Emasher

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty suh-weet, Edd. Who is it anyway? :smile:

Cheers :heh:

It's just a random character I've had in my head for ages, never really been able to get him down on paper though until last night/this morning. May have to re-do the eyes though, not 100% on the the shape...

I think anime looks mostly the same, too. But I also think a lot of stuff I'm not into, such as music genres, look/sound the same. I'm sure if I delved deeper into anime, and enjoyed it, I would realise the differences.

CardCaptor.jpg

7961pl5.jpg

tales_symphonia.jpg

anime-boy.jpg

Variations on the exact same style. Some seem to deviate. Naruto appears to be a bit more westernised for example. But yeah. You could sub most generic anime character models in for each other.

I seem to have trouble typing up a reply without it turning into some weird, shaky rant. Ignorance is wank...

*Attempts sensible post.*

Sometimes characters from two completely different anime look exactly the same simply because of a few reasons:

1) They were drawn by the same artist.

2) They were drawn by the same studio.

3) One anime was drawn by one artist who influenced the artist of the second.

4) Both were drawn by two different artists who were influenced by the same artist.

5) Because Bjork is shit. They both learnt how to draw the same style.

I've got many anime pics on my computer, which show very different art styles. I'll post here if you ask nicely.

Before then, what you should do is look harder. Browse a bit more into the different styles, and open your eyes. Because the Tales of Symphonia pic you posted looks nothing like any of the others. Especially Cardcaptor Sakura (or whatever the top one is.)

(No, I couldn't do it. Soz.)

I've got many anime pics on my computer, which show very different art styles. I'll post here if you ask nicely.

Before then, what you should do is look harder. Browse a bit more into the different styles, and open your eyes. Because the Tales of Symphonia pic you posted looks nothing like any of the others. Especially Cardcaptor Sakura (or whatever the top one is.)

)

Plz post.

I think they do look similar. Or rather, they do look similar. Not ALL anime, just the ones Paj posted particularly, but anime is a specific style so its not exactly suprising they look similar.

I seem to have trouble typing up a reply without it turning into some weird, shaky rant. Ignorance is wank...

*Attempts sensible post.*

Sometimes characters from two completely different anime look exactly the same simply because of a few reasons:

1) They were drawn by the same artist.

2) They were drawn by the same studio.

3) One anime was drawn by one artist who influenced the artist of the second.

4) Both were drawn by two different artists who were influenced by the same artist.

5) Because Bjork is shit. They both learnt how to draw the same style.

(No, I couldn't do it. Soz.)

Post them.

Most Anime characters look the same to me.

Because the Tales of Symphonia pic you posted looks nothing like any of the others.

It looks like your avatar. I'm not ignorant, I'm recognise it's a style, but the fact that it rarely deviates annoys me. I like the mix of styles found on things like Animatrix and Gotham Knight, but these styles never catch on. They aren't "pretty" enough it seems. Which is fair enough. But what I see what is loved (the ugly as frack women in Clannad) I despair slightly. (I don't care about abortion/miscarriage being shown better by ugly-faced women, i'm basing it purely on surface style)

Ignorance is wank...
Because Bjork is shit.

wonder.jpg

Well, call me a fanboy...

azuwall21280.jpg

sosbrigade3z.jpg

26851111356844.jpg

Here's an example of two by the same artist: Neon Genesis Evangelion and .hack//SIGN.

evangelion1361024.jpg

hacksign.jpg

And an example of different art styles of the same character is here:

clannad59wide1200.jpg

kyou.jpg

At first glance, some of them do look similar to one another. But if you do look closer there are many subtle differences that make them all different.

Do you see?

I also have a small quessie for Paj: Are you known to be the sort of person who always speaks their mind? I dunno, I'm just wondering...

I actually used to be into anime for a while, but I stopped having time for it. And I do agree that a lot of it just really looks the same. Of course there's exceptions to it all (just watch One Piece to see something that's quite different), but most of it -does- seem to have the same style.

And Villan, how do the last two pictures have a different art style? The character is drawn exactly the same, except one is cell-shaded while the other one isn't. That's not exactly a difference, as the style of the character itself is exactly the same.

Only hair sets most anime characters apart. There's basically 3 levels of anime eyes, giant shiny Clannad eyes, inbetweeney Naruto eyes and almost-nearly-normal Akira eyes.

But if you shaved all their heads you'd never be able to tell which character was which (with the exception of those with defining facial features, scars, tattoos, magic eyes etc)

I also have a small quessie for Paj: Are you known to be the sort of person who always speaks their mind? I dunno, I'm just wondering...

Is this sarcastic or what? I suppose I do if the issue is pressing enough/the other persons opinion is flawed incredibly.

• 3 weeks later...

This is what my uncle did with an A1 sheet, a few black biros and about 500 hours. Sorry for the quality, but it was taken with a camera phone.

IMG_0113.jpg

Won't be to everyones taste as they're a bit weird, but the level of detail is pretty impressive. You probably can't make it out, but he's done all the grain on the wood and made everything look like it's got texture