N-Europe

Is it me or are all Wireless Routers AWFUL

Demuwan

I've had countless problems with my Netgear DG834GT

000000003404.jpg

Awful piece of hardware, disconnects very regularly, stops sending Wireless signals, Internet connections is never the 108 Mbps its says, more like a 10th of that. Sent it back Seven times now and am just sick of the whole thing.

I thought wirelless was the way forward, but should I just get wired ports installed?

and can anyone recommend a decent router:(

000000003404.jpg

Awful piece of hardware, disconnects very regularly, stops sending Wireless signals, Internet connections is never the 108 Mbps its says, more like a 10th of that. Sent it back Seven times now and am just sick of the whole thing.

I thought wirelless was the way forward, but should I just get wired ports installed?

i have one of those, it doesnt disconnect much. but some times it runs at an all time slooooow.

I think it's all a bit pot luck with wireless routers. Sometimes they work and when they do, they are great, but if not I find them to be the most irritating thing in the world! We used to have an awful router but we got rid of that and currently have a BT home hub. I know alot of people think BT are shit and all their hardware is abysmal, but personally I've had no problems with either service or hardware. Sooooo much better than Telewest ever was in my opinion.

I have the same model as yours but only goes up to 54 Mbps. Possibly solutions is to rotate the router onto its side so that the aerial can point higher (will try and get a picture of what I mean), plus you could also change the location of your router or laptop/computer if possible and see if you get a better signal. Sometimes if there is a wall between the router and your laptop then could be a reason why the connection drops.

Also not sure if this applies here but a common misconception regarding the speed is that the 24...54...108 signals are the wireless signal connection speed, not the actual speed of your internet.

Like many has said above, the speed is much more consistent if you are wired up. At the moment I'm using wireless and it is a tad slower than if I was connected with a wire to the router,

Hope this helps :)

Lucky you, at least you can connect. Out of four laptops in the house, mine is the only one that won't connect to the router,even wired, so I have to use the neighbour's. But the signals are extremely weak so I'm lucky if I stay connected for more than ten minutes. The DS won't connect to it either, so the I have to use the neighbour's with that one too, with even worse signal. So stay away from D-Link 514 vb .

000000003404.jpg

What wireless card are you using at the other end? That Router is pretty good but you ain't gonna get 108Mbps if you're card in you're computer doesn't support it. If you've sent it back 7 times with no improvement than it's not the router thats the problem, you either have a crap WiFi card in you're computer or you're too far away and need a better arial

Lucky you, at least you can connect. Out of four laptops in the house, mine is the only one that won't connect to the router,even wired, so I have to use the neighbour's. But the signals are extremely weak so I'm lucky if I stay connected for more than ten minutes. The DS won't connect to it either, so the I have to use the neighbour's with that one too, with even worse signal. So stay away from D-Link 514 vb .

Sounds like the router has MAC address filtering on, you ain't gonna get it working without adding you're MAC address to the "allowed" list

What wireless card are you using at the other end? That Router is pretty good but you ain't gonna get 108Mbps if you're card in you're computer doesn't support it. If you've sent it back 7 times with no improvement than it's not the router thats the problem, you either have a crap WiFi card in you're computer or you're too far away and need a better arial

Im using the USB adapter that came with the router which is said to function at 108Mbps and Im not too far away because when it does work the signal is fairly strong. The problem is the shoddy hardware, that repeatedly breaks down.

000000003404.jpg

I have the exact same model, no problems what so ever.

Reinstall it from scratch, and make sure you follow it exactly.

Other than that, I suggest you ask your neighbours if they have wireless, and what model routers, as it may cause interference.

Sounds like the router has MAC address filtering on, you ain't gonna get it working without adding you're MAC address to the "allowed" list

The mac filter is disabled.

My laptop will be arriving soon and I have no more wired ports in my router...... Going to have to use it wireless.... Anyway, what's the chance of me getting a decent connection from the router on the floor below me? lol I don't have much experience with wireless so I'd really like to know. ^^;