The Book Thread

Oxigen_Waste

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Author: Douglas Adams (Hitchiker's guide to the galaxy)

8.5/10

A good read. I haven't read HGTG I've justs seen the film. But this is a really good buch. The way it is written is quite different. There is a lot of digression. "It is my firm belief in the interconnectedness of all things" This is pretty much what the book is like.

"A thumping good detective-ghost-horror-who dunnit-time travel-romantic-musical-comedy-epic." -The author

MURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMI

started to read The wind-up bird chronicle last november. Couldn't believe how brilliant he is! Everyone should read his work! A true original modern masterpiece!

MURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMIMURAKAMI

started to read The wind-up bird chronicle last november. Couldn't believe how brilliant he is! Everyone should read his work! A true original modern masterpiece!

He is indeed great. ...hell to understand in original Japanese though.

Hard-Boiled Wonderland & The End Of The World.

I'm currently reading "My Loose Thread" by Dennis Cooper. It's really rather dirty!

Update: Wow, this book is written in such a confusing style. It bounces from one place to the next, and then suddenly gets either all sexual or all violent. I love it though!

Just finished To Kill A Mockingbird. What a beautiful little book, filled with charm and character, Lee gives you an amazing atmosphere to work with and a story filled with depth presented through an ingenious narrative. Loved it.

Now then, now then,

To Kill A Mockingbird is without a doubt the greatest book i've ever read, even greater than tLOTR or Murakami novels. It's like concentrated novelistic perfection, spread over a couple hundred pages. It has a beautiful plot which conjures up majesty and the racial tension of the times, along with the inequality and how ill treated black people were in the deep south in the early/mid 1900s.

Anyone who doesn't read this book, the only one Harper Lee has ever written, seriously needs their head looking at.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumpdebumpbump. Started reading through Pride and Predjudice and I'm about 60 pages through but I'm not finding it interesting at all. To anyone who has read it, does it remain similar throughout or does it 'pick up' somewhere?

Pride and Prejudice is fantastic, it's a pretty easy read too, and the chapters are pretty short. I thought it was pretty great throughout, but it gets more interesting as the whole Darcy/Elizabeth thing develops.

Currently reading: The Great Gatsby, again. Because it's perfect.

Bumpdebumpbump. Started reading through Pride and Predjudice and I'm about 60 pages through but I'm not finding it interesting at all. To anyone who has read it, does it remain similar throughout or does it 'pick up' somewhere?

If you haven't read any other Jane Austen, then no, it's like that all the way through. Personally I find Austen interesting to analyse but boring to actually read.

Back when I was doing A level literature we were studying that book(Gatsby), but I haven't looked at it since =/ The teacher was always very enthusiastic about it, I imagine I would have liked it as well. Enjoyed the first three chapters enough =P

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!