Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Hospital

canand

An abscess is a collection of pus that has accumulated in a cavity formed by the tissue on the basis of an infectious process (usually caused by bacteria or parasites) or other foreign materials (e.g. splinters or bullet wounds). It is a defensive reaction of the tissue to prevent the spread of infectious materials to other parts of the body.

The organisms or foreign materials kill the local cells, resulting in the release of toxins. The toxins trigger an inflammatory response, which draws large numbers of white blood cells to the area and increases the regional blood flow.

The final structure of the abscess is an abscess wall, or capsule, that is formed by the adjacent healthy cells in an attempt to keep the pus from infecting neighboring structures. However, such encapsulation tends to prevent immune cells from attacking bacteria in the pus, or from reaching the causative organism or foreign object.

Abscesses must be differentiated from empyemas, which are accumulations of pus in a preexisting rather than a newly formed anatomical cavity.

An abscess is a collection of pus that has accumulated in a cavity formed by the tissue on the basis of an infectious process (usually caused by bacteria or parasites) or other foreign materials (e.g. splinters or bullet wounds). It is a defensive reaction of the tissue to prevent the spread of infectious materials to other parts of the body.

The organisms or foreign materials kill the local cells, resulting in the release of toxins. The toxins trigger an inflammatory response, which draws large numbers of white blood cells to the area and increases the regional blood flow.

The final structure of the abscess is an abscess wall, or capsule, that is formed by the adjacent healthy cells in an attempt to keep the pus from infecting neighboring structures. However, such encapsulation tends to prevent immune cells from attacking bacteria in the pus, or from reaching the causative organism or foreign object.

Abscesses must be differentiated from empyemas, which are accumulations of pus in a preexisting rather than a newly formed anatomical cavity.

So did you actually know that or did you just forget to cite your source?

Dude- I've had eye surgery. My operation was 'routine' but risky. Your operation sounds as if it's routine, and utterly low-risk. Don't worry about it! I mean, it doesn't matter even if you are, you'll be out of it.

I'm actually surprised - I don't really count anything as an operation unless it's a full general anaesthetic. You'll be fine! Hospital food really isn;t tha bad, and your situation will mean you won't be in a ward for very long at all.

It's fearful, but ultimately a tiny worry. At least you know how it will turn out. Nobody told me that my surgery would alter the status quo.

I had to have general anaesthetic a year or so ago, to expose my lower eye teeth. I could have had local, but that would've meant that I'd have had to sit still for 45 minutes and any movement could have caused permanent nerve damage, so I went for the general. It wasn't too bad, but the anaesthetic did make me feel ill for about a week afterwards, though I think such a reaction is fairly rare.

OK sorry.

Last time I went in to the hospital was to have an x-ray for the orthodontist. But it was the day after the halloween party and I was majorly hung over. When they were x-raying my jaw my vision wen black and my body went weak so I just sat on the floor and waited for it to come back. The nurse looked at me and said, "What's wrong don't you like dentists?"

Another time I had to have this camera shoved up my nostrils. I will have to have an operation in a few years, when I've stopped growing, as I can't breathe through my nose. For you medical students I have a bent septum and the tissue is swollen and inflamed (I think that's right).

I had to have general anaesthetic a year or so ago, to expose my lower eye teeth. I could have had local, but that would've meant that I'd have had to sit still for 45 minutes and any movement could have caused permanent nerve damage, so I went for the general. It wasn't too bad, but the anaesthetic did make me feel ill for about a week afterwards, though I think such a reaction is fairly rare.

I had something similar done to one of my top teeth but didn't get a choice - I had to get the general anaesthetic.

2 and a half years later it is finally in the right place. 2 or 3 more visits before I get rid of my brace! Really can't wait!

• 1 month later...

I had it on Wednesday 12th December and came out the next day and I had good Hospital food but I have to wait for my operation and I did not have it tell the afternoon and I was so hungery I had the operation and I asked for a Sandwhich and they said I need to drink 2 jugs of water and I couldent drink 2 jugs but I had tea and 5:00 and I had a midnight snack. they told my Mum to go some where and the canteen was full and she have to go outside in the cold and some one from the hopital said my mum can stay with me becuse I got Special Needs and then they told my mum to go home.The next day they told me to wash the wond and I cant and they did not do it for me and my doctor came in and said I could go home then when they gone I phoned my mum on my tv/phone thing to come and get me.

Guest Stefkov

I've had quite a few operations its's scary to think back. I've lost count of how many on my ears for Gromits. It was like 5 years of them, then 3 years of T-tubes and finally not long ago they were out.

I've had one on my face cos I knocked out some teeth and basically ripped my face apart.

I figured I'd turn this thread into a general operations thread seeing as though it's back from the depths of page 2 and onwards.