Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Post Your CV / Resume

fex

At the minute I'm applying for loads of jobs. So i just thought people could post their CV's / Resum?s and we could compare and give feedback.

2150143352_6ca25a1e4b_b.jpg

I've quickly knocked this one up for a job I will be applying for. It's a little busier than I would of liked, it's hard getting the right balance so it's not to busy on the eyes, but still has enough information.

________

SexualControl

Edited by fex

Skills/Abilities

After completing Computing at a Higher Level I have built up good office skills, I can use word-processing, spreadsheet and database products very efficiently and quickly. I also have a Higher grade at maths which shows I have good numeracy skills. Collaborating with users on and off the internet, I have started developing large-scale websites and community based websites. I am frequently in demand to give support to other users on the computer, including neighbours, relatives and the children’s charity Childline.

I am a member of the men’s tennis team at Killearn Tennis Club. This has helped improve my communication skills by meeting and working with people much older than me who I have never met before. I have been reading at Church for 3 years now which has given me good confidence in public speaking. I also did a speech in front of half of the school when applying for the position House Captain.

At school I am a member of the Charities Committee, which I am helping raise money for various charities by organising fundraising events. These have been very successful in the past. Throughout my 6th year at school I was regularly helping with younger years PE classes which has helped developed my teaching skills in a wide variety of sports and activities. Completing the Duke of Edinburgh’s award scheme helped build up my skills of working flexibly within a team, and I am now putting this into practice as a school prefect.

Work History

I have been working at Esporta Milngavie as a lifeguard since March 2007. This has greatly increased my confidence as I am in charge of the whole poolside area and shows my responsibility and my ability to follow instructions.

I recently did a weeks work experience at Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park. I provided content for their website and expanded on my communication skills by working with people I had never met before.

I baby-sit on a regular basis for neighbours and my little sister where I have a reputation for good timekeeping, being responsible and getting on well with children.

Education

School after finishing my 6th year, obtaining Higher Grades in English, Maths, Physics, Computing, Business Management, Modern Studies and Physical Education.

In September 2007, I started university and The University of Strathclyde, studying Business Law, Enterprise, Technology and Marketing.

Qualifications

NaRS Qualified Lifeguard STC (Beginners) - Swimming Teachers Award I hold a full UK Drivers License. Junior First Aid Duke of Edinburgh’s Award - Bronze and Silver

For my Duke of Edinburgh’s Silver award I did a 3-day canoeing expedition, which helped, build up teamwork skills and surviving without anyone to do things for me. I also did 6 months worth of conservation at Mugdock County Park helping with the wildlife.

PADI Bronze Scuba diver

--------

Haven't updated it for ages. Need to add in:

-Lifeguard job, 9 months now

-Started Uni

-Few other things which I can't think of

It's properly formatted in Word too but I just quickly copied and pasted it into here.

Nice CV, fex. I like the stylish presentation - but seriously, you shouldn't post all your details online like that. And people wonder why they get spam and junk phone calls all the time :nono:

I don't have much in the way of a CV right now, I've only had one proper job and I've been doing webdesigns for a living since I started Uni. Still, a couple more of those to boost my portfolio and it'll be a decent addition :D

and youve also spelt comfortable wrong

lol

OMG, Photoshop needs a spell checker!!! I'm glad I posted this up or I would of looked a right plonker, I hate reading though my work!

EDIT : I have found the spell check in photoshop.

________

Kitchen Measures

Edited by fex

Gonna be tough to find work along that degree path at the moment but good luck anyway. If you can use all that software to a good level you shouldn't have any problems though.

Yeh tbh its an absolute nightmare finding a job in the media, everything petty much requires you to have experience. Which is almost impossible to get in a small shitty town. I can can't afford to move away and get experience without having a full time job to pay rent. So im kinda in a catch 22 situation, yet im getting a fair bit of freelance work (although its in design) im sure that will help, kinda, maybe. God im dooooooomed!

________

Best Replay Starcraft 2

Edited by fex

Tips I've been given over the years for Resumes:

I used to be a manager in a hotel and I remember we had a hotel manager whom said if he got ANY C.V's that weren't in A4 envelopes he binned them straight away!

Generally any CV over 2 pages is a HUGE NO! And YES!! Everyone has social skills. It's just jargon for "I drink" or "I play online". Think different.

I would reccommend you have as many CV's as possible tailored to the jobs you are applying for. And it IS OK to 'tailor' the truth. This pisses people off who know you but don't blag you have a degree in sports and sciences if you don't. Keep it simple. Tweaking is key. It's dog eat dog. Be the big bastard dog. He gets the bone.

Getting the job is all about making a lasting impression. Things like an A4 envelope, liberal use of the colour blue and keeping it "job specific" (even have a SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS section if need be) There are too many people put the same info down. Like saying they have teamwork skills from Duke of Edinburgh then saying they have teamwork skills from a paper-round. Good managers pick up on these things.

And if you get the interview do the obvious things like washing, wearing a shirt..But really be enthusiastic. Enthusiasm speaks volumes. If you are enthusiastic people remember you.

Just my 'maybe' obvious tips for people. :awesome:

Oh, if I was to be a cynical t*** I would just point out that NONE of the above matters if:

A) One of the applicants knows the boss

B) It's a council job (90% internal)

Woolworths - Sales Assistant - Sept 2003 - Sept 2005

responsibilities: Helping customers and shit

Game - Acting Assistant Manager Sept 2005 - Jan 2008

(promoted from Keyholder in Sept 2007. promoted from Sales Assistant October 2006)

responsibilities: Everything.

In a nutshell.

But that is a stylish looking one fex.

Tips I've been given over the years for Resumes:

I used to be a manager in a hotel and I remember we had a hotel manager whom said if he got ANY C.V's that weren't in A4 envelopes he binned them straight away!

Generally any CV over 2 pages is a HUGE NO! And YES!! Everyone has social skills. It's just jargon for "I drink" or "I play online". Think different.

I would reccommend you have as many CV's as possible tailored to the jobs you are applying for. And it IS OK to 'tailor' the truth. This pisses people off who know you but don't blag you have a degree in sports and sciences if you don't. Keep it simple. Tweaking is key. It's dog eat dog. Be the big bastard dog. He gets the bone.

Getting the job is all about making a lasting impression. Things like an A4 envelope, liberal use of the colour blue and keeping it "job specific" (even have a SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS section if need be) There are too many people put the same info down. Like saying they have teamwork skills from Duke of Edinburgh then saying they have teamwork skills from a paper-round. Good managers pick up on these things.

And if you get the interview do the obvious things like washing, wearing a shirt..But really be enthusiastic. Enthusiasm speaks volumes. If you are enthusiastic people remember you.

Just my 'maybe' obvious tips for people. :awesome:

I agree with everything you have just said, especially It's dog eat dog. Be the big bastard dog. He gets the bone. I agree sometimes it's hard to big yourself up, but in such a competitive industry its a must!

My girlfriend gets really mad when I say to her, I'm doing my CV again. This usually is just tweaking it to the specific job that I'm applying for, yet she doesn't she why it's nessercary.

________

ZOLOFT SICKNESS

Edited by fex

Well here's mine, latest job was added today so this isn't exactly what I'd send off if actually applying for something new.

CV-CE.jpg

CV-CE2.jpg

The image quality isn't great due to having to convert it a couple of times. I did have a better PDF but the forum won't allow it due to the size.

I think the best tips I have are:

1. Don't write CV / Curriculem Vitae on it - its obvious what it is.

2. Print it in high quality on nice thick paper. Then don't bend it, so as others have said, send it in a nice A4 envelope.

You should include a covering letter when putting in your CV too. My dad used to say when he ran a shop that any covering letter that was written on lined paper (this was inthe days before computers) he would bin it straight away. Presentation is everything, make it look good to stand out.

• 2 weeks later...

Serious question:

How do you say you enjoy working with children without sound like a Pedo?

Completing the Duke of Edinburgh’s award scheme helped build up my skills of working flexibly within a team, and I put this into practice as a school prefect where I worked as part of a team to help out younger pupils in 2nd year registration class.

"where I quickly built up a strong relationship with the class" sounds a bit wrong..