Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Red Steel 2 (£4.95 @Zavvi)

blender

Obviously they've got other projects though. They have a lot more teams than most people think. They just don't seem to be talking about much else at this point.

I guess there's also Sin and Punishment 2, Dynamic Slash, Cosmic Walker, That one RPG game I can't seem to remember the name of, Retro's new project. EAD 2 is also working on Wii Fit Plus, but I doubt thats what you're talking about here.

And on the DS, Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver, Zelda Spirit Tracks.

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What Wii MotionPlus Really Does For Red Steel 2

504x_custom_1249586380436_RS2.jpg

I recently asked the creative director of Red Steel 2 what the required MotionPlus attachment adds to his Wii game. He asked me if I wanted the marketing answer or the technological answer.

I wanted the technical answer, of course.

But first Jason VandenBerghe, a man who was soon to impress me with the fact that he lead the team that developed my favorite post-GoldenEye James Bond game, Everything or Nothing, gave me the marketing answer.

He adopted his marketing voice, which was higher than his normal tone, and accompanied by waving of arms and the wobbly body language of a dishonest man. The marketing answer was that it would make the game more amazing, more terrific, more awesome.

He straightened himself out and took the Wii Remote from my hand. I was about to get the technological answer.

This was all happening in the basement floor of a downtown hotel in New York, last week during a rainstorm that stabbed the sky with lightning and flipped my umbrella inside out. In from the storm and amid the Ubisoft holiday line-up, I was playing the early portion of Red Steel 2. It's a cartoon-shaded first-person-shooter/sword-fighter. The opening bit had my character being dragged on his belly by a guy on a motorcycle. I shot free and was in a gunfight, pointing the MotionPlus at the TV running the game, feeling my hand movements match the arm and gun movements of the character in the first-person game.

"Without MotionPlus, I couldn't do this," he said with the Remote now in his hand and me stepped off to the side to observe. He pointed the Remote at the screen as if to shoot. Then he moved his arm, pointing the Remote toward the left side of the screen... then he turned it more until it wasn't pointing at the TV any more.

Wii first-person-shooter owners know what VandenBerghe's gesture would normally cause. The Wii sensor bar would lose track of the Wii Remote's pointer, causing the game's first-person camera to either keep turning uncontrollably, or the camera would stop. This would be a frustration for players who were just trying to turn and had turned a tad too much. Either way, the gamer would then have to point back at the screen to get the Remote noticed again.

When VandenBerghe moved his Remote away from the TV something different happened. The camera in the game did keep turning. But as VandenBerghe turned his hand and the Remote back to the TV, the camera swiveled back with him. MotionPlus had taken over for the Remote's pointer. The Wii never lost track of its player.

MotionPlus had made these controls smarter. The swings to the side could even allow the developers to map a quick-turn.

This wasn't marketing. Technically, that's what MotionPlus added to the shooting of Red Steel 2. Otherwise, VandenBerghe said, no, MotionPlus was not essential for Red Steel's shooting gameplay.

504x_custom_1249586383886_RS22.jpg

But remember, Red Steel 2 fans, the essence of the franchise is guns and swords.

MotionPlus is essential to the sword-fighting in the game, I was told. VandenBerghe has been on the project for a year and a half. He remembers riskily informing his bosses that the game had to use it. He remembers expecting MotionPlus to birth a lightsaber game at this E3 that would steal his game's thunder. He remembers being shocked that no such game shows up. And he maintains that it would be pointless to make a game with sword-fighting without MotionPlus — unless, as with a No More Heroes, the intention wasn't to emulate the feel of actually swinging a sword.

To sword-fight is to swing your arm. Vigorously. In real life or the game.

Red Steel 2's sword combat involves big swings, short swings, blocks, combos. And without MotionPlus, Vandenberghe told me, it would have involved a six-to-10-frame lag between player motion and the action on the screen. That would be too slow to make the game worth making, he told me.

In Red Steel 2, the switch from gunplay to sword combat isn't activated by a button. There's no weapons toggle. The change is activated by the rapidity of arm movement. The gun is the game's default, but swing your arm sharply and the sword comes out — and stays out until the Remote is leveled and shots are again ready to be fired.

I swung the virtual sword in the game. I almost had to wallop Vandenberghe and other people standing by to get some of the best strikes on the game's enemies.

Vandenberghe told me that he keeps getting quoted as proclaiming himself to be the man who killed waggle. Kill waggle with this? These controls felt right.

The game was recently delayed to 2010, a move Vandenberghe said is designed to balance the quality of the adventure. When released, Red Steel 2 will be bundled with a MotionPlus.

http://kotaku.com/5331431/what-wii-motionplus-really-does-for-red-steel-2

Sounds ace. Really can't wait for this.

Tbh the motion control in this didn't impress me when was showed at E3, it didn't look 1:1 as the one in WiiSports.

Hmm, I think it's probably best to wait and see some actual footage of somebody playing the game, to see how well the motions translate to what happens in the game. I don't know if anything like this has been shown yet?

It sucks waiting for all this footage, but that's what needs to happen before we can make a good judgement on this. So far, it seems good, but it's all just talk. I need actionnnn.

It depends on what they're going for, but if it isn't 1:1 and they give the impression it is, then it won't have a good welcome.

They openly said it wasn't back at E3 though. The only reason people assume its 1:1 is because thats what motion plus was originally said to add. 1:1 is just one of the capabilities of the device though, its just a gyro-sensor basically, so it could be used for a lot of things.

It depends on what they're going for, but if it isn't 1:1 and they give the impression it is, then it won't have a good welcome.

When you say 1:1, are you refering to the sword fighting? It's really something we have to see in video or moving form before we actually have a proper idea of how it works in the game. From the sounds of things, MotionPlus is essential to the sword-play, and I think we'll see something a lot more fluid this time around. It didn't work all that well in the first Red Steel.

This is probably just me worrying. But is anyone worried about the level design? I know we haven't seem much, but it all looks very tired and basic. I dunno, it just all looks quite samey.

Uhmm, .........just relax?

Edited by Fused King

It would be very hard to implement in 1:1 sword movements, the arms would look like snakes or something. But it can still reflect almost perfect moves. If it were 1:1 you could even cut your own feet or disembowel yourself.

Wait, did you say M+ comes bundled with this?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!