N-Europe

9/11

ReZourceman

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few people here need to lighten up a bit...

I think the reason why 9/11 is remembered more than much much worse tragedies (such as the 2004 Tsunami and the recent cyclone in Burma) is because it is a historical event more than it is a tragedy (at least I think so).

I remember the day clearly, the day after my mothers birthday and i just happened to have the day off work, I was watching a movie on Sky Movies (can't remember what though), a red banner appeared bottom of the screen saying "plane hits one of the twin towers", I switched to Sky News and just 2 mins later saw the 2nd plane hit live, i was in shock, watched news all the day, saw the pictures of people jumping out the windows, saw the towers fall one by one, saw the people on the ground running from the cloud of dust, horrifying stuff. But it wasn't till the next day that it hit me that they were passenger planes with people in them. Couldn't imagine what it might have been like on one of those. It makes me more angry than sad, I watch the film United 93 and feel the same, anger, at the hyjackers and the people behind it. How these guys can be brainwashed to think killing themselves and other (innocent) people is a good thing pisses me off.

A lot of drama queens here.

I remember well that day, I was in year 10 and had just arrived from school, my mum was preparing lunch and started screaming "come see this! looks like a plane has hit the twin towers!" and as we watched the news during lunch, while the news reporters said accident was still the most probable cause for it, another plane comes into screen and collapses against the other building. It sure was impressive. I kept watching the news the rest of the day.

I think the reason why 9/11 is remembered more than much much worse tragedies (such as the 2004 Tsunami and the recent cyclone in Burma) is because it is a historical event more than it is a tragedy (at least I think so).

What I was trying to say.

It's more prevalent in my mind as a historical milestone than a tragedy.

A few people here need to lighten up a bit...

Well another reason it is remembered more is because of all the media footage out there. You could see it happen live, on tv, millions of people did. But with the tsunami and the earthquake and what not, there's a lot less footage to go around, and certainly nothing that was shown live on tv for millions of people.

Also, natural disasters happen all the time (doesn't make them less tragic by the way), but a terrorist attack like the one on the twin towers is not something you get confronted with every year.

I remember the day well also. I was off school because of a hospital appointment, regular television was interrupted. It raped every channel all day.

To me, 9/11 just seems so much more political than personal thing. I don't really feel any emotion to/for it.

Same here, same when the thing happened, and same now. I feel nothing towards this. I know it's a bad thing, people died and shit like that. But I just don't care.

I remember my mum making a huge fuss and being all frantic pointing at the tv, but I was more interested in eating my lunch or whatever : /

And then at school we had to do all these work sheets about Muslims and the Twin Towers and stuff, and I couldn't have given less of a shit at the time.

It makes me sound horrible, but it was how I felt at the time (age 10 or something)

I was in my 20's and had recently lost a good friend and was sitting at home off work and saw the whole thing unveil from the start. I was already emotionally cut up and actually sat and cried as I wondered what the fuck was wrong with the world and why anyone would do such a thing. I also talked to my lost friend and said to him that you wouldn't want to see this awful travesty.

Next thing I knew my dad was off to iraq. Twice.

Terrible.

A tragic day but so many more people were killed in the recent Earthquake in china... the cyclone... the tsunami a few years back. The only reason this sticks in so many peoples' minds is because they labelled it with a pair of numbers and installed the fear of terrorism into America's minds.
I disagree. The reason the terrorist attacks are remembered is foremostly because of their sheer evilness and disturbing nature.

Natural disasters are tragic but they're not evil. We may interpret them as such, but it's only because we instinctively personify these things in order to try to understand them. The consequences of natural disasters are terrible, but the disasters themselves are completely neutral and value-less.

With terrorist attacks it's not solely the loss of life that we perceive to be most significant - it's the intent. That's why murder is obviously recognised as much higher a crime than manslaughter. As we know, the attacks on September 11th were no accident - they were the calculated actions of a number of people who saw no wrong in indiscriminately murdering thousands of innocent people. This was not only one of the most abhorrent acts in humanity's ugly history, but quite unprecedented in other ways - whilst the murdering of the innocent is never reasonable, it could be said that the terrorism of the I.R.A. and other such groups were at least in a twisted sense somewhat reasonable in that it tended to be public figures (with political influence) who were targeted, and if not then warnings would often be given to people before the bomb detonated. Also significant is that it could always be counted on that the attackers would try to preserve their own life and thus prevention was easier.

As we know, the September 11th attacks marked the arrival of a new form of terrorism - a wholly irrational, unreasonable and indiscriminate evil. What could be a more disturbing thing than that? And what is most disturbing is that contrary to how we often would like to think - these terrorists were people, just like you and I in our common humanity. And so it raises so many questions. For one, just how is a person capable of such evil? Just think, if you or your family would have been in those towers, you would have been murdered, no matter what your politics or identity, you'd have been murdered for the sake of murder. My point is it's an equivocation to compare the September 11th attacks with deaths caused by natural events - the body count isn't the only significant factor in evaluating the significance of events leading to mass death, it's the motives and nature of the death too. More people died fighting WWII than in the Holocaust but the latter is certainly more evil and demands even more recollection than the fighting of the war itself in terms of the issues it raises.

On a side note, I can't help but feel that people that see fit to joke about these kind of things are just in denial of the true nature of them and the questions they raise. It's not only heartless but delusional.

On a side note, I can't help but feel that people that see fit to joke about these kind of things are just in denial of the true nature of them and the questions they raise. It's not only heartless but delusional.

Sorry, but you can get off of your moral high horse, because that's bullshit. You think that I don't understand what happened? I think there would be a lot of people that would argue that humor is some peoples' way of dealing with stuff like this. What's the point in moping around feeling sorry for yourself or angry at the people behind it when it won't help anything?

I didn't joke about it at the time. But I don't feel the need to look back on it constantly and think "Oh god the world is such a horrible place that day will haunt me for the rest of my life etc"; because that would be depressing, and to be quite honest I don't fancy leading a depressing life, thanks.

80,000 were killed in Sichuan this year as a result of those earthquakes. 1 million were left homeless.

It's time to move on from 9/11 and start dealing with today's problems, even if they're not conveniently videotaped and put on TV for your viewing convenience.

Sorry, but you can get off of your moral high horse, because that's bullshit. You think that I don't understand what happened? I think there would be a lot of people that would argue that humor is some peoples' way of dealing with stuff like this. What's the point in moping around feeling sorry for yourself or angry at the people behind it when it won't help anything?

I didn't joke about it at the time. But I don't feel the need to look back on it constantly and think "Oh god the world is such a horrible place that day will haunt me for the rest of my life etc"; because that would be depressing.

I'm not saying joking about this stuff means you don't understand, I just think it's a way of ignoring the reality of it, as you say yourself. You see that as a good thing, 'cos you don't want to be depressed. I don't think that makes it justifiable.

Sometimes sadness and reflection is necessary, no more so than in considering something like this; it's definitely more necessary than to joke about a tragic event and thus show disrespect for all those who died and those affected just for the sake of you not feeling a bit sad for five minutes. And people talk about feeling sorry - it's not for themselves, as you suggest, it's for all those bereaved people and families. Why would we feel sorry for ourselves because of September 11th if we're not involved? It's that kind of thinking where we can't see past our own emotions that is so destructive.

But unlike the holocaust, the deaths of 11/9 (from the way the media/government talk about it) are of little importance.

Huh? I don't get what you mean? Do you mean politically? Because if so you are just plain objectivley wrong.

Not that this is that relvant. I mean they are important mostly to the families of course.

I get what you mean Dyson and I have laughed at say your grandad died in concentration camp he fell off a tower jokes.

But thats not the same as going into a 9/11 thread and saying "good times"

That's just disgusting. And people can call me whatever they like and say you are being flamed but you aren't being flamed cause its justifiable to be appalled at someone saying 9/11 was good times. And I realise yes there are earthquakes etc were more people died but this isn't the thread about that.

I'd rather not this thread turn into a war of words though so I guess I am just as bad as the people I am having a go at. I just wanted to articulate my point.

I want an honest answer for this that isn't something along the lines of "omg how can you say such a thing Dyson that's terrible!".

What's the use in feeling sorry for someone else in this situation? You can't offer a solution to the problem, the best thing you can do is help them get on with it, like a lot of people have. Joking about it in no way means I am ignoring the reality of the situation, I simply choose not to think about it and think about the sins of mankind and how we're all going downhill blah blah blah.

I've paid my respects to the dead and to those affected by the attack. I did this during the first few weeks of it happening. Then I decided I didn't want it to affect me anymore so decided there was no point in me dwelling on it. Why should I?

But thats not the same as going into a 9/11 thread and saying "good times"

That's just disgusting. And people can call me whatever they like and say you are being flamed but you aren't being flamed cause its justifiable to be appalled at someone saying 9/11 was good times. And I realise yes there are earthquakes etc were more people died but this isn't the thread about that.

That would be true if he meant what he said, which I don't believe he did. Its a sarcastic comment to someone who felt nostalgic about the 9/11.

If you have paid your respects and stuff then power to you. I'm not tryna be a psycho and be like you must pay your respects aghhhhh! etc lol

Ijust don't get why you had to come in the thread and say good times thats all.