Oxigen_Waste

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aw you really should. it's proper awesome'

The sky was the colour of a television set tuned to nothingness

he's such a good writer :)

I know, I know! I will make an effort to start it after Dune Messiah. I'm half way through and its not very long so it looks promising!

Yeah i've read Happy Birthday Jack Nicholson, it's mental to think HST actually did that to poor Jack. I got it for 99p from Penguin's 75th anniversary celebration of something or other, where they had 75 pieces of work from different authors, either a single story or a collection of them. I got about six of them but lost a few more.

That whole collection is great! I've got loads of them, because my big sis works at Penguin, and they are fantastic. Try The Country of the Blind by H.G. Wells if you haven't yet.

Talking about getting free books I get off my sister :heh: Has anyone read Chess by Stefan Zweig? Its a fantastic book, definitely one of my favorite three books ever. You don't have to like chess to enjoy it but its an amazing read. Not surprisingly, it really got me interested in chess.

9780141023373.jpg

I'm currently reading through The Whitsun Weddings by Philip Larkin. I'm loving it, most of the poems are really really great, too bad that poem that gives it's name to the compilation is a bit shit.

Alsoooo...currently reading The Spire. It's one of the most densely written books I've ever read. I've found new stuff reading through chapters multiple times. It's very good. Golding is phat yo.

I only have Notes From The Underground from Dostoevsky. I felt it quite hard but it is fatty. Must read The Brothers Karamasov soon.

Also: I can't not think of Brent when I read Dostoevsky.

Double Also: Is the HST story the one with the Elk heart?

Most of his books are quite "fatty," or so I've heard, I've only read through Crime and Punishment, but after the first hundred and fifty pages or so...it's like three hundred of him declaring his guilt over and over. Loved the book though.

Yup :)

I've only read Money by ol' Amis Jr. I think I read the beginning of another of his books but it didn't seem as gripping as Money. Which ones do you recommend?

I can only recommend The Information and Visiting Mrs. Nabokov. London Fields will get read after TI. And Money is Out at the library so I will have to wait for that.

I will probably buy Yellow Dog/The Rachel Papers/Koba the Dread to read over Christmas.

Whoever asked about Hemingway: I would start with The Sun Also Rises. It's a good access point.

That whole collection is great! I've got loads of them, because my big sis works at Penguin, and they are fantastic. Try The Country of the Blind by H.G. Wells if you haven't yet.

I can't find them anymore. I used to get one every time I went to leeds to see my now ex-girlfriend :(

Talking about getting free books I get off my sister :heh: Has anyone read Chess by Stefan Zweig? Its a fantastic book, definitely one of my favorite three books ever. You don't have to like chess to enjoy it but its an amazing read. Not surprisingly, it really got me interested in chess.

My dad told me something about that book. I'm already into chess, so I'll definitely look into it.

the last thread like this suggested i read the dark tower series, which i did, and loved :) so whats next...

Read Dune.

I can't find them anymore. I used to get one every time I went to leeds to see my now ex-girlfriend :(

I've given my sister the task of finding me one of these for Xmas. You can find different editions of the stories if you really want, but these were so convenient...and cheap!

My dad told me something about that book. I'm already into chess, so I'll definitely look into it.

Its a great read. I think I might go and read it again actually! :heh:

Lots of heavy reading going on round these parts it seems. I can't read heavy books, they just don't interest me. I tend to go for either books that are funny, or that are in the "Teenage Fantasy" section of Waterstones. But, as loser-ish as that sounds, there's some nice stuff in there.

That's where Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, etc can be found.

I'm currently reading Lirael. It's alright, but it's not gripping.

pullman-northern_lights-uk.jpg

I'm re-reading Nothern Lights in time for the film which comes out in a couple weeks :D:D:D

Wooooooooooooo!!

This book is awesome! Just thought i'd get that out there for those of you who are too busy living under a koopa shell to have heard about it.

I've read 3 out of the 4 books of Hitchikers guide to the Galaxy, which is absolutly hilarious, and i'm taking a break before the final book. I never saw the movie so this is all new.

Forgot to say this earlier; there are five hitchhiker books. The fifth is called Mostly Harmless (and is much better than the very average fourth).

I'm re-reading Nothern Lights in time for the film which comes out in a couple weeks :D:D:D

Wooooooooooooo!!

This book is awesome! Just thought i'd get that out there for those of you who are too busy living under a koopa shell to have heard about it.

Jesus, that is an amazing book, but I'm pretty much certain that the film is going to taint it's image forever.

Jesus, that is an amazing book, but I'm pretty much certain that the film is going to taint it's image forever.

It is a great book, and the film probably won't follow the books exactly. However, the cool thing is that it'll probably get more people to read the series.

Lots of heavy reading going on round these parts it seems. I can't read heavy books, they just don't interest me. I tend to go for either books that are funny, or that are in the "Teenage Fantasy" section of Waterstones. But, as loser-ish as that sounds, there's some nice stuff in there.

That's where Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, etc can be found.

I'm currently reading Lirael. It's alright, but it's not gripping.

I read the Abhorsen triolgy a while back, and rather liked it actually. I'd like to read that new one of short stories, but I have so much else to read...

Am I the only one who's hyped to see Northen Lights despite knowing it won't live uo to the movie? :S

nope :P

It's been a few years since I read the books so the film can be viewed as a film, too.

Shorty just gave me a bunch of books that he rates highly, and would mention if he came in here;

Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland

Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Snow Falling on Cedars David Guterson

Atonement by Ian McEwan. Only read the Cement Garden by Mcewan before.

can't remember if I mentioned The Secret History by Donna Tartt, but that's another of the books he recommended me before and it was a good read.

I'm reading a book at the moment, it's really good! If you're into Harry Potter or fantasy in general, read this trilogy by Trudi Canavan: "The Black Magician" consisting of "The Magicians' Guild", "The Novice", and "The High Lord". They are really great, although they could have been written a little better, in my opinion. The story is cool, but it's the characters that really make these books readable. The character development and the way they behave is really compelling, you just want to read on because you want to know what happens to them!

In the first book, there is not much action, but it's still a bit thrilling. The action comes in the second book, though.

Just read it!

Ah, I love Northern Lights, the series is fantastic! I am just sad that they have made them into films now. I don't like them doing that to books. *sigh*

We're reading books based on the Holocaust for my course at the moment.

So, books like Maus (graphic novel) by Art Spiegalman.

Austerlitz, by Sebald. Which is a chore to read. There's one section which features an 11 page sentence.

And If This Is A Man by Primo Levi.

We're also reading Wide Sargasso Sea, which is pretty decent, as well. Not far into it yet, so hoping it gets better.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!