N-Europe

The Movie News Thread!

Retro_Link

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes me so mad I want to die.

d00d/.....they're like the best films ever. Both are literally in my favourite films of all time. Probably spots 1 and 2.

Yeah but bear in mind we have wildly different tastes in films a lot of the time.

I only buy stuff on DVD that appeal to me or I think I'll really enjoy and take something away from...I dunno about these films. I'll investigate further.

The Ghostbusters movies are pure 90s nostalgia, on par with The Goonies for cultural relevance :) There's a certain kitsch element to them now, but it's hard for anyone who grew up with them to be able to view them objectively.

Basically; I'd be surprised if you rated them highly!

I've still not seen either Ghostbusters (there are 2, right?) movies in recent memory. I know I have seen one at some point, but I dont remember any of it.

However, I have been informed Sigourney Weaver is in them? Do want.

Sigourney Weaver is in them, and I find her pretty hot in the first film.

Funny though, I wonder how I'd view the Ghostbusters films if I were seeing them for the first time now. I grew up with them, and they're a huuuuuge part of my childhood and life now.

You're right...no human being would stack books like this.

I honestly don't know how I'd view Ghostbusters if I saw it for the first time today. I'd like to think that I'd still find Bill Murray funny. The man is a legend. It's not just the lines themselves that are funny, it's the way he delivers them too.

I honestly don't know how I'd view Ghostbusters if I saw it for the first time today. I'd like to think that I'd still find Bill Murray funny. The man is a legend. It's not just the lines themselves that are funny, it's the way he delivers them too.

I think I read somewhere that he improvised a lot during the first film, although it's not certain if this is just a myth. Although, his style of comedy is great, he's very dead-pan. Have you seen GroundHog Day? I think he's fantastic in that. His facial expressions are just great.

I think I read somewhere that he improvised a lot during the first film, although it's not certain if this is just a myth. Although, his style of comedy is great, he's very dead-pan. Have you seen GroundHog Day? I think he's fantastic in that. His facial expressions are just great.

I was actually thinking about Groundhog Day when I wrote that. It doesn't have the same nostalgia as Ghostbusters for me and I still found him great in it. That's why I think I'd still like Ghostbusters if I saw it for the first time nowerdays.

I heard that a lot of the lines were improvised in Ghostbusters too.

Random Trivia: In the middle of the film's initial release, to keep interest going, Ivan Reitman had a trailer run, which was basically the commercial the Ghostbusters' use in the movie, but with the 555 number replaced with a 1-800 number, allowing people to call. They got a recorded message of Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd saying something to the effect of "Hi. We're out catching ghosts right now." They got 1,000 calls per hour, 24 hours a day, for six weeks.

I was actually thinking about Groundhog Day when I wrote that. It doesn't have the same nostalgia as Ghostbusters for me and I still found him great in it. That's why I think I'd still like Ghostbusters if I saw it for the first time nowerdays.

I heard that a lot of the lines were improvised in Ghostbusters too.

Random Trivia: In the middle of the film's initial release, to keep interest going, Ivan Reitman had a trailer run, which was basically the commercial the Ghostbusters' use in the movie, but with the 555 number replaced with a 1-800 number, allowing people to call. They got a recorded message of Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd saying something to the effect of "Hi. We're out catching ghosts right now." They got 1,000 calls per hour, 24 hours a day, for six weeks.

He delivers a great performance in both, I think. They're too different ideas, but are very similar in some ways, imo. GroundHog day has some great moments, mind, and the supporting cast is pretty excellent, I think. Man, this type of comedy is about a billion times funnier than the American-Pie style garbage we get nowadays.

That's a great piece of trivia. :)

I feel old. I'm only 18 and yet Ghostbusters was strangely part of my Childhood!

Awesome film. Though I have to say I have not watched it for years :) I wander how I'd see it now. I doubt I could take off the nostalgia goggles, it is too good!

For me personally, the first time I watched it as a proper adult (approx 2-3 years ago) I got a lot more of the adult jokes, and it really enhanced the experience. I pre-ordered the Blu Ray today. Free Keyring ghet.

For me personally, the first time I watched it as a proper adult (approx 2-3 years ago) I got a lot more of the adult jokes, and it really enhanced the experience. I pre-ordered the Blu Ray today. Free Keyring ghet.

I watched it for the first time a few months ago and loved it.I still need to see the second.

X-Men: First Class

Lauren Shuler Donner, one of the producers of the X-Men films and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, spoke recently about the planned next picture in the franchise: X-Men: First Class. And the news coming out of that talk is a bit illuminating regarding which characters might actually show up in the film.

"It is the first class of Xavier's school, way back when, so it's young Scott, young Jean, young Beast, and that'll be really fun," Donner says in an interview on Fox Movie Channel's Life after Film School, as relayed by Comics Continuum. "I think [the plan] is to follow some of the characters into their own stories, and weave them back into the X-Men world. … And hopefully First Class will become its own franchise and we can follow them as they grow up."

x-men-first-class-20090415093631998.jpg

Huh. Donner is of course referring to Scott Summers (Cyclops), Jean Grey (Marvel Girl, Phoenix, et al.), and Hank McCoy, three of the original members of the X-Men in the comic. And First Class began life as a Marvel Comics series that chronicled the early adventures of that very same original X-Men lineup -- Cyclops, Iceman, Beast, Marvel Girl, and Angel. But when Variety broke the news last November that Gossip Girl and Chuck producer Josh Schwartz was writing the film, the trade paper said that the movie would likely "enlist such characters as Iceman, Rogue, Angel, Colossus, Jubilee and Shadowcat, who have appeared prominently or made cameos in prior pics."

So assuming that the producer of the film actually knows what she's talking about, it looks as though Variety had it a bit wrong with that synopsis -- Rogue and the rest would barely be out of diapers, if even, when the Beast was a young man. Also, the continuity of the X-Men films dictates that Iceman and Angel couldn't have been part of the original team, unless the filmmakers decide to ditch all of that and start from scratch -- which would make the film a reboot. Or could it be that the young Cyclops who shows up in X-Men Origins: Wolverine is intended to be some kind of tie-in to First Class?

Taken From IGN

I am quite looking forward to this, I think the X-Men franchise has good potential for movies. Hopefully this one though will focus more on them as a team, that was one of my problems with the other movies.

Also im hoping they dont cast them too young.

The third movie, while having positives, destroyed the franchise. Not because it was awful, but it's plugged any possible follow-up being made. Story and character wise. I blame the pointless deaths in it. Especially Cyclops. The worst thing ever. I know it "had" to be done, but still. Beurgh.

Not too keen on the idea of mutant Gossip Girls, tbh. I'd prefer they actually adapted First Class, a total reboot, using the original characters.

Or..y'know...you could just watch X-Men: Evolution... :p

Not too keen on the idea of mutant Gossip Girls, tbh. I'd prefer they actually adapted First Class, a total reboot, using the original characters.
Yeah I agree.

Also, yeah I think Cyclops is awesome, so I'd love him to be brought back in a series reboot.

It would be a bit rubbish otherwise watching him in films knowing he's ultimately gonna get killed off.

Like it or lump it Schwartz has proved he can handle teens, allbeit slightly melodramatic ones but what teens aren't melodramatic (Gossip Girl and The O.C., which is my like it and lump it in order) and action (Chuck).

It should be...something at least :p