Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Seven New Deadly Sins

Slaggis

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pope = figurehead for people who aren't intelligent enough to use their own brain to work out what's morally acceptable and what's not.

Just so happens he does an absolutely shit job at it.

*Would make a joke about Irish people and Catholisism, but has met some very intelligent Irish people, so does not think the stereotype stands true*

Pope = figurehead for people who aren't intelligent enough to use their own brain to work out what's morally acceptable and what's not.

So what you're saying is that I can't think for myself?

As a Catholic I'm finding all of your comments very offensive, kindly stop it.

*Would make a joke about Irish people and Catholisism, but has met some very intelligent Irish people, so does not think the stereotype stands true*

Good choice ;)

As for the new sins, I've committed 3 of them, I support stem cell research and hope to be excessively wealthy within the next 10-15 years, so I guess thats 5 out of 7 I won't be following. Oh well.

/bashing

Unfortunetly the world does not work the way certain people want it and merely proclaiming that a world is full of such 7 sins isn't going to make them disappear.

Its similar to the queen saying about excessive wealth, I'm sorry but I cannot follow someone that proclaims something like that and then ignores it.

This also goes with creatin poverty, well just take a step in england and look how many people are struggling to find a job because of immagrants coming into the country and working for less money and willing to take more crap than others. It's not just in third world countries.

Drug violation, does this also include live saving drugs too? Does the pope expect people to stop taking drugs immediately even the crack addicts? It doesn't happen overnight.

Contreception, well frankly, this would conincide with the legal laws of a person wanting to have a sex, why should a teenager be denied sex when they are above legal age and do not wish to have a child?

Pollution, hmm..well that's a toughy, what happens everytime a catholic or the pope himself eats something? Or whenever as crude as it is for me to say it what does he use when he's been to the toilet. It has to go somewhere 'm afraid.

The rules as nice as it would be to have a perfect world, proclaiming like that just aren't realistic.

These are pointless, why did they bother, ok true some of them are "bad" (i say some, because seriously, "genetic engineering" a sin... WTF?)

I won't except these as the seven deadly sins, the original ones were much better.... and seeing as all of them were one word sounded much better.... oh and cuz of Fullmetal Alchemist, seriously they wouldn't be able to name a character "obscene wealth"

So what you're saying is that I can't think for myself?

I find the Catholic church's teachings offensive. So there, we stand equal.

I was a Catholic once, then got over it.

Realistically, I would be much more inclined to be religious if there weren't third person parties tainting God's word.

What ever happened to "I may not agree with what you have to say, but shall defend to the death your right to say it"? He's just saying that he thinks the teachings of the Catholic church are stupid, and why. As long as he's giving decent reasons (which he is), your sole defence is personal opinion, which, well, isn't really a defence...

I've seen a slightly altering lists....eg: i've seen lists with Pedophilia listed.... is there more than 7 sins, or some confusion as to whats on it.

For example couldn't numbers 5 and 6 in the list on the first post in this thread be the same?

"Contributing to widening divide between rich and poor, Excessive wealth"

And if they did add "pedophilia" to the list... why not just "rape" in general

6. Excessive wealth

Yeah and the vatican doesn't do both of them does it? :indeed:

In the article in the times it said that the pope has acknowledged that some people within the vatican are guilty of this. Though he didn't say the vatican or church as an establishment are guilty of this 'sin'

Sorry but stem cell research isn't a sin. Embryonic SC research may be. This reminds me of when the vatican wanted scientists all killed for speaking out against the taught beliefs of the church during in the last 2000 years.

As for birth control? It makes me lol! The vatican doesn't live in the real world. In their world abstinence is the ultimate birth control, and a child's life is precious. Even when the child is a bunch of cells, or may be born into a horrible life and be resented by it's mother. Also irrespective of if the woman was raped or otherwise inseminated.

The catholic church makes me sick. I say this as someone who was brought up a catholic and used to be an alter boy. The church is the one thing that causes the biggest divide between people and god imo. If god does indeed exist.

This all just smacks of a church wanting more people to go to confession for fear of going to hell if they don't confess before death. More people who go to church and confession = more money for the church + more power and influence.

Right, time to channel my moderating years:

This thread is quickly becoming a retread of every religion-based topic that's ever marred General Chit-Chat. As the writing's on the wall in regards to the obvious hypocrisy of some of these new 'sins', I don't think there's anything to be gained from everyone piling on.

So, to take things in a slightly different direction, if you were to pen some contemporary sins what would they be?

So, to take things in a slightly different direction, if you were to pen some contemporary sins what would they be?

1) It is a sin to willingly or purposefully cause suffering upon another person.

Thats the main one I'd have. Everything else is an aferthought.

I find the Catholic church's teachings offensive. So there, we stand equal.

I was a Catholic once, then got over it.

Realistically, I would be much more inclined to be religious if there weren't third person parties tainting God's word.

What ever happened to "I may not agree with what you have to say, but shall defend to the death your right to say it"? He's just saying that he thinks the teachings of the Catholic church are stupid, and why. As long as he's giving decent reasons (which he is), your sole defence is personal opinion, which, well, isn't really a defence...

No, what he said was that all Catholics are people who aren't intelligent enough to think for themselves.

The Pope is a hatred inciting prat. He shouldn't be a public figure. If he was just an ordinary man stating the same views he would be condemned as intolerant, as a religious leader he gets away with saying his sick comments scot free.

I don't think I can respect anyone who holds the Pope in anything but utter contempt.

No, what he said was that all Catholics are people who aren't intelligent enough to think for themselves.

It could be reasonably argued that all fairly religious people don't think for themselves, but, well, Chairdriver was a little general...

I don't think I can respect anyone who holds the Pope in anything but utter contempt.

Now that I do agree with... :indeed:

The Pope is a hatred inciting prat. He shouldn't be a public figure. If he was just an ordinary man stating the same views he would be condemned as intolerant, as a religious leader he gets away with saying his sick comments scot free.

I couldn't agree with you more, Daft. He gets away with saying what he wants, and then people actually follow his views. It's a little bit mental. Why people listen to him really confuses me, he's just some old guy spreading the wrong message (for the most part).

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!