Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Movie News Thread!

Retro_Link

So it sounds like Toy Story 3 is bringing the house down, and will likely finally provide Hollywood with the hit film it's been so craving this summer. But is this the last we'll see of Woody, Buzz and the rest?

In a word, no. But that doesn't mean that Pixar and Disney are planning a fourth Toy Story feature film. Rather, MSN Movies got the scoop on the future of Andy's toys directly from the new movie's director, Lee Unkrich.

"Well, I really tried my best to end the story of Andy and his toys and bring that story to a close in a really nice way at the end of this film," he says. "That being said, we know that people love the characters, love Woody and Buzz, and would hate to say good-bye to them completely. I don't know that there would ever be a [Toy Story 4]. We don't have any plans for one -- but we are trying to find ways to keep the characters alive. We have announced we're going to do a short film in front of Cars 2 that uses the Toy Story characters. We're going to keep them alive; they're not going away forever."

So there you have it. Not only will you see these characters again, but we even have a date for when that will be -- Cars 2 comes out on June 24, 2011.

Source - IGN.com

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dammit, Ridley. Why are you intent on destroying one of the best mysteries in Sci-Fi/Film history?

Alien doesn't need a prequel. Nevermind two. It has never needed one and never will need one. It's a story that is better left to the imagination.

Maybe a fresh new Alien tale would be better. But, an official prequel to the first is not something that I particularly want.

^ So ignore it!

Sure, you can ignore it by not watching it. But, you also can't ignore it because it's officially part of the series now. Hence why you can't really ignore the first three shitty (in numerical order) Star Wars films, why you can't ignore Terminator 3, and why you can't ignore Alien Resurrection. They're all part of the same series. It's the continuation of characters, the story and ideas. So, for example, you couldn't watch the first Lord of the Rings film, then ignore the second, and then watch the third. It doesn't keep with the series.

Alien Versus Predator I could happily ignore. It's an entirely new series. Not joined on to the main one/s. Kinda like how Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are in no way related (except some basic details like the names of characters, a basic setting) to Batman Returns or Batman Forever. It's not a continuation of the series. It's a new series. So, in short, for this, I'd prefer if it was a new "series" or story, rather than a continuation (pre-emption) of the original Alien.

Well yes obviously you couldn't use LotR etc... as an example because it's one complete story devided into three books/films.

However if you so wanted to you could ignore the Star Wars prequels because the original trilogy is a complete story in itself, it works as a whole, there are no questions left unanswered.

You can then look at the story of Anakin Skywalker as a seperate story.

Alien works the best out of all these examples, because where as George Lucas always had a prequel story in mind for Star Wars, that's not the case with Alien.

Alien works fine as it's own story, as you've said, these prequels aren't even necessary, it's just something the director has now chosen to do as a project.

Personally I'd just take them or leave them.

Well yes obviously you couldn't use LotR etc... as an example because it's one complete story devided into three books/films.

However if you so wanted to you could ignore the Star Wars prequels because the original trilogy is a complete story in itself, it works as a whole, there are no questions left unanswered.

You can then look at the story of Anakin Skywalker as a seperate story.

Alien works the best out of all these examples, because where as George Lucas always had a prequel story in mind for Star Wars, that's not the case with Alien.

Alien works fine as it's own story, as you've said, these prequels aren't even necessary, it's just something the director has now chosen to do as a project.

Personally I'd just take them or leave them.

I once had a big debate with a friend about Star Wars. He argued that Star Wars was the story of Anakin Skywalker. With the first three (1,2,3) looking at Anakin, and the last 3 (4,5,6) looking at Darth, with Luke challenging him. So, in essence, is it really two stories? I think of it as just one big story. Even the fact that the old trilogy has been re-numbered as 4,5,6 means that surely you also need to watch the three that precede it?

Yeah, he's chosen to do it long afterwards, but if these new films are meant to be part of the official series, then it's not any different to what's happened to Star Wars. With new films coming before the older ones in terms of timeline. So, it's a continuation of the story, like starting it from a new point and joining it to where Alien starts. I'm a huge Alien fan, big fan of the series, so I'm just not overly keen on this. Alien is already a good starting point for the series.

In short: Don't Fuck around with Alien! I will be absolutely heartbroken if it gets ruined like...*shudders*...The Phantom Menace.

Yeah I supose your right about Star Wars, in that it could be seen as the story of Anakin. It's down to opinion I suppose. Yes the original trilogy is numbered IV, V, VI (btw I thought it was always this, not re-numbered at any later stage, as it was always the vision), but if you want, they can be two seperate stories... with Anakin and Obi Wan acting as a connection....

In the same way that The Hobbit and LotR are two stories, connected by Gandalf, Bilbo and Gollum.

It is different to Star Wars in that the original Alien trilogy wasn't produced with a prequel story always in mind.

Yeah I supose your right about Star Wars, in that it could be seen as the story of Anakin. It's down to opinion I suppose. Yes the original trilogy is numbered IV, V, VI (btw I thought it was always this, not re-numbered at any later stage, as it was always the vision), but if you want, they can be two seperate stories... with Anakin and Obi Wan acting as a connection....

In the same way that The Hobbit and LotR are two stories, connected by Gandalf, Bilbo and Gollum.

It is different to Star Wars in that the original Alien trilogy wasn't produced with a prequel story always in mind.

I'm pretty sure they were just Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, until Lucas added the Eps bit onto it and changed Star Wars to A New Hope. I may have got that horribly wrong though.

Yeah, I see what you mean with the Hobbit and with the Alien trilogy (although it's a quadrilogy as Resurrection was made about only 5 years or so after 3). Saying that, there were stories that they had planned to use more backstory in the original film, with a "pyramid" or temple that was going to be on the planet, where you'd see wall-paintings which would look at the history of the spacejockey and stuff. It was cut for running time purposes and probably because it would have required lots of money and time to do. I was glad they cut it though, it sounds a bit too Stargate-y for me.

The original trilogy was always numbered 4, 5 and 6, they just added on the subtitle to episode 4

I know it's not a great source, but Wiki says that A New Hope was released as just "Star Wars." Then, The Empire Strikes Back was released with the number and subtitle. Then, after that, they went back (in 1981 apparantly) and added the episode 4 bit and subtitle to the first film.

I think I got confused because I'm pretty sure some of the merchandise was just marketed as "The Empire Strikes Back" or "The Return of the Jedi." But yeah, I got my original stuff wrong, so I lose at life. :(

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/110/1100559p1.html

Marvel Making Short Films?

A few months back we heard that Marvel was meeting with screenwriters and directors for a new wave of post-Avengers movie adaptations which would focus on the company's lesser known characters (and which would be less expensive for them to produce). And now that rumor has reemerged, only with an interesting twist.

According to Latino Review, a source within Marvel/Disney is telling them that the studio is now looking to do 10-minute short films that would run in front of their features, with the idea being that this would be a cost-effective way to introduce secondary characters like the Black Panther, Luke Cage, Dr. Strange and so on.

It sounds like a great idea. Not only do you give a character like, say, Moon Knight a chance for live-action glory, but if the shorts actually prove popular enough, these guys could get their own features eventually. Doctor Druid movie, here we come!

Does make me wory that this will lead to The Avengers being character packed!!

Mind you they've only got the chance to show two shorts (if they go ahead with them before Thor and C.A.) before The Avengers comes out!

Disney Pictures and Jerry Bruckheimer Films are hard at work – on location – with Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. Filming in Hawaii, the U.K., and Los Angeles, the beloved franchise is back with a fourth installment, and this time, it's in Disney Digital 3D.

The adventure-comedy, penned by Pirates vets Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, is set to be another action and humor packed tale of the exploits of Jack Sparrow. Sparrow (played by Johnny Depp again) is back for a new set of adventures and this time the plot centers around his exploits with a woman from his past, played by Academy-Award winning vixen Penelope Cruz.

As this mysterious woman re-enters Sparrow's life, he is torn between what could be passion or suspicion of this could-be con artist in search of the Fountain of Youth. She tempts him aboard the Queen Anne's Revenge, the ship of the feared Blackbeard (played by Ian McShane), and here, Sparrow must battle both feminine and pirate guile.

Though Pirates vets Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom will not be reappearing in the fourth film, Geoffrey Rush will be back as Barbarossa and Kevin R. McNally will return as Joshamee Gibbs. Several newcomers will be joining the cast such as Astrid Berges-Frisbey, who will be playing a mermaid, and Sam Claflin, who will be taking on the role of a rugged missionary.

On the production side, award-winning director Rob Marshall (Chicago, Nine, Memoirs of a Geisha) has stacked up the behind the scenes team with special effects and production design talent galore.

The fourth Pirates film is set to kick off the summer movie season (in 3D) on May 20, 2011.

Source - IGN.com

Speaking of franchises that need to die, Dreamwork's upcoming films:

• Oobermind (formerly titled Master Mind) will open on Nov. 5, 2010. Directed by Tom McGrath and starring Robert Downey Jr. and Tina Fey; It’s about a super villain (Oobermind) who falls into despair after defeating his foe, the super hero Metro Man.

• Kung Fu Panda: The Kaboom of Doom will be come out June 3, 2011. Directed by Jennifer Yuh Nelson, Panda will feature the return of the original voice cast including Jack Black and Dustin Hoffman.

• The Guardians, based on forthcoming books by William Joyce, will be released on Nov. 4, 2011. The world’s five unlikeliest heroes - Jack Frost, North (aka Santa), Bunnymund (the Easter Bunny), Tooth (the Tooth Fairy), and Sandy (the Sandman) band together to stop an ancient spirit called Pitch (the Boogeyman) from plunging the world into eternal darkness. Sounds intriguing.

• Puss In Boots will be released on March 30, 2012. Antonio Banderas is back as Puss, who tackles an evil Humpty Dumpty and a street-savvy Kitty who have stolen the famed Goose that lays the Golden Eggs.

• Another Madagascar sequel will be released on May 25, 2012.

• On Nov. 2, 2012, the company plans to release one of three projects currently in pre-production: The Croods directed by Chris Sanders and Kirk DeMicco, about a caveman; Truckers about a society of tiny beings living in a department store; or an untitled Super Secret Ghost Project, about … ghosts.

(old so may have been mentioned before but Madagascar and Kung-Fu Panda sequels, as well as Shrek spin-off are just facepalm worthy)

pussmovie.jpg

There's just something 'off' about that image. Looks like the female cat has been photoshopped in.

Puss in boots is great in Shrek, but his own feature film is just a no no really.

i'm really hyped for Shrek 4 though. kinda sad to see it's the last in the series but i guess it can keep rolling films out.

Kung fu Panda = Meh

Madagasgar 3 = Yay :)

i quite like the sound of the 'Guardians' film. and the super secret ghost film... well it was inevitible that they'd do a ghost film. done monsters vs aliens, done forest animals, done zoo animals, done make believe stories so yeah Ghosts seems right.

no over the hedge sequel :( i loved Hammy :p hammy.jpg

..... Truckers about a society of tiny beings living in a department store .....

Ooooooh, that only gets a teeny tiny line, but it's possibly got the most potential as it's a Pratchett book for kids. (Or Dreamworks are just ripping the plot from it, and hoping no one notices)

I know it's not a great source, but Wiki says that A New Hope was released as just "Star Wars." Then, The Empire Strikes Back was released with the number and subtitle. Then, after that, they went back (in 1981 apparantly) and added the episode 4 bit and subtitle to the first film.

I think I got confused because I'm pretty sure some of the merchandise was just marketed as "The Empire Strikes Back" or "The Return of the Jedi." But yeah, I got my original stuff wrong, so I lose at life. :(

I'm fairly confident that it was released as Star Wars, but the scrolling text at the beginning always said IV A New Hope.

Steph; yeah that's what Murr posted up there -- I'm presuming there was a thread merge somewhere...

Odwin; yeah, having truckers as a brief mention is a bit annoying. I loved teh bromeliad, but strangely I've actually not seen any of the live action/animated incarnations of his work at all.

It seems Shigeru Miyamoto likes the movie Scott Pilgrim vs. The World :D

Director Edgar Wright has managed to secure permission to include music from The Legend of Zelda in the upcoming film adaptation of Scott Pilgrim, but only after showing the film to Shigeru Miyamoto himself.

In a Wired interview conducted by star Michael Cera (via GoNintendo), Wright said that he needed Miyamoto's permission to include the tunes in a dream sequence.

"When I was writing to Nintendo to get permission, I was saying, 'This music is like nursery rhymes to a generation," Wright said.

The comic series is heavily inspired by video games, with multiple references to classic franchises. Wright added that Cera gets "all misty-eyed" any time Super Mario Bros. 3 was mentioned, with Cera saying that the game is "deep in my DNA."

Aside from the Zelda music, Scott Pilgrim will feature Beck and Broken Social Scene playing music for the fictional bands Sex Bob-omb and Crash and the Boys (via Pitchfork).

The film wll be out August 13.

1up

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!