N-Europe

Who are Beavis and Butthead?

Dog-amoto

Family Guy just focuses on delivering gags relating to real life really. Some of the execution is brilliant. When I'm watching comedy cartoons the story never really bothers me, in fact real life piss takes (Tom Cruise in South Park for instance) seem to make me smile the most. :)

What makes me feel old is that as of two weeks ago there are people born in the 90s who can legally drink. The 90s!!!

That fact frankly terrifies me.

I think the moment that made me feel the oldest was when I was talking to my neighbours kid who is about 8 and she had not a clue who MC Hammer was. I went home a cried into a pair of parachute pants while listening to "You Can't Touch This" and mourning my steady downhill decline toward the grave.

Beavis and Butthead have the same problem as South Park is that the essence of the comedy is satirical (sp?). It creates 2 audience by accident, the first who understand the satire and laugh because the 2 guys remind them of their stoner friends and the growing drop-out culture of the early 90s (while occasionally getting a giggle out of the stupid stuff). The second is the group that actually find the fart jokes, the "i'd fuck your mum" jokes and so on funny and that's all that they get out of the show. They worry me...

Strangely though, it makes this massive void somewhere between those 2 audiences that find it not funny at all. Most people wouldn't do nowadays because the subject matter isn't relevant.

Strangely though, it makes this massive void somewhere between those 2 audiences that find it not funny at all. Most people wouldn't do nowadays because the subject matter isn't relevant.

Strangely? You mean people who aren't immature and like some well thought jokes, not a couple of idiots sniggering in a daft way at stuff? Sorry but that's surely most people in that void.

Strangely? You mean people who aren't immature and like some well thought jokes, not a couple of idiots sniggering in a daft way at stuff? Sorry but that's surely most people in that void.

Strange in the fact that the audience is cleaved in two. There are few forms of comdey that do something similar. Only one I can think of is the dual-comdedic-reality that make things like the Simpsons or Shrek where there are jokes for kids and jokes for (certain types of) adults.

You've also illustrated my point about people not getting the satire.

You said that the 2 audiences were: 1- people who got the satire but laughed because it reminded them of their stoner mates in the 90's and 2. people who laughed at the immature gags. I don't have any stoner mates, and I'm not an idiot. So I guess I have no reason to laugh. :yay:

Exaclty, you've proven the reason why some people don't get the satire. Sorry if I was making it sound like you weren't getting it because you were thick or anything. It's just irrelevant. In a similar way many South Park episodes are no where near as funny as when they first came out because they have to remember what global events were going on at the time, rather than on first watch when it is instantly relevant. And blah....