time instead of waiting for the post to not deliver it like they did last time. We sent it near the beginning of July and they didn't even get to the place. Then because of that I would have been getting not a lot of money. Considering my circumstances I would have been annoyed. Luckily it can be changed, hopefully.

I just looked up the halls that I stayed in in my first year - they're like well expensive now. Lesson to be learned, I guess, is to get out into cheaper private accommodation after your first year, when hopefully you've made some friends that are willing to live with you, that don't know about all the secret awful things you do when no one is around.

I just looked up the halls that I stayed in in my first year - they're like well expensive now. Lesson to be learned, I guess, is to get out into cheaper private accommodation after your first year, when hopefully you've made some friends that are willing to live with you, that don't know about all the secret awful things you do when no one is around.

Thats exactly what I'm hoping for!

My accommodation is the cheapest option available...£65 per week. Which is fuckin ridiculous. I am living in a tower ffs. They look like council tower blocks. :heh::blank:

Home will be a big part of next year. During the first semester I have about 12 hours of lectures, during the second semester eight. And im not one for the library (as its a very social and non-working place).

I hate that. It was like that at sixth form, where the year below just used it to chat and mess about. So fucking annoying, especially as the librarian just kept shouting at them to shut up in vain. :heh:

You can give thanks to the government and university for jacking up the prices, it works out at about £90 a week for me just for a bed/shower/desk. I could have gone for much cheaper halls at around £50 a week but there's no way I can share a bathroom..

Unfortunetly I decided to be a stuck up cow and pick one of the better halls, I'm lucky enough to be able to get the chance to move into them, but I'll be hopefully 'roughin it out in a rented house with friends in the second year haha :heh:

Some of you guys are getting off lightly with your accommodation. When I was thinking of going up to Aberdeen to study architecture, I got my accommodation and it was gonna cost £5000 a year for some obscure reason. £100+ a week all for the fact that it had an en-suite. Luckily, I ditched that and the whole Aberdeen thing. But can you imagine what that would have been like? I'd have bugger all money for anything else other than rent.

You can give thanks to the government and university for jacking up the prices, it works out at about £90 a week for me just for a bed/shower/desk. I could have gone for much cheaper halls at around £50 a week but there's no way I can share a bathroom..

Unfortunetly I decided to be a stuck up cow and pick one of the better halls, I'm lucky enough to be able to get the chance to move into them, but I'll be hopefully 'roughin it out in a rented house with friends in the second year haha :heh:

U lucky sod....I applied for an en suite room but they had all gone. I really don't wanna share a bathroom too but I'm not that bothered. Its gonna be horrible at first but I'll get used to it...hopefully.

btw, where u heading for uni?:smile:

I shared bathrooms for 3 years. Never a problem, really. Only bad thing was in 2nd year when I lived with two girls ith very thick black hair that clogged up the shower drain. That was pretty gross.

Actually, while on 'pretty gross things to do in a shared shower', here's a good prank.

First, find your university letterhead design, and photoshop an official looking document. You'll want a signiture and a fake name for the head of maintenance in your halls/area.

Then, using said document, print up a warning letter along these lines:

Warning!

No Masturbating In The Showers

We have recently had to have maintenance work carried out on the drains from this building. The blockage was caused by a large amount of male seamen from the showers. We would like to take this opportunity to ask residents to refrain from further masturbation in the showers as next time the charge for any work will be passed on to you."

*fake name here*

It's a classic.

It isn't too bad sharing, I can understand but ideally I was going to get en-suite if I could. I got my results alot earlier than the a level students baboo, my results were sent off a week after I finished, so it was easier for me.

Elli, definately take your own printer, although there should be lots of places at uni to print, it saves you trekking everytime. I'm also told I need to take a toaster, but won't buy one unless somebody else hasn't bought one or they don't want me using it, otherwise there might be 6 toasters!

Other than that it's the stuff that should be on a list for you recommended?

and yes dyson is right, I'm off to sheffield hallam.

It isn't too bad sharing, I can understand but ideally I was going to get en-suite if I could. I got my results alot earlier than the a level students baboo, my results were sent off a week after I finished, so it was easier for me.

Elli, definately take your own printer, although there should be lots of places at uni to print, it saves you trekking everytime. I'm also told I need to take a toaster, but won't buy one unless somebody else hasn't bought one or they don't want me using it, otherwise there might be 6 toasters!

Other than that it's the stuff that should be on a list for you recommended?

and yes dyson is right, I'm off to sheffield hallam.

What? :p I didn't understand that. My name is elly by the way, elli is a girl's name ;)

I think I will leave the toaster at first, and I will now keep on the lookout for a printer thanks :)

Apparently you are supposed to provide your own printer, is this true?

does anyone have like a little list of recommended things to take? This could be helpful :)

A quick search found this.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_To_Take_To_University

Documents

• Passport Photos (at least four, and keep some on you). Also scan some on to your computer to get quick reproductions for less (especially for ID that doesn't really matter)
  • Passport
  • Driving Licence
  • National Insurance Number
  • NHS Medical Card
  • Details of your vaccination history
  • Insurance Documents
  • TV Licence
  • Support Notification
  • Any Information from your LEA, the SLC (Student Loans Company) or Student Finance Direct
  • Your Unconditional Offer from the University
  • Any Documents regarding your Accommodation
  • Cheque Book
  • Paying-In Book
  • Bank or Building Society Details
  • Travel Discount Cards (Young Person's Railcard etc)
  • CV & References

Academic

• Reading List
  • Academic Diary / Wall Planner / Calendar
  • Relevant Old Text Books and Notes
  • Dictionary
  • Thesaurus
  • GCSE and A-Level results/certificates. (Some Universities use these during your induction)

Stationery and Educational Equipment

Some universities may provide lamps/notice boards etc so buy these when you get there if they don't, and rather than carrying stationery with you it may be a better idea to buy it when you get there to save space/effort.

• Lamp
  • Notice or Message Board
  • Book Chair

• Lined Paper
  • Printing Paper
  • Jotter or Reporter Pad

• Pens
  • Pencils
  • Highlighters
  • Permanent All-Surface Markers (useful for marking what's yours!)

• White Tack or Blu Tack
  • Scissors
  • Sellotape
  • Hole Puncher
  • Stapler
  • Treasury Tags
  • Paper Clips
  • Post-it Notes or Flag Markers
  • Sticky-back Labels
  • Pins for sticking things to any cork boards provided
  • Ruler(s)

• A4 Ring Binders or Lever Arch Folders
  • Paper or Plastic Wallets
  • Clipboard

• Envelopes & Stamps
  • Rubbers
  • Sharpener

Electrical Appliances

• Extension leads Get Surge protected ones to protect valuable equipment

• Computer/Laptop & charger
    • USB Pen drive
    • CD-R/RW for creating hard back ups
    • External Harddrive

• Printer
  • Calculator (for finances)
  • Alarm Clock
  • Mobile Phone & charger
  • Landline Phone (check, some residences may provide this)
  • CD-player
  • Desk Fan
  • Television (You will probably need to purchase a TV license).
  • Camera
  • Batteries and charger
  • MP3 Player/IPod (with charger and USB connector)
  • Speakers and Connector
  • Headphones
  • DVD Player
  • Digibox
  • Games consoles
  • Hair Dryer
  • Hair Straighteners / Curling Tongs
  • Iron, perhaps an ironing board but some unis have one for students to use (Small tabletop one, perhaps? Or just use the table itself if its clean.)
  • Kettle

Personal Items

• Nail Clippers
  • Nail Scissors
  • Tweezers
  • Deodorant
  • Hairbrush / Comb
  • Razor
  • Shaving Gel
  • Cologne
  • Body Spray
  • Perfume
  • Condoms/Femidoms
  • Hair Dye
  • Hair Products
  • Jewellery Box
  • Make-up
  • Moisturiser
  • Prescription Glasses/spare pair (and a copy of your prescription)
  • Contacts & contacts solution
  • Earplugs

First Aid Kit

• Prescription Medicines
  • Contraception
  • Multivitamins
  • Painkillers
  • Plasters
  • Antiseptic Wipes
  • Antiseptic Cream
  • Blister Plasters
  • Cold/Flu Remedy
  • Throat Lozenges
  • Pro-Plus
  • Nytol
  • Anti-allergy Tablets
  • A Cold/Hot Pack
  • Sanitary Towels/Tampons [For the females among us]

Clothing

• Dressing Gown
  • Pyjamas
  • Slippers
  • Flip-flops (for communal showers/summer & 'beach' parties)
  • Swimwear
  • Normal, casual clothing
  • Formal wear
  • Gym or Sporting Clothes
  • School Tie (for the school discos you're BOUND to have!)
  • A warm coat, gloves, scarf, hat and a brolly (so many students pack in sunny September and get caught out/cold when Autumn/Winter starts to bite)
  • Fancy Dress Items [seriously]
  • Clean underwear
  • Smart clothing and smart shoes suitable for interviews for part-time jobs

Bathroom Items

• Hand Towels
  • Bath Towels
  • Wash Bag
  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • Mouthwash
  • Floss
  • Soap
  • Shower gel
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner
  • Razor/epilator/hair removing equipment
  • Shaving cream
  • Toilet roll
  • Air freshener
  • Anti-perspirant/deodorant.

Bedroom Items

Bedding

• Sheets
  • Duvet/Quilt (alot of unis sell these on move-in day, but do check if they are provided, as they sometimes are!)
  • Duvet/Quilt Cover
  • Pillows
  • Pillow Cases
  • Mattress Protector [not only if you have incontinence issues, but if you have a drunken mishap during the night ;)]
  • Blanket

Other Stuff

• Cushions so that your bed is both a bed and a sofa
  • Cuddly toys :)
  • Hot Waterbottle
  • Sleeping Bag
  • Inflatable Bed
  • Airbed Pump
  • Take something to eat for your first night's meal, as it might be a bit hectic.

Kitchen Items

Appliances

(beware: if you are sharing you may end up with many of the same appliance in one house). Also some universities do supply these in varying states of working order for those in university accommodation

• Mini-Fridge - beware: the vast majority of universities don't allow mini fridges in hall rooms (but if you make friends with the cleaners / bedders it shouldn't be an issue from past experience), if you're desperate to have cool drinks/milk in your room then it might be a better idea to invest in a cool box and some freezer packs
  • Kettle
  • Toaster
  • Toasted Sandwich Maker

Equipment

• Small Casserole Dish
  • Small Frying Pan
  • Wok or Large Frying Pan (with lid)
  • Large Saucepan (with lid)
  • Small Saucepan (with lid)
  • Flat Baking Tray (for Oven Chips!)
  • Tin Opener
  • Bottle Opener
  • Corkscrew
  • Vegetable Peeler
  • Cheese Grater
  • Wooden Spoons or Spatulas
  • Masher
  • Microwavable Bowl
  • Measuring Jug
  • Sieve
  • Colander

• Chopping Knives
  • Chopping Board
  • Lemon Squeezer
  • Tupperware (plastic) tubs for storing left overs. Write something on the lids and the tubs to prevent them going missing

Other Kitchen Items

• Glasses (Wine Glasses, Shot Glasses, Pint Glasses, tumblers, high-ball)
    • Cutlery (Knives, Forks, Spoons) Tip - Taking just 1 or 2 of everything will encourage you to wash them straight away
    • Crockery (Plates, Bowls, Mugs, Cups)

[*]Apron

[*]Oven Glove

[*]Tea Towels

[*]Baking Foil

[*]Cling Film

[*]Sandwich Bags

[*]Marigolds - Washing up gloves

[*]Carbon Monoxide Tester

[*]Bin bags/black or white (plastic) sacks for rubbish and waste.

[*]Biscuit Tin

[*]Pizza slicer

[*]Kitchen Scissors

[*]Apple Corer

[*]A set of Scales or Balances

Laundry and Housekeeping Items

• Febreze
  • Washing Powder
  • Fabric Softener
  • Laundry Bag
  • Clothes Horse
  • Coat hangers

• Washing up Liquid
  • Washing up Sponge/Cloth

• Kitchen Towel
  • Toilet Roll

• Cleaning Equipment though often provided by universities

Decorative

• Posters often a stand at the freshers’ fair
  • Photos
  • Postcards

• Rug
  • Throw
  • Cushions
  • Beanbag

• Fairy lights- these are sometimes not permitted in the University's Halls of Residence though as they are a fire hazard and safety hazard.
  • Disco Balls
  • Lava Lamps

• Plants
  • Mood lights, can be an effective way of setting a romantic mood
  • Air purifier thing, if you're like me and your room is always in a mess, it is possible to keep it smelling and feeling clean even though the cleaner last came over a month ago.

Miscellaneous

• Loose Change (for washing machines)
  • Extra Storage – Boxes, Shelves etc
  • Holdall or Weekend Bag
  • Torch
  • Pen Knife
  • Safety Pins
  • Small Sewing Kit
  • Small Tool Kit
  • Matches/Candles
  • Watch - always good for suddenly realising you've got a lecture in 2 minutes!
  • Fan
  • Hooks/Sticky Hooks
  • Door Wedge
  • Tissues
  • Lip Balm/ Chap Stick
  • Board Games
  • Cards
  • Balls/ Frisbees
  • Sports Equipment
  • Bike - but not too expensive, and invest in a very good lock
  • Musical instrument(s)
  • Umbrella
  • Tray
  • Recipe Book
  • Super glue - very useful for fixing things
  • Store Cupboard Ingredients (Oil, Spices, Tin and Packet Food)
  • Alcohol. For the love of god take some wine and spirits and invite some neighbours over to make friends!!!
  • Money!!
  • Small safe for valuables / documents

Not sure if its what you meant, but some of it seem like neceseties.

What? :p I didn't understand that. My name is elly by the way, elli is a girl's name ;)

I think I will leave the toaster at first, and I will now keep on the lookout for a printer thanks :)

When I was told which halls I was in I was given sheets off what was in the room and kitchen and what I needed to bring, that was what I was on about Elly ;)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!