Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

I'm 10% Dutch, 14% Welsh and 0.5% Iranian...

navarre

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Members of the Unionist communities in Northern Ireland might describe themselves as British even though they are not on the island of Great Britain, as this reflects a political and cultural identity."

Britain is the island on the right, Ireland is on the left. The british isles is an archipalego. g'bless wiki.

300px-British_Isles_Euler_diagram.svg.png

How awesome is that picture, eh!

EDIT: lol I especially love the bits of Northern Island that are part of the british isles but not the uk ;)

"Members of the Unionist communities in Northern Ireland might describe themselves as British even though they are not on the island of Great Britain, as this reflects a political and cultural identity."

Britain is the island on the right, Ireland is on the left. The british isles is an archipalego. g'bless wiki.

300px-British_Isles_Euler_diagram.svg.png

How awesome is that picture, eh!

EDIT: lol I especially love the bits of Northern Island that are part of the british isles but not the uk ;)

Related things, and a slightly less awesome diagram here.

This is all too confusing...

Anyway, I think I'm pretty much Belgian, with a tiny bit of Dutch thrown in there (I think the dad or granddad of my grandfather was Dutch, or something). Can't say I ever paid attention to our family tree though.

It's Great Britain and Northern Ireland, or the United Kingdom. Britain != UK

Edit: That means

Scotland + England + Wales = Great Britain

Scotland + England + Wales + Northern Ireland = United Kingdom

i think your right!

well.. hmm.. its all confusing

wiki says

Protestants consider themselves British and Catholics see themselves as Irish but there are some who see themselves as both British and Irish. People from Northern Ireland are entitled to both British and Irish citizenship

im "protestant" and i consider myself irish. but the downside about being "protestant" is that yo udont learn about the irish langauge.culture. thing.

which sucks tbh

Your country is confusing. :wtf:

I think I'll just stick to Brittish and Irish.

Britain is the group of islands. Great Britain is the biggest, and is made up of Scotland, Wales, and England. The second largest island is Ireland, which is split into the Republic of Ireland/Eire and Northern Ireland.

The countries of Great Britain, when combined with Northern Ireland, make the United Kingdom.

Ireland is in no-way British whatsoever.

:)

That argument is great right up to the point you realise people in the British Isles are European, even though not part of Europe per-se.

'Britain' is the British Isles. Someone from there is "British". Unfortunately, as the American's tend to be as stupid as they are wide, they think that "Britain" means "Great Britain", which is actually just a part of Britain.

Ditto. Your country is too confusing.

I'm just going to stick with calling you British to some and Irish to others. Don't feel ofended.

Very few people will term themselves as being from Britain. We're all English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish/Northern Irish, Manx, or from somewhere outside of the archipelago.

Ditto. Your country is too confusing.

I'm just going to stick with calling you British to some and Irish to others. Don't feel ofended.

Your country is confusing. :wtf:

I think I'll just stick to Brittish and Irish.

They are actually 2 distinct countries though. British and Irish are not from the same country.

Britain is the group of islands. Great Britain is the biggest, and is made up of Scotland, Wales, and England. The second largest island is Ireland, which is split into the Republic of Ireland/Eire and Northern Ireland.

Britain is not the group of Island. Some term the group of islands the British Isles - very contentious here in the Republic. The second largest island is that of Ireland indeed, but Ireland is not part of Britain.

That argument is great right up to the point you realise people in the British Isles are European, even though not part of Europe per-se.

Per-se? As in Continental Europe? And the argument hold right up to that point and beyond it. Irish people are not British, just as British people are not Irish. 2 distinct, independent and wildly varying cultures exist.

Sorry to get so pedantic about this, but it realy pisses me off when Ireland is referred to as part of Britain of that being Irish is British.

I have no problem with the British people, culture, countries et in the slightest but please!!! don't dare call me British! I'm Irish!!!!

:)

as the American's tend to be as stupid as they are wide, they think that "Britain" means "Great Britain", which is actually just a part of Britain.

Or maybe it's because it's do damn confusing! You can't really call people stupid for having a hard time figuring out something as majorly confusing as this. Especially because so many people THINK they know and spread the wrong info.

For confused foreigners - there's a method that's (almost) guarranteed not to irritate anyone, whatever part of the British Isles they may be from: call people from England "English", people from Wales "Welsh", people from Scotland "Scottish", people from Ireland "Irish", etc.

'Britain' is the British Isles. Someone from there is "British". Unfortunately, as the American's tend to be as stupid as they are wide, they think that "Britain" means "Great Britain", which is actually just a part of Britain.

Honestly, this 'American bashing' is getting annoying. I don't really know the difference between Britain and Great Britain either (even though I'm sure I learned about it once, years ago), so that means I must be stupid as well!

For confused foreigners - there's a method that's (almost) guarranteed not to irritate anyone, whatever part of the British Isles they may be from: call people from England "English", people from Wales "Welsh", people from Scotland "Scottish", people from Ireland "Irish", etc.

That is still too confusing. Plus you cannot always know where a person is from (especially as I have no idea what cities are situated in which part of the country). So I will stick with British and Irish.

They are actually 2 distinct countries though. British and Irish are not from the same country.

I know. Ireland is the only simple part of the whole bunch. :heh:

I'm with Eenuh in this point. A distinction between British and Irish is easier.

Plus, what would we call those from N.Ireland? N.Irish?

Can't I just call you UKers. I have to read up on these posts to understand your country :P

I'm with Eenuh in this point. A distinction between British and Irish is easier.

Plus, what would we call those from N.Ireland? N.Irish?

The easiest way to do it is call people Irish, English, Welsh, and Scottish (screw the Manx).

That is still too confusing. Plus you cannot always know where a person is from (especially as I have no idea what cities are situated in which part of the country). So I will stick with British and Irish.

Of the places regulars are from, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, and Lerwick are Scotland, Newport, Swansea and Cardiff and Wales, and everywhere else is England.

(Oh, and Ballymena is Northern Ireland.)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!