Do The Test.

Caris

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really there was a bear?

Wow I'm so stupid. Why do I even try these tests when it's clear that I'll never pass them because I've been asked another question so my attention is elsewhere. I'm so stupid.

Apparently when the experiement was originally done on a large scale amongst a number of scholars, they refused to believe that the footage shown after they'd been informed was the same footage. Also, what happened to your awesome stick dudes sig??

I 'failed'.

Whilst this is cool, essentially it boils down to, "You didn't see something you weren't looking at!" This makes it a good advert for cyclist awareness, but the revelation is more one of common sense than psychology.

And you, with your lack of cool avatar! Boooo! As for your actual post, you'd think that, but it has some rather interesting implications for psychology and models of attention. Such a paradigm hadn't really been considered before this, or so said my lecturer(she loves showing it off too :heh:). I like it, because alot of people find it such an astounding thing to happen, humans unfortunately tend to think much higher of themselves than is actually true.

Guest Stefkov
Apparently when the experiement was originally done on a large scale amongst a number of scholars, they refused to believe that the footage shown after they'd been informed was the same footage. Also, what happened to your awesome stick dudes sig??

Sarcasm doesn't work in words. And my sig, I swap and change a lot so I wouldn't get used to me having the same for long periods of time.

Sarcasm doesn't work in words. And my sig, I swap and change a lot so I wouldn't get used to me having the same for long periods of time.

Lol, I got the sarcasm bit, I just thought it was interesting how hard some people tried to deny it originally, instead of reasoning that it's, well, quite reasonable to miss it, like you did.

Your missing the point. Seeing the bear isnt good. It shows that you cant concentrate well and have trouble focusing. The closer you are to the number is better but if your doing it right your not supposed to even see the bear until the second running.

I really don't see how you people can miss it. Man if you guys were reading a book some guy could wave his hand in your face, nick your telly and drive away in your car and you wouldn't even see it. I remember seeing this on a program once, but In the program they also had the gorrillas. I kept asking everyone why there were gorrilas and they were like "What are you on about? There's no gorrilas, you talk rubbish."

I really don't see how you people can miss it.

Because you're given the instruction to count the passes, so that is your objective whilst watching. To count the passes you focus on the ball, not the people, as that's the easiest way to keep track.

Or maybe it's just that we can't all be herculean supermen with your obviously God-like abilities.

Because you're given the instruction to count the passes, so that is your objective whilst watching. To count the passes you focus on the ball, not the people, as that's the easiest way to keep track.

Or maybe it's just that we can't all be herculean supermen with your obviously God-like abilities.

I know the logic behind it. But the dude walks in front of the ball. Did nobody think, "Somebody get that fucking bear out of the way I'm trying to count the number of passes."? If somebody walked in front of the tv whilst you were watching it then you would notice.

I know the logic behind it. But the dude walks in front of the ball. Did nobody think, "Somebody get that fucking bear out of the way I'm trying to count the number of passes."? If somebody walked in front of the tv whilst you were watching it then you would notice.

You can't compare this to watching TV. It's a test, and that means you're going to be paying special attention as opposed to the more passive experience of watching a normal programme. Television generally doesn't require people to even look at the screen half the time, whereas the ostensible purpose of this video was to test the viewer's ability to pay attention to a specific aspect.

Also, the easiest way to keep track of the ball is by focusing on its colour and shape — traits not shared by the people, be they in bear costumes or not. Objects behind or in front of it are extraneous information, so most people that are paying attention to the ball will filter them out.

You can't compare this to watching TV. It's a test, and that means you're going to be paying special attention as opposed to the more passive experience of watching a normal programme. Television generally doesn't require people to even look at the screen half the time, whereas the ostensible purpose of this video was to test the viewer's ability to pay attention to a specific aspect.

Also, the easiest way to keep track of the ball is by focusing on its colour and shape — traits not shared by the people, be they in bear costumes or not. Objects behind or in front of it are extraneous information, so most people that are paying attention to the ball will filter them out.

But like I said, the bear was in front of the ball. Do people not find it strange that the ball's colour is suddenly brown and it's shape is much larger and more humanoid? I'm sorry but I can't quite fathom it. I could understand if the bear was in the background but he wasn't, he walked in front of the ball.

PS: Did I point out that the bear walked in front of the ball?

Try to pay attention, MoogleViper.

I could say the same to all of the people who missed it. Or maybe that was the problem.

I did notice that part to which I replied "Do people not find it strange that the ball's colour is suddenly brown and it's shape is much larger and more humanoid?" I don't think I have much more to say than what I already have and I doubt I will be able to properly understand it. To me it's like teaching somebody to walk.

So we'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't think we're disagreeing about anything. You said you can't understand how people can miss the bear, but it definitely can happen — I and many other people in this thread will attest to that.

As for why we don't switch focus to the bear when the ball goes behind it, if you were watching someone running and they went behind a wall would you wonder why they turned into a rectangle of bricks? If you play first person shooters then you've probably come across a similar situation trying to snipe someone, and if they run behind something you don't just stop tracking them, you try to calculate whereabouts they might be in the hope you can pick up on their position again.

I'm not arguing here; you said you didn't understand so I'm trying to illustrate why it happens. If you were concentrating on the ball and caught the bear as well then perhaps you simply have good peripheral vision. Or have trouble focusing on things. Or have a fear of bears that makes their form jump out at you. Who knows?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!