Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Movie News Thread!

Retro_Link

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flashing images make the best trailers, because they give minimal amounts away, whilst making it seem more exciting than it actually is.

The trailer to Avatar is far superior to the actual film, because they used said technique.

The first thing I though when I saw the Avatar trailer was "well that gave the whole damn plot away".

I think there's the standard Avatar "here's what happens!" trailer and the teaser which had the stunning music in the background.

EDIT: Even the stunning music one basically gives you everything, though I didn't even know what the main concept for the film (the avatars) was when I walked in, and I'd seen the trailer.

Edited by Paj!

I just assumed it would be referring to;

av·a·tar   [av-uh-tahr, av-uh-tahr]

–noun

Hindu Mythology. the descent of a deity to the earth in an incarnate form or some manifest shape; the incarnation of a god.

It technically was (I liked the play on the word Avatar), but I didn't think it would be about mind-swapping bodies etc.

Oddly, after the first trailer, James Cameron's name was what I saw as the redeeming feature for Avatar.

He's okay and all that and he tries some pretty out there things, I'll give him that (or should I say he's not happy to settle with mediocrity, unlike Bays, in terms of the projects he takes on) but if I wanted something to blow my mindhole it wouldn't be Cameron.

He's okay and all that and he tries some pretty out there things, I'll give him that (or should I say he's not happy to settle with mediocrity, unlike Bays, in terms of the projects he takes on) but if I wanted something to blow my mindhole it wouldn't be Cameron.

I feel exactly the same - hence my low expectations for Avatar.

if you don't like cameron movies you simply don't like action movies... he does it like nobody else, NO shaky cam in his movies thank bollocks.

If you ignore die hard then aliens,terminator and terminator 2 are some of the best of all time for action. Avatar was a return to that formula, while not being as good as any of the above but still a worthy enough edition.

Iun, why do you live in Shanghai?

I like the tingling feeling I get from being under the yoke of an oppressive regime :)

OR:

I moved here three years ago, pursuing a dream of visiting China, developed some kind of career out of the ether, married and settled down.

Probably the first one though.

CHRISTOPHER NOLAN on SUPERMAN: "We Have a Fantastic Story"

The LA Times has some super news to start the day. Christopher Nolan is officially confirmed as shepherding the new Superman Movie franchise. That rumor about David S. Goyer writing it? Turns out that one is true, too. The pair will develop the story, with Nolan producing and a director to be announced later. The movie is still in early stages, and won't be seen in theaters until 2012 or 2013, however.

While Nolan said he liked the way Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns" tied to the first two Richard Donner "Superman" films, he noted this will be an all-new standalone take on the movie franchise of the first comic book superhero. His approach will be similar to his approach to Batman in one specific way: Superman will be "the only superhero" in his world. "I only know the way [to approach Superman] that has worked for us; that's what I know how to do," said Nolan.

The Superman ideas were born from a break in a Batman story meeting between the pair. Nolan said of Goyer, "He basically told me, 'I have this thought about how you would approach Superman.' I immediately got it, loved it, and thought: That is a way of approaching the story I've never seen before that makes it incredibly exciting." Goyer is writing the screenplay for their unnamed Superman movie now.

The collaborators, Nolan and Goyer, are also still working on a third Batman film, a reassurance to fans that they haven't forgotten the Caped Crusader. They've already locked down a general story, and now his "brother [Jonathan Nolan] is writing a script for me and we'll wait to see how it turns out...he's struggling to put it together into the epic story that you want it to be." They won't talk much about the third film, though Nolan re-iterated they'll be "finishing" their story.

As for villains for either film, Nolan bucks the villainy trend and does not reveal his master plan to the heroes. He did let one thing in, "It won't be Mr. Freeze" in Batman's third. He did also mention that the "key" supporting characters and the actors who played them in the first two movies will all be back for the third film, which mostly kills the fan-speculated idea of doing a far-future story similar to that seen in Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" comic from the 1980s. That story saw a much older Batman taking on a world that had deteriorated immensely. Nolan again noted that this is the end of his Batman story.

"Unlike the comics, these things don't go on forever in film, and viewing it as a story with an end is useful... And it hearkens back to that priority of trying to find the reality in these fantastic stories. That's what we do."

http://www.newsarama.com/film/christopher-nolan-superman-batman-100310.html

Now while im happy Superman seems to have someone onboard who has a proven track record with comicbook movies im not sure about them doing it their way that they know. I think the problem with previous Superman movies is that its been a bit too realistic. I mean the guy is an alien and I think we need to see him actually have to take on stronger people. Superman II did that ok but it could be done so much better now. It needs to be a credible, worldwide threat not just Lex Luthor being an evil estate agent again.

As long as Superman doesn't affect the greatness of Nolan's Batman films then I don't mind.

However, I doubt that even Nolan can change my opinion on Superman (a stupid, boring and immensely outdated character).

Day and Night is the short that'll be attached to Toy Story 3

Day_and_Night_title.jpg

I'll put the details under a cut, I know how anything about a film, even a one sentence description, makes Paj break out in spoilerhives :p

When Day, a sunny fellow, encounters Night, a stranger of distinctly darker moods, sparks fly! Day and Night are frightened and suspicious of each other at first, and quickly get off on the wrong foot. But as they discover each other's unique qualities--and come to realize that each of them offers a different window onto the same world--the friendship helps both to gain a new perspective.

Day & Night is being directed by artist and character designer Teddy Newton. This is his directorial debut at Pixar. Upcoming Pixar points to information suggesting Disney animator and story artist Kevin Deters as producer. Music will be by Michael Giacchino, a man who needs no introduction to Pixar fans.

So its not related to the much discussed boy and his dinosaur artwork. Hmmm.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!